Delkevic Headers VS 6th Gen VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Action, Apr 16, 2009.

1. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    vfr.jpg

So heres a quick pic of my new toy. Unloaded it in the rain and now it's temporarily living in the corner of my garage.... Until I get to tearing it completely apart and rebuilding it from bottom up, in my usual obsessive-compulsive way. I can't comfortably ride a used bike unless I do that. Maybe I should add in paranoia to the OCD.

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    So back to the original reason for the thread. I fired up my 800 with everything bolted/tightened. It sounds SOOOOO much better even with the LEO quiet baffles in.

One thing I learned, I took the center stand off to put the headers on. You need to re-assemble the center stand prior to torqueing the header bolts and the down tube clamps. I tightened them all first then realized I can't get the right side center stand bolt past the header tubes to re-attach the center stand. Since I don't have the second set of gaskets anymore, I'm living without the the center stand for now. If it bothers me enough, I'll probably re-order the gaskets and attach it back on, but for now, my pitbull rear stand will have to do.

3. Guj

Guj New Member

Reek-

Could you throw the center stand on a scale for me? I'm wondering how much that thing weighs.

Also, keep us posted on if you noticed a difference with heat under the bike. I would imagine that losing the CAT would help reduce some heat under there.

4. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Will do tonight when I get home from work. I have everything in a little plastic bag, all the bolts/bushing/stand/springs so I'll just weigh that. My 93 didn't come with a center stand and I was thinking.... but I doubt it would even be close.

As for the heat thing, pap11y has me very paranoid about the heat and melting fairings so I definitely will be watching and paying attention in that department. I did re-install the right side OEM heat shield that bolts on with the rear brake master cylinder. I saw in the past a few left it off. The heat shield on top of the stock cats is not on the delkevics so I'm not sure how that'll effect the heat felt coming up from the pipes.

BTW, I'll be posting the delkevic header with a carbon Leo Vince high exit pipe (will need to weld together a custom tubing section from the header to the can) install impressions for my 93 very soon - if anyone was interested. I know the weight savings of the headers on that bike will likely be a push but the end can, from what I hear are anchors.

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, so the center stand, springs, bolts, bushings all in one tall Glad kitchen bag weighs..... a whopping 3 lbs 2 oz. Not overly impressive in terms of weight loss. If I hadn't messed up the re-assembly and wasn't so lazy, I'd put it back on.

6. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    You might be ok with the plastics. Yours has the bolt where the cat used to be. Mine didn't.

The effect of the melt was marginal..

7. Guj

Guj New Member

I'll take what I can get!

Even though it's not much, a few lbs here and there add up.

8. AWP34

AWP34 New Member

United States
    Are the Motad Headers easier to install ?

9. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Wel I'll be buying this when I can:

**DELKEVIC FULL SYSTEM LINK**

As you cant see it has the centre stand stop and gaskets/paste the works, I'l let you know how I get on

10. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    It appears Delkevic has changed their header design from the old one to the newer ones, anyone know if the newer fits better and or if it has better performance? Old version appears to be welded essentially into 1 piece whereas the new ones are in multiple pieces (perhaps allowing more fine fitment adjustments?)

Old Gen:
    product19_1b.jpg

New Gen:
    product3032_2.jpg

11. eddiechargerman

eddiechargerman New Member

I installed a new Delkevic Header today on my 05 model. Yep,it was in multiple pieces. Fits sweet and sounds sweeter than the original. The kit came with new clamps and a stop for the center stand. There is a small leak where the pipes join the collector, only springs hold these pieces together, not clamps. If it annoys me I'll try some sealant. Money well spent...me thinks.

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Aaahhhh sound clip would be sweet Mr.

13. GeraltZRivii

GeraltZRivii New Member

United States
    Bump to revive an old old thread... I actually just ordered a new set of the headers and got in touch with Delkevic. (Google Search FTW) Turns out they're now based out of Littleton Colorado, right up 25 from me! He said that they have since made a change to add the bumper to their headers that will hold the center stand on them. Order should be arriving Monday at the latest, which is fine, since I'll be getting my PCV on Tuesday. Make sure you're ordering the following part (pictures on their site have not been updated)
    SKU:HDR0016
    UPC:843789141058

I'll update this thread when I've received the part and I'll confirm.

14. GeraltZRivii

GeraltZRivii New Member

United States
    Indeed! Parts came in. Everything is in order, it came with the crush gaskets for the headers as well as a tab to stop the center stand! Images in link attached.

https://imgur.com/a/H6t9FeO