clutch EBC vs Barnett vs ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow. Obviously I can't doubt you, but I've replaced a lot of clutches and I've *never* seen Barnett springs be weaker than stock. Have you replaced the clutch fluid ?

As a followup to my last post, I just a did a 600-mile weekend where all day Sat. was stop-n-go as I read a route sheet to go point-to-point. Then hammered home yesterday. The clutch response was perfect the entire time. <shrug>

2. Spike

Spike New Member

I put Barnett clutch plates and springs in my 98 VFR, didn't notice any huge difference from OEM.

3. Massimo

Massimo New Member

Difference between the clutch discs in the set

I just bought the Barnett discs and I got 9 discs that look exactly the same. Could anyone tell me what the difference is supposed to be between the 8 discs and the last one?

Thanks!

PS: It's an 87' VFR700F

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    On my '98, one of the fricton disks had a larger inside diameter. This one goes in first.

5. Massimo

Massimo New Member

Thank you for the reply. All 9 friction discs I got are exactly the same. I hope they didn't ship me a bad set, it does say for 87' VFR700R, Barnet model HPK-61.

Anybody with experience with a 2nd Gen?

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    wow awesome thread. i cant believe i never saw this one before. a lot of things make sense now. im pretty sure ive got a damaged clutch basket. thinking about inspecting it when i do my next oil change.

7. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    if your clutch basket is damaged, youll likely REALLY know it. luckily, a part like that shouldnt be too terribly hard to find on ebay, or worst case scenario, powesportspro.com or somewhere of the like. if your basket IS busted, you really outta check that out sooner than later. thankfully, it shouldnt be too hard to replace.

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thread Res!

Which one did Toe use that didn't work so well on his SC setup?

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    It was a Barnett carbon fiber. Went with a stock clutch with 100lbs springs as the cure. The Barnett was unridable it was so poor but they did send me a differnt set up with thinner plates so I could ad another friction but never installed it.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    You need to run the Bigger I.D. friction with the judder spring or it will chew into the hub.

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    There are such mixed reviews about the barnett clutches. Some say it's great some say they suck. I put a Kevlar Barnett in my nighthawk and it was horrible, basically like how my Vfr has been since I bought it.i don't know what to do, I guess I'm just going to take it apart inspect it and polish out any/all groves that may be on the fingers. My clutch isn't slipping at all. It's completely opposite. I don't feel like I need anymore added friction or pressure. I think the discs are either warpped or the basket has groovese in it.

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the help toe. Do you think maybe I'd have better results with the Kevlar instead of carbon fiber?

13. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have used OEM plates for the last twenty years as aftermarket plates back in the day would wear into the fingers of the basket and only bought the Barnett thinking it would be an improvement but was wrong. An OEM clutch with a beefier spring is what I would recommend, money in the bank when all is set and done.

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Where do you suggest I get the oem plates from? Bike bandit? And the 100 lb springs? My dad was telling me he thinks the plates may be glazed over and says it might be possible to save them with laquer thinner and maybe a light 1000 grit sanding. I just don't see how replacing oem plates with oem plates would fix anything, as I'm pretty sure the bikes always been like this... I don't know if maybe the previous owner beat the bike up or maybe I did it, I can't even remember anymore lol. So I guess the problem is just the springs are too light, and i could get away with leaving the plates alone and just swapping out the springs??? Thanks for all your help toe!

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i guess i should just order a set of barnett springs and a gasket, then just swap them out when i change my oil. maybe do an inspection to while im in there.

16. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    I have used EBC fibres & steel plates on my singles, twins & fours for 20 years & unless you like super fast takeoffs & slipping your motor to 5000rpm for traffic light takeoffs/racing or you race your bike, the EBC stuff stands up ok.

Barnetts are definitely stiffer/tougher & have less finesse or finer feel - OEM are great but benefit from slightly stiffer springs (or putting extra washers under the springs to compress them a tad )

A cheats trick is to buy new fibres & bead blast or sand the steels with 1200 or 800 paper to rough them up . (if they slip at a race track, this is a way to get by if you don't have a spare clutch set. Just make sure the steels are flat by laying them on a piece of glass - if they are bent - chuck 'em!

Running synthetic oil on a 100,000k old clutch after running mineral is a sure way to get clutch slip. As is not replacing the springs after an engine build with new fibres or steels.

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    just switched out the springs and filed down the rough edges on all the plates today. seems much better, i can leave stops at 5 grand, no problem now.