Cross Country Ride 9/5/08

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Hotbrakes, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice........................

Nice set up and awesome photo. Don't forget to call me on your next trip:party2:

2. bike51

bike51 New Member

If you come around the NJ shore area, you are welcome here. Email me for phone number. Have fun. You lucky guys.

3. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Well the trip got cancelled thanks to Gustav. My buddy works on oil rigs in the Gulf and everyone is needed back at work now to clean up. He just rode off on his VFR for the 1200 mile commute to Louisiana. I'd post a pic of him leaving but my camera was dead.

I had another friend who was all ready to go minus one little detail...a 95mph ticket last week and he needs to get his lawyer and all worked out before court in mid October. So he's out.

But I did some thinking and right now I don't have to be back to work until October 12th! So I gotta do something right? Fuck it, I'm going. Probably not all the way to the west coast, but maybe to the Dakotas and down the Rockies to Texas, but I really have no idea. I'm just going to ride Northwest and see where I end up. I'll come home when I feel like it. Go where I want. I'll be bored out of my mind but I'll get used to it I suppose. Don't know when I'll leave either. Probably Saturday. My bike was already packed last week for the original trip, no sense in unloading now.

4. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Man thats too bad. Always a bit funner to have a riding partner...

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1 for Randy

And don't forget the wife...................................:ncb::unsure:

6. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Hate to hear about your change of plans. Similar thing happened to me a few years back. I did the same thing as you...I went any-damn-way!!! I had the best time of my life!!! The first day or 2 were a little lonesome, but after that, I realized that I could do anything I wanted, anything. I couldn't believe all the miles I could get in while riding solo. No point in stopping, nobody to talk to, might as well keep going. Good Luck.

7. BIGRHINO

BIGRHINO New Member

United States
    Map
    Sad to hear about the trip. But if your still going. Get an extra key for the bike and put 20 - 40 in cash under the seat in a waterproof bag. Some out of the way places dont do credit cards.

Good Luck

8. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

Hell yeah! Ride on into the sunset! Take care, check back in and let us know where you are! If you come up 95, my offer still stands!

Be safe!

9. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ill be in utah till about the 7th. Maybe you can meet me there....St George area...

10. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Well I've made it to the other side! It's been a lot of fun by myself. There are plenty of nice people to talk to so I'm not lonely. I've sweated, froze, and seen some amazing sights so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ewryly

ewryly New Member

Excellent job, Hotbrakes! I envy you. What's next?

12. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Well I'm nearly home now. I've seen some amazing sights, met amazing people, and even amazed myself with my bike.

The most interesting part of the journey I think was the trackday I did on Saturday at Barber. That's right, cross country ride with a trackday. NESBA was hosting a trackday at Barber and I met some coaches at the museum Friday afternoon and they invited me to come ride the Intro thing. So I got 2 FREE 20 minute sessions at Barber! The guy I camped next to had a extra set of leathers that fit too.

After Barber I rode to Deal's Gap. I was a little wary at first because of all the Hardleys and enforcement but ended up finding another VFR rider and started enjoying the ride. I was able to maintain a safe pace very close to the speed limit and still got a knee down a few times. Headers are what scrape after you remove the curb feelers and don't stick your knee out far enough.:strong:

Now I'm at my parent's in Charleston and I will be visiting the Atlantic Ocean making this a true coast to coast ride. Then back home on Thursday. This has been a truly amazing adventure, much of it made possible by the VFR. I recommend anyone owning a motorcycle to take an adventure, unplanned, away from the comfort zone of home, and RIDE!

[​IMG]