Cortech Sport Tail Bag & Saddle Bags

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by KC-10 FE, Apr 10, 2007.

1. indyvfr

indyvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Cortech Sport Tail Bag Mount

I have an '07 and I've used the Cortech Sport Tail Bag once for a 1,200 mile trip. I wrapped one strap around the grab rail and used the hook on the bottom side of the grab rail to secure the strap. Placed the other strap (toward the front) over the tail section and attached it to the built-in hook on the passenger footpeg. I used 3M paint protection film on the tail section to prevent the strap from scratching paint. It worked well, but I just ordered the hard cases to make future trips easier.

2. mrlawlor

mrlawlor New Member

I'm buying my first VFR and to get it home I'll be doing a 1700mile road trip. When I save up the cash I'll be buying the hard cases from david silver spares (this forum is awesome). Until then I need another option .. do you want to sell me your Cortech Sport Tail bag? Anyone, anyone????

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    so how did the generic ones go? no don't reply here. create a review thread telling us about them with a pic and where you got them in case someone else would like them... :wink:

4. mech2006

mech2006 New Member

Will the Cortech sport saddle bags work with a high mount exhaust? Does it provide the minimum 2" clearance?

5. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    just got Cortech "tri-bag" saddlebags like this [DLMURL]http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...tid=146&cat=31[/DLMURL] yesterday. any inputs regarding mounting & securing, road handling at hway speeds, etc. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
  6. raleighmojave

raleighmojave New Member

cortech saddlebag mounting

Is it possible to mount under the seat? I'm thinking with a passenger, it wouldn't be very comfortable sitting on the straps. Is there any alternative?

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm looking at bags as we speak, and my concern is with my 2B Hi mount (aluminum series).

According to the folks at New Enough, the one set of saddle bags they recommend for bikes with a hi-mount exhaust are the Nelson Rigg 900 Mini. They say this is the "only recommended bag" for hi-mount exhausts.

The dimensions on the 900 Mini are 15L X 6W X 9H. (sorry to our international readers - that's in inches). Guess that's about 13.3 liters per side.

The dimensions on on the Cortech Tour Master are 14.5L X 11W X 8.5H. That's 20 Liters per side.

Note the dimensions are different between the Tour Master and the "Sport" Tour Master. Appears the Sport edition has a height of 11 inches.

It would seem, based on the measurements above, that the Cortech is actually shorter than the 900 mini, and therefore it would (presumably) be further away from the exhaust.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. ChristopherB

ChristopherB New Member

Stand-offs for the Cortech Sport Saddlebags

I'm taking delivery on a new 2007 VFR later this week :biggrin:. I already have the Cortech Sport tail and tank bags:thumbsup:, and would like to add the saddlebags to complete the set. I found this possible solution to the exhaust problem at that *other* VFR forum. Looks like it might just work...

My Saddlebag Solution - $100 - VFRD

Chris

9. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Be warned that the rain cover for the Cortech does not like high speed runs - I lost mine in Tennessee somewhere on I-40 between Knox and Nash.

10. ChristopherB

ChristopherB New Member

Will keep that in mind...thanks.

Here's another idea for soft saddlebags on 6th gen bikes: Nelson-Rigg sells a heat-resistant pad "designed to protect the back panel of our saddlebags from hot under tail exhaust pipes." The medium size fits their CL-950/1000/SSC-150 bags, which are pretty close in size to the Cortech bags. Might be able to rig up something...

11. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

+1
    Anyone using these on a 4th gen with a high mount staintune?

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 5th Generation, not 4th, and I have a 2 Brother hi mount. Based on your pictures in your photo album, it appears the position of our exhausts are pretty close.

I ordered the Cortech bags and received them yesterday but I did not go with the SPORT version. Simple reasoning was the dimensions of the bags.

Regular Bags: 14.5”(L) x 11”(W) x 8.5”(H)

Sport Bags: 12”(H) x 15”(L) x 7”(W) (Or 10" W if expanded).

Don't know if my logic is sound, but I'm hoping that by having a shorter height, they won't hit the exhaust.

I was too tired to try and actually install them last night, but in removing my seat, laying the bags down and kind of eye-ing it up, it looks like they will clear the exhaust, but its gonna be close. I think if I had gone with the Sport bags, there's no way it would have made it.

I like the way the Sport bags look a little better, but for me, it was about functionality first.

Sorry I can't be more specific, just trying to give you an idea.

13. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Thanks for the comments. If possible, please post pictures once you install them. I'm about to order the tail bag and now I'm debating about getting the saddle bags. I also would prefer to get the sport bags.

14. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map

Well I'm sure there are people out there more creative than me, but as far as mounting these saddlebags, I just could not find a way that I felt comfortable with - i.e. either it was too close to the exhaust, or too far forward or back, etc. (For reference: 2 Brothers hi-mount)

Could it be done? Probably, but with all my adjustments and readjustments, I still didn't particularly like the way the bags we situated, so I'll be returning them. I'll stick with a tail-bag for the time being. :smile:

15. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Thanks. I could not find a picture of anyone with these bags and a high
    mount exhaust. I went ahead and ordered the tail bag only.

16. afinepoint

afinepoint New Member

I have 1000 miles on the bags without incident. They ride high and squarely against the shields. It is amazing that the outer padding is not damaged. The retailer did state if the bags or pads are damaged he would replace them.

On a finer note anyone considering using these bags should realize that although the bags may withstand the heat the contents may not. My jacket liner and paperwork gets toasty warm on my ride to work. I would definitely keep electronics, food and delicates to the outsides. I put my pager and such in the outer pockets.

To reduce the effects of the heat I have placed insulating material (kitchen potholders) between the inner sides and contents until I can install something permanent.

Reg

17. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Do you have pics of your setup?

Thanks in advance.

18. afinepoint

afinepoint New Member

No I don't. I'll see about posting one since there's a request.

Reg

19. afinepoint

afinepoint New Member

Here's the pictures. [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

20. grump

grump New Member

I put the fiedsheer set up on my '98 and took off for seattle for a week. They worked great are easy on and off. saddlebags expand slightly and the tail more so. Price was great as old bike barn had'em on sale.