Changing fork oil - simple method?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Surlycamera, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Do you have air tools? 3/8 impact gun with a metric hex head on the end works, if not you have an electric impact gun/drill? It takes that initial shock to brake the bolt free, and to install it too. You zap that sucker on faster than the dampener rod can spin and your hopefully good to go.

2. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    Tried an impact, didn't work. Literally I spent over 4 hours on that one bolt. Tried everything I could think of, no luck. Took it to a local Honda dealer and they were able to get it to seal. NEVER taking that off again.

3. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    I used 7.5 golden spectro, down from 10 Lucas. Doing fork seals today gonna try to honda 5w. Btw for anybody who doesn't know OOTV is a true G.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

JTC, the shim stacks in those forks are configured to run the Motorex 5wt, which is eqivalent in viscosity to the Racetech US1. I wouldn't go any higher than 5wt. I would use the Motorex, as it's a little easier on the wallet than the US1, with identical damping characteristics.

5. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    0415150152b.jpg , 0415150152a.jpg , 0415150149.jpg , 0415150152.jpg , 0415150153a.jpg , 0415150146a.jpg , 0415150144.jpg , 0415150150a.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  6. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I removed the forks from my 5th gen, pumped out the old oil and hung them up overnight to get as much to drip out as possible, I just removed the top preload cap, spring etc, the damper rods are still in place. fork seals are fine.
    I've read conflicting advice on whether to try and rinse them out inside with kerosene or brake cleaner, the oil that came out wasn't too bad and I'm not sure if it's the original fork oil in this 99 bike, she has 20k miles done now, by the looks of this oil if it's 22 years old it ain't too bad!!
    I'm putting new Motul 10 wt fork oil in, not changing springs this time.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If I am not doing seals and just doing a flush for some reason, I will usually buy the cheapest fluid on the lighter side and cycle/flush a couple times before adding the proper oil at the correct level.

But I've also found for some reason the fastest way to make older fork seals leak is to change the oil. Seen it so many times.

VFRIRL likes this.
  8. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thanks, hopefully the new oil won't cause the old seals to leak, next time I'll do a full strip and replace the slider bushes etc, might go for new springs and a new shock then too, for now I just fitted new tyres and changed the fork oil and give her a good clean up. ready for some bright Spring days if we ever get any and get out of this bloody lockdown. 5km limit here now, essential journeys only.
    I'm a bit wary of using the kerosene or brake cleaner, I have a very small amount of spare 10 wt fork oil I might just give them a swish round with some of that, it's a different brand 10wt to what I'll be filling with but that shouldn't make any difference.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    When I have done neglected forks (talking 25,000 miles +) the fork legs have been thoroughly mucked up, I used a can off brake clean on each one. I am not a fan of Honda Fork oil, their 5 weight is too light. I like going with 7 weight, that is either here nor there though. I like using Kerosene btw, gasoline works nicely too. Get a nice slim paint brush and get yourself a little metal dish and fill with kerosene. Works like a charm.