Cross Controlling or Counter Steering

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by weasel, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map

Seems to me that you love this thread, you need this thread, you want this thread. It was dead for 2 days, yet you chose to resurrect it. Why? Well, because you are bored, and it gives you something to do, and you are able to comment on a topic that you know more about that most others.

All I am saying is, stop bitching and whining, and acting like this is bothering you. You want weasel to come back, you need him to come back. He gives you what you need. A glimmer of hope. I hope for your sake that he does come back.

2. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I am addicted to this thread it is like my my drug my crack if you will.
    I need intervention please help me.
    I have no knowledge of physics or how they relate to turning a motorcycle at all - I am surprised by the fact that so many think they lean a bike to turn.

the only reason I know you " countersteer " is because it is the only question I got wrong on my written test.

I am not bitching or whining and I am now really enjoying this thread and my mission is to kill the tiger tiger with a thread that has some good info to pass along. Well maybe not all is good info, but all in good fun.

again please note all above is BS intervention is needed now please help!!!!

3. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    :lol: hahaha I commend you then. Please be aware that you have your work cut out for you! You better lure weasel out of his hole so you can get the revs back up in this thread ASAP! A tiger is not easy to be tamed.

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

5. Big3

Big3 New Member

Have you read any of this thread?

6. betarace

betarace New Member

7. Big3

Big3 New Member

8. monk69

monk69 New Member

Putting aside the fact that some bikes turn(cs)easier/faster than others..... Here's my stage two example: Take a RC(radio controlled)bike, they not only, don't need a rider(manikin), they work better without them. Only because the riding figure is stationary, unlike a real live person that leans so as "not" to fight the bikes own efforts to corner. So in real life if you could control a bike without someone riding on it to apply the throttle/brakes/etc., it would do better without the rider..... With one exception once the unriden(no rider)bike reaches its max speed/lean angle, and the curve just keeps getting tighter, it would need some type of weight to be put on the inside of the bikes turning side so it will lift up, so it can be steered even sharper..... Sound familiar.....

9. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Here we have O2 Rider contemplating his "countersteering thread"

[​IMG]

and here we have the answer for those with counter steering questions

[​IMG]

and finally the rest of us

[​IMG]

Give it up, you'll never beat the tiger

10. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

Well after looking at my pic Bear posted ( that must have cost you big $$$ for PI to get that shot ) my wife and kids have set me up for a little vacation in a nice but very padded room :whiteflag::kaboom::censored::closed_2:

So for those who did not learn anything from this thread, please click link below and start again :tape::kev::pop2:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/polls/24558-cross-controlling-counter-steering.html

:boink::cheersaf::welcome:

It might take some longer then others but the truth is in there.
    If you find yourself back here again still confused well here ya go :car: or :scooter: stick to those.

:tape::vtr2::vtr2::vtr2:

11. weasel

weasel New Member

poor lads, stuck on a compromised bike your whole life:spam:

That was a little harsh,, it is a very good bike,, could'a been better tho

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  12. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    If you got time, read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist, its a good book to understand motorcycling better.

13. betarace

betarace New Member

14. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I thought we were done here

Motorcycle Riding Techniques
    © 2002 - 2008, Raymond Wood

How to steer a motorcycle

For most motorcyclists, it is the art of cornering that gives them the most pleasure and satisfaction. So it is surprising to realise that not all bikers know how to steer a motorcycle!

When asked: "How do you turn a bike round a bend?" answers can include "I shift my weight to one side of the bike", "I push my arse out", "I lean the bike over", "I turn the handle bars in the direction of the bend".

In fact we all use the same technique whether we realise it or not.

At speeds of greater than say 20 mph / 33 kph it is impossible to turn a bike round a bend without using counter-steering. This means turning the handle bars in the opposite direction of the turn in the bend . For example: in a right hand bend, we turn the bars to the left and in a left hand bend we turn the bars to the right. Most of us started our two wheel careers on bicycles and at low speeds we do indeed turn the handle bars in the direction of the the turn. But at higher speeds this is reversed and we use counter-steering.

At much higher speeds there is an argument for shifting your weight right out and putting your knee to the floor but we are talking of riding on public roads in this article, not on race tracks where weight shifting is more appropriate.

Knowing that it is counter-steering that causes the bike to turn, greatly increases your ability to control the behaviour of the bike in bends.

If you are not familiar with counter-steering then start by being conscious of what is happening to your handle bars while in a turn. Get a better feel by making slight counter-steering adjustments so that you can judge the effect it has on your bike. Start to consciously use counter-steering at the turning point of future bends and your biking career will never look back!

Goto the Motorcycle Riding Techniques Website

15. Knife

Knife Member

United States