Cherohala Skway + Tail of Dragon ride May 15-16

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Joey_Dude, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

I doubt it. Ill be up there on my own riding around, but Im sure Ill run into some of you out there somewhere.

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    :frown: I thought we had something special...

LOL, knock yourself out, have fun. The only catch is if you want to be welcomed back to the VFRWorld gang you have to drag at least one knee and submit a picture of your scratched up knee pucks along with a killboy.com photo. :thumbsup:

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Well, so far I got to say I can only do a ride May 16th because my money's a little tight. I'm thinking of staying at a hotel up there somewhere friday night so that way I won't have to do a hike tomorrow morning.

park800 just emailed me a link for this hotel that looks good: Two Wheel Inn near Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway

4. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

Two Wheel Inn is awesome, but I called 3 weeks ago and they were booked up for that weekend unfortunatly. I am now staying at the Microtel Wed-Sun.

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Damn it, well that was the only hotel I'm willing to stay in because I don't feel good about leaving the bike outside. I guess I'll just stick with the original plan to meet up at the intersection of Hwy 515 and 60.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    An update, I just talked with nunyadamnbiz and if the weather's good we'll crash at TWO up in suches on friday night. That way we can save some early morning riding. If anyone wants to join along let me know! FYI TWO has a website at Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort and Campground

It's only $12 a night to camp there.

Oh, for the non-campers we're gonna meet at the intersection of Hwy 515 and 60 at the Kangaroo gas station at around 10 am saturday May 16th.

Is that good with everyone?

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Yo Dude I'd love to join you for this but I'm heading to WV for some touring with a buddy or two.

If I have my way, I will make a return trip to Deal's Gap later in the year. I want to be there when the circus is in full swing just to see what it's like. We'll have to meet up.

8. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds good, I'm sure I can learn a lot from a kneedragger like you! I'm thinking of maybe doing another one in september. Pretty far ahead I know but it's hard to get a hotel reserved.

btw, I like your sig LOL It's true for my 5th gen bike too! All I got to say is distilled water + water wetter brings the temps down a little. Not a while lot but every degree helps with those V4s.

9. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    OK Dude let's shoot for September sometime. I haven't been on the bike for a week in a long time and I've been meaning to. I plan to take a solo tour down through West Virginia, into Kentucky and south from there.

If you've never done it, there are few things better than a solo tour. Not that I don't love riding with the buds but there's something about being out on your own with your own pace and your own agenda. I can feel the stress leaving already...

Gotta' tell ya'. Your screen name has made it easy for me. I say dude all the friggen' time!

10. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

Thats why I chose to take my trip solo next week up to the Gap. If you go in a group, you are almost forced to go where they want to go, when they want to go, as fast as they want to go. Since Im going alone, Im free to see everything I want to see.

11. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    heh heh, my screen name came from how I seem to have some magical quality to make friends with weed smokers. You know how there's that stereotype of potheads saying dude...

Just about every significant friend I've made so far smokes or has smoked at some point in their life. And get this, I don't smoke weed (tried a few times, just not my bag) :confused:

Cool, I understand that I've done solo rides before. Only caveat I have for you is be extra careful because if you crash it might be hard to get help.

Make sure bring a flat tire patch kit and have some kind of roadside assistance membership for motorcycles. And VERY IMPORTANT see if you can store your cell phone somewhere inside your bike like under the seat or in a tank bag. You don't want to put the phone in your pocket because what if you crash and you land on the phone. Now your phone's broken and you can't get help at all.

12. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    not true! ive rode in a few group's and its always been the fast in the front and the slow bring up the rear! :thumbsup:

13. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah but then the fast guys are still stuck waiting for the slow guys at the change of direction :biggrin:

14. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    A mini update, ride's still on with a small change. Instead of me camping at TWO friday night I'll just meet up with you all saturday morning 10 at the 515 and 60 intersection. As it turns out at work there's going to be a fundraising event that friday night and I won't be able to ride up to TWO.

Here's to hoping the weather gods will be nice to us! :pray:

15. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    joey i cant make it i called those a-holes and they cancelled my oder becouse the part where discountiued ( thanks for leting me know dick heads!) so ive had to order the two gaskets from bike bandit, and i doubt they will be here by anytime soon :mad:

16. katat58

katat58 New Member

Map
    Joey, Me and a buddy (he's commin all the way from Colorado) are just goin to miss you all by a day! We're plannin on arriving at the TWI on the afternoon of the 17th and leaving out the morn of the 22nd. If any fellow VFR riders are there that week look us up. I'll be on a white 06 VFR with Arkansas plates and he's riddin a 919 with Colorado plates, naturally!

17. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I'll be around the area. I'm meeting a friend somewhere around Robbinsville sometime on the 17th so I'm planning to do an overnight in Tellico Plains and then come across the Skyway Sunday morning if all goes well. If you see a dark red VFR along the way wave 'cause it might be me ;)

18. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Aw bummer, that sucks! When you get the bike up and running again, we'll get another ride going!

19. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    That works out perfectly since you can now babysit for me and I can go! I don't really want to ride all day on some of the best roads around, I am doing this soley as a favor for you Matt so that you can get some practice for when your kids arrive :biggrin:

I'm seriously considering this trip and will ask for permission from the wifey today. After all, I'm just a rooster living in the hen house.

Regards,
    Rollin

20. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    The forecast looks spotty for the 16th, everyone needs to pray for clear skies and if someone has something to sacrifice to the allmighty weather gods they should think about doing it soon.