Delkevic Slip On's

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by James Bond, Nov 8, 2016.

1. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I'm thinking about springing for a 14" carbon soon. I just can't stand the HUGE, over-bearing stock monster muffler on the 8th gens. much longer.

I hear all the good stuff on them but are there any bad experiences with Delkevic's or any negatives anyone has to offer up? Now is the time to find out. Thanks. :eek:nthego:

2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I've got no complaints about my Delk mini carbon but I've only had it about a month or two.

3. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    No complaints either with mine, go for it. There is even a fitting guide on here written by an incredibly handsome Scotsman.

4. prelude222

prelude222 New Member

United States
    I bought the open end stainless steel for my 91. I did notice a huge drop in midrange power, I guess I have to get a rejet now. But it sounds amazing. :) IMAG0636.jpg

5. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    As far as I know, modern fuel injection is more self-corrective to small changes, like adding a slip-on, than carbs. No one I know has ever had to re-map after adding slipons to a fuel injected bike.

I've heard nothing but good things about delkavic, but I'm also a firm believer that you get what you pay for with this kind of stuff. I'd take a look at some of the really high quality companies like Two Brothers, Remus, Leovince, Akrapovic, etc. You're probably going to have this bike for a very, very long time unless you choose to get rid of it - may as well have the perfect (for you) exhaust on it!

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Delkevic's quality is spot on, sometimes you pay for a name rather than better quality.

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have a stainless tri-oval 14" on my 5th gen. Fits beautifully, and the finish has held up nicely over 20,000km and two years. No FI or power loss issues that I'm aware of. It even survived a low side crash with just a barely noticeable graze on the very end.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    My buddy bought the shorty CF slip on for his 8th gen, looks and sounds amazing. Can't beat it for the price.

9. motorn

motorn New Member

I have a c/f oval Delk. on my 1200. Fit and finish is excellent. Has a nice rumble at idle but not obnoxious at higher rpm. I recommend them,and the price is affordable

10. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Yeah the price is amazingly low - my mini carbon was only $239 - they could have charged me 2x that price and I would still been very happy with it. Since others are showing off pics of theirs I'm gonna post a vid of mine too - crank up the volume! :glee:
    [video=youtube;4kAW-HD5x_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kAW-HD5x_Q[/video]

11. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    My only regret, reguarding my Delkevic header for my G5, is that I didn't do it sooner.

Then Delkevic is lighter, no cat, and looks about a million times better than that rusty mess, that was on an other wise high quality machine.

Kudos to Honda on building a fuel injection system that doesn't need a PC to make it run right.

12. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    I've got the Stainless open ended version with the silencer removed. Love it. My only regret is paying the additional $25 for two day shipping only to find out that they are located about 15 miles from my garage. Damn it.

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I have one ordered. I looked at my stock can a while ago and I just can't take the horrid looks any longer especially knowing it's rather heavy. When I look at the right side of my bike, that's all I see is that enormous excuse of a muffler. I voted it out since I'm used to doing that...hehehehe....:eagerness:

14. mrspeirs

mrspeirs New Member

Just ordered a mini carbon Delkevic can. Should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get rid of the stock can.

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The 14" carbon unit came in this afternoon and it's installed. Not a hard job at all. I wasn't too impressed with the quality or apparent strength of the clamps and the center stand bumper is about half off in placement but not enough to be dysfunctional. I think you get what you pay for with a Delvic. The sound is as expected.....not loud either way. I plan to run it with the baffle in as it sounds better to me with just a low rumble. I don't like loud bikes or heavy mufflers so that problem is solved. The OEM muffler is very well made but heavy enough to work on a Peterbilt no doubt. It's the result of government looking out for our best interests as always.......did I say continue voting the bastards out? I'm sure it gained about 40 hp too. I'm taking tomorrow off so we'll see how the butt dyno feels. Prolly the same I suspect.

16. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

If I've heard it once I've heard it a million times, modern EFi adjusts, blah blah blah. Total Tosh, we don't have modern EFi. The Honda system is old, it's map based apart from the narrow band sensor closed loop areas.

True modern EFi as used on cars uses wideband O2 sensors & does self adjust throughout the rev range, our bikes do not. As the 8th gen is Euro4 & latest EPA compliant, it runs quite lean as standard. A slipon is unlikely to alter the engine gas flow significantly enough to require fuelling adjustments. So don't worry about it, but don't make false assumptions either. Old EFi like ours is more tolerant than Carbs because it uses maps, rather than a Carbs single jetting. If the engine runs hotter due to being to lean, the EFi uses a richer map & vice Vera's if it's too cold.

It's NOT correcting or adjusting the fuelling due to the mixture, just engine temperature, which all EFi have because they have to cope with running in the Arctic & the Desert !

17. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    My 5th gen had a similar alignment issue with the centrestand stop. You might try rotating the link pipe a little, it worked for me.

18. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I had the link pipe on and off a few times to get the centre stand stop just right.

19. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    The one on mine fits perfectly.

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I was able to ride the bike this weekend with the new slip-on and WOW, the bike is transformed much as unexpected. The handling is incredibly improved in twistys from, I guess, getting the 10 of so pounds off the rear and one side of the bike. Since that's all I ride, this was a great mod. The bike leans over so much easier and flicks much easier, now. Throttle response is transformed as well. Response is instant and the butt dyno says there is a significant power boost.

All of this just proves how restricted the airflow is on the 8th gen. through the monster OEM muffler. I'd of never believed it if I didn't ride it. Baffle in or baffle out makes no difference in performance and there is no fueling issue. I left the baffle out since either way is still quiet. Get rid of the OEM muffler if you have an 8th gen.