Cross-Country Tour

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by 80sNight, Dec 1, 2010.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I did an oil change on mine that cost me about $700.00 a couple years ago so I don't think this is too bad.

2. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Out with it...whatdya break?

3. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I got friends in Eastham (may have told you that). T'would make for a lovely holiday out there for sure, esp. to ride out. Where were you planning on going out that ways?

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    My pride....But I stripped the threads in the oil pan so had to get a new one of those put on at the shop

5. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Damn, Randy! How did they manage to spin that?
    It's much more the time it's taking than the money. Money is money, time spent waiting is time spent not riding/ working/ taking care of a recovering girlfriend. Eh, que serah, serah, I s'pose.

Eastham is really nice
    Wellfleet, my father, a few of his friends, and I have been going out there twice a year for a men's weekend kind of deal; no women, no phones, no TV, just beer, good food, and peace and quiet. I missed it this fall. The lower Cape is simply wonderful for relaxing, eating, and definitely riding! Just gotta watch out for sand... I found some really unbelievable twisties that were perfect, less the piles of sand perfectly placed at the apex of each turn. Taught me recovery techniques right quick.

6. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Ooooph, bummer, brother. We wrench, we learn. I pay someone to wrench... I learn to make more money.

7. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Twisties on the Cape? Rare indeed!

8. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Helicoil? I've seen those installed in an oil pan before without even taking the pan off.

9. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
  10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think they did something like that, but he had to pay Canadian prices which, I hear, are a tad higher than here. Or maybe he got a while new oilpan. Knowing him, he probably did go ahead and buy a new one. He rides the hell out of his bike and probably wanted it back like it was when he bought it.

:focus: Anyway... too bad you're not gonna make it out 80s night. Maybe next year. You could try and time it for R3-2012 the end of the world ride. It'll prob either be in May or June, and should be a good time.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Yup. I considered the helicoil but decided on the new pan. And it was the talented and oh so mechanically inclined Randy who stripped the threads, no one else, not the mechanic, not my son, not a friend, not even Captain Crunch or my invisible friend. Plain old fucked up me.

12. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Hopefully June, because I'll be out of school by then (I feel so young saying that...)

In far more recent news, my blue beauty is up and running! Holy Speed Traps, Batman, this brute can MOVE. Had my woman tailing me... ended up being she and I doing speed runs down 93; I look down, and BLAMO, there's 105 showing. I couldn't be happier to have this bike back. I just wish the PO hadn't been a foo' and left whatever sort of bumper or grommet secures the tank and keeps it from banging on every bump. Oh, and he should have saved the radiator shroud bolts, because that thing is making a terrible racket. Missing pieces aside, what a fantabulous, mind-bendinglylicious, corner-munchingly awesome bike.

13. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Sounds like you need the two little pieces of rubber blocks that go under the L & R seam on the tank. They keep the tank from resting on/banging against the frame.

Could also be the bolt on the back of the tank isn't tight.

The bolts for the rad (there's one upper & one lower on the left side only...the right side is a peg at the upper right) are cheap. Probably find them @ Ace...8mm hex head bolt.

The tank rubbers are probably a dealer-only item. Or Ebay.