Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator + Australian Plates - Anyone Made It Work?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Lucanos, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Lucanos

Lucanos New Member

Hey Guys,

Hoping I can tap into the knowledgebase here. I bought a Competition Werkes fender eliminator, planning to fit it to my '02 VFR800. A quick check of the mount (when it arrived) shows that the Australian (NSW) Number Plate I am trying to tuck away is about 10mm (1/2") wider than the mount on the fender eliminator.

I see this as causing no end of grief, as I assume that the clearances between the f.e. and the stock pipes is less than 5mm each side, meaning that either I need to shave/bend the plate or try and push the mount deeper under the seat to a point where the pipes split enough to get the required clearance. Add to that needing to redrill the holes in my plate to match, and customise the rego-tube as well (as it, too, is made for Australian standard plate sizes).

I know that there is an alternate technique available No-gear-required fender eliminator, but, having paid $80 for the Competition Werkes number, I'd like to at least use it (and maybe reduce how stupid I feel for having bought something which just doesn't work - at least not out-of-the-box).

Any advice greatfully accepted. Worst come to worst, I will use the trick linked above and maybe try and flog the Competition Werkes number on eBay.

Cheers,
    Luke

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    shave the plate down 6mm on each side and redrill the holes... as long as your DMV doesn't care about modifying the plate at all.....

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I went and looked the the link... it looks like your fellow Aussies have just removed the mug guard.. that one looks good and you don't have to modify the plate at all..I would go that route.. send the eliminator back ofr put it up for sale on flebay... good luck with which ever route you go...

4. Larrakin

Larrakin New Member

Australia
    Ordered and got delivered CW fender eliminator kit. At this stage due to the size of the rego plate here it won't fit so have done the removal of the plastic mudguard.

It was a bit of a fiddle bit the results are much better without the rear spade. I did notice when trying which way I wanted the bracket/plate to sit that if you turn the bracket around 180• with the light facing up, that it will sit up nicely between the pipes but not as recessed as the CW.

I have a Leo Vince exhaust to fit soon so I anticipate doing this mod and will update on how I go.
    Cheers.

Larrakin ;-)