Cell Phone Death

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Maggot, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    My sister-in-law just sent me this e-mail about a car motorcycle crash. I don't know how old it is, but this is the first time I saw it.

A VW driver talking on a cell phone pulled out from a side street in front of a Honda motorcycle rider doing an estimated 85 mph. The riders reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid the crash. The VW actually flipped over from the force of the impact. Two in the car were killed along with the rider of the bike. The riders body was found in the car. The bike looks like an older VFR. These pictures were taken at a motorcycle fair where the police brought the wreck to show as an example. I think the cops should have parked it in front of all the area cell phone stores also.

Attached Files:

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I actually saw a very similar accident just after the rider put his bike in the back seat of a car down in LA. It wasn't that one, though. I think the car was silver but it was a long time ago so I'm not positive.

3. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    I wonder how they removed the bodies and blood with the bike in there. Cell phones use while driving should be punishable by a heavy fine (somewhere around $1000 to $2000) and prison time (at least a day) to make it inconvenient enough to reduce the activity. The stupid law we have in Ca is BS; everyone still uses their phones like there was no law.

+1 on parking that wreck in front of a cell phone retailer. Maybe the moto was going fast, but if the distracted driver pulled out in front of the rider, cell phone use while driving is mostly to blame.

4. jcoplen

jcoplen New Member

Dude Thats An Rc30

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, it's a shame in more ways than just the rider. of course anytime someone dies it's a tragedy, but those bikes are getting rare also.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Was an RC130.

How did they get them out? In chunks and a hose.

If this had been a movie star or some politician either driving the VW or on the bike, the law would be changed or enforced as the case may be. Until that time the phone companies are buying off the politicians and there ain't nothin that can be done about it.

Bottom line is the phone companies have billions of dollars at stake and so what if a few bodies pile up? Do you think they really give a shit ?

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    this one was passed around awhile ago....only it was said that it was just a high speed collision...

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I believe the bike was placed back in the car and is being used as a public awareness prop. I have seen a few stories attached to these photos.

Regardless of the actual circumstances...ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

9. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the updates everybody. I never saw these pictures before so I didn't know how old it was. If it is old and if it is staged, it is still a good reminder to be careful out there.

As usual the forum puts it all together!

Thanks again!

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I believe like Drewl said the accident was real... just it keeps changing stories... the bike waas removed more than likely to extricate the victims.. then put back in by the police to use as it is being used now..

11. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 on also displaying it at cell phone retailers. I do ride as if everyone is trying to kill me. The cell phoning driver was inattentive and part of the cause no doubt. But if the biker was indeed traveling at 85 mph on a road with side streets then guess who is really at fault? Had the biker been going a reasonable legal speed reaction time could have saved everyone. Too many of the riders I know treat the public highway as a track day event. The mere fact that you have a vehicle capable of extreme acceleration and speed does not give you license to use it outside of the law. If that was the case then someone firing a gun down a sidewalk could blame the hapless pedestrian engaged in a conversation for walking into the path of the bullet. In this case the bike was the bullet. Stuff like this is also further proof that common sense is not so common anymore. Just my $.02. Flame away if you must.

12. TimRav

TimRav New Member

...Because they are. :mad:
    No flames here, motorhead, but IMO it's still the cellph user's fault. The rider may have been speeding, but that's not the chief cause of this crash.

I agree some riders take it too far on the street. But...

I hit ~200 mi. of sweet SE Ohio twisties yesterday. Tho I was above the speed limits at times - and well over the "curve speed" sign #s every time - I was also in complete control of my bike all day. (Sorry, I know that sounds egotistical, and I'm not a strong enough rider to have that large an ego.)

My point is that while speed is often a contributing factor in collisions or single vehicle crashes, it's rarely the only factor. I think that's true in the VW/RC crash above.

Example: If I had crashed yesterday the chief cause would have been operator error, since I know the bike could have gone faster safely with a better rider piloting it. :wink: