Could use Power commander advisement

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by The_Head, Jul 3, 2012.

1. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    Alright, I was considering ditching my VFR and going with a later model CBR1000RR, but I can't really afford it. So, instead, I want to get a little more oomph out of my bike. It's a 2004. Which PC would be the best? I think I want to keep the exhaust stock still but am open to sugggestions there. I have been searching and have read about the cozye tune. Would this work on a mostly stock bike? The only thing I have done to mine is a BMC airfilter.

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I used the cozye tune on my mostly stock (k/n air filter) and noticed an improvement in performance and also a drop in mpg's. 42 mpg to 38mpg with cozye map. I'm trying other free maps on P. C. Website. I'm just trying to smooth out throttle and vtec and keep my fuel milage up.

3. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

A PC III USB on my 2004 did/does a great job smoothing things out.
    I use the cozye_ver5.djm, O2 eliminators, PAIR valves disabled, K&N, otherwise stock. I haven't experienced a big loss in mileage. I still get 40+ unless I start hammering on it and then I can drive it down into the 30s pretty easy.
    It won't make your VFR a CBR1000, but I think you would like it.

4. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    What is a good program for a 99% stock bike? Or do you have to do pair disablement ant 02 sensor eliminators to get the most out of a power commander?

5. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

I think the O2 sensor eliminators are required if your bike has O2 sensors.
    I don't think the PAIR valves need to be eliminated. I had already done that mod so I just left them disabled.

Lots of people think the Cozye map is as good as any available. I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't come up with an even better one.
    It's the only one I have ever run so I can't comment on any others.
    My bike is basically stock. The K&N being the only thing different and I'm not sure just how much difference it really makes.
    All I can say for sure is that the K&N, PAIR valves disabled, O2 sensors eliminated, PC 3 and the Cozye map I listed make for a completely different motorcycle.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Head - you're never going to see tons of power out of these bikes, short of putting a supercharger on it or investing a whole lotta time and money. Even with the standard mods - air filter, exhaust (a header might help a little more, but not much), PC 3 or 5, you're still only going to gain a few ponies at best. Maybe the deflap and snorkel will help, but the jury is still out on that one.

You can, and will, definitely smooth things out with the mods mentioned above. If you're willing to give up some top end, then also consider changing your sprockets. Up 2 on the rear and/or down 1 in the front will give you a whole lot more down low (such as if you're looking to wheelie). Changing sprockets will also require a speedo-healer.

If you're planning on doing the PC, the best thing to do will be to bring it to a shop and get a custom map. That's truly the only way to get the full advantage of a PC. The free maps will help, but custom is the way to go. I think that if you order a PC 5, they'll tell you about the 02 eliminators. Not sure if it comes as part of the package, or if you have to buy separate.

You could also do some research on the 02 eliminators. On my 2000, the header was swapped for a 1999. My original header had a cat and 02 sensors. The '99 does not. I was able to bypass the system by installing Radio Shack 330-Ohm resistors. A package of 5 cost me less than $2. Part number 271-1315. Have no idea if its the same for year bike - probably not - but its a start. I've been running it this way for over a year. No issues, no problems.

If you're thing is top end, flat out, gotta do 150 every time I'm on the highway, the VFR probably isn't for you.

VFRs are worlds different than your late model liter bikes. I only point out my comments above to save you some money in "wasted" mods if you're looking for crazy HP.

Good luck though and keep us posted.

7. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    I understand what you are saying, I am just looking to spice it up a bit, make the transition to VTEC smoother and kill the dead spot at about 4500. Is 10 more at the wheel out of the question?

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I modified my post while you posted yours.

10 more HP? That's probably at the very upper end of what you could get, and I definitely think it would require a custom tuned map.

9. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    I will probably just leave it alone for now then.

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sometimes I talk to much, so to get to the point: Doing some of the things you do with almost certainly smooth it out, and net you a few more ponies. If your objective is to make things smooth, then go for. Smooth is fast.

11. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Something I've been thinking about and was reminded of on this weekends episode of Muscle Car is water-methanol injection. Not sure if they make a system small enough for a bike but is suppose to make the same HP as 116 octane gas would make but with only 91 octane. Plus it might help this bike run cooler!! LoL

12. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    I ran a water/methanol kit on my heavily modded Subaru STI for years and was able to run a lot more aggressive maps with it. Not sure where you would fit a adequate size tank though??:confused: Factory saddlebags?:biggrin:

13. Guj

Guj New Member

What are everyone's thoughts on a nitrous kit? I dont know what you could jet it down to, but an extra 10hp at the flick of a switch would be pretty nice. Tuning could be a nightmare, blown plugs, running extra lean... I dont know just throwing it out there.

PS. how much does nitrous even cost? how much would it be to keep a 2lb bottle as a spare?

14. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    I love this bike because of the fuel injection, easy starting, no fiddling with carbs, etc. I feel if I went with nitrous or water/meth, it would kind of spoil that.