Decisions and Dilemmas...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by RGonVFR, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Since the seal only leaks under pressure (running) it only loses coolant but never overheats. In my case I never end saw a drip until i went looking for it.

2. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Again, thanks for all of the tips. After a week of not only not finding anything, but not losing coolant level and smelling it less and less, I found some drippings. Yeah? Anyway, the bike sat all weekend, I did some other maintenance (new front tire, unplugged the PCIII I installed a couple of months ago) started it up in the driveway for a minute (literally, just a minute) just to see if I reconnected everything and brought it back in to the garage. Now there is a small puddle under the bike. Right side fairing taken off and is wet, as well as a little coolant on the right side of the engine block. The radiator cap and everything around it is dry. Left side and front of engine look to be dry too. It looks like I'm getting closer to finding it. Does this sound like a water pump to you guys? Or just hoses in the vicinity?

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Water pump is on the left and around the foot peg area. The tricky bit, when finding leaks of any kind, is tracking the fluid. The fairing can mask it's true location by channeling it to another spot. If the wetness is high it is not the pump. Maybe it's the seal on the thermostat housing?

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes little pain in the ass leaks can travel from their origin and make you think its from somewhere else. Did you have it on your side or center stand? Do the opposite stand and check again, might reveal the origin better.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I just found this thread. I'll be checking all of the recommendations as I reassemble my bike. Thanks.

6. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well... It's been a few months since I changed the radiator cap with a Honda OEM part and I haven't had any leaks or issues. There's still an occasional smell of coolant, but the overflow bottle and coolant level are always where I left them, so I think it's just a residual smell coming from what must have soaked into the foam on the fairings.
    Still, I've decided to move on from the VFR to another Honda product, CBR F4i. That being the case, anyone looking for a 2000 VFR with 60k on the clock?

7. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    Personally, I'd park it up, and part it out.

And as a favour to you, I'll take the wolf under seat exhausts off your hands. ;)

In all seriousness - and as others have said - you're likely losing a small amount of coolant in the "V". Pain in the arse to get in there, but do it once, do it properly. (Renew all under throttle body hoses, clamps, o-rings, thermostat etc.), button it up, and ride for another 18 years.

8. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map

After much deliberation, I ended up selling the bike. Tearing the bike apart (my only form of transportation) was not a good enough sounding option for me. Paying someone else to do it just wasn't worth it as there were several others on CL with way less miles. Either way, I ended up getting an '06 CBR F4i with 2900 miles (not a typo), and am loving it.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OK until your parts start hurting.....

Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    All good, mate. I was just joking (hence the :wink emoticon)

Glad you're enjoying the F4i...

11. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Squirrel - I've noticed that things start to hurt after the second tank regardless of how comfortable it used to be.
    RC46 - No worries, I thought you were just messing with me a bit. All good.

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The F4 I is a great bike. I know a guy who has a quarter million miles on one. Still takes it to the track once in a while!

Lint likes this.
  13. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    250K?!? That's amazing. Does he do anything special to take care of it? Or is he just an amazing mechanic?