California on fire again

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by duccmann, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Image-1.png
    California's Fires Have Burned Mulholland Highway Almost Beyond Recognition
    Jalopnik

The scale of California’s fires are beyond anything of living memory, and new photos of The Snake, that infamously crash-prone section of the Mulholland Highway, look like they were taken on another planet. Read the full story

Rode this section many times in 1984-85.

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    This part will grow back quickly. Northern California will take decades though.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yes it will. And the horror that so many experienced cannot be under stated. But mother nature is an amazing thing. There are species of trees and growt that do rely on fire to regenerate and I think you will see positive results that way begin in a few years. Too bad mother nature can't bring back the human losses though.

I can't help but worry about a few of our members here that I think live near the fire in the LA area. I just hope they are OK and their properties safe.

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I'm glad the Rock Store survived.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    On the plus side, the numbers of missing has dropped dramatically and the confirmed deaths actually dropped a little. On the down side, I just heard one of the homeowners insurance companies local to the area has already filed for bankruptcy protection. The home prices in Chico (the next town over from Paradise) are artificially inflated and selling quickly and when the market corrects, they will be upside down. Also, if the prices don't get under control, the people needed for building new houses will move from the area and further exacerbate the shortage.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I had to go to Pt. Magu yesterday so I took PCH all the way from Santa Monica. The damage is somewhat noticeable, if you’re not familiar with the area but I tried to go up Kanan to Mulholland and there you can really see what the fires did. You don’t have to know the area, it is definitely noticeable! They had a CHP turning people around right where Mulholland turns left down towards the Snake. I got turned around there so I tied to go through Latigo canyon and was turned around after a few curves up from Kanan. They had Decker (23) and Mulholland blocked of where they meet PCH but Kanan was open so that’s why I tried going that route.

I wish I had a helmet cam as what I was able to see when looking off the road was crazy. Some places, which are set back from the road are hard to see when just passing by but if take a good look you can see where some places you to stand. You can also see how some places got really lucky. The burn marks on the ground go just about right up to the structure but no damage to it was visible. A lot of work crews were out pulling new lines along the poles and a few other roads were blocked off. In one shopping center, a few of the insurance companies had some pop up tents and trailers setup, I assume to make it easier to deal with them. Not sure how long it’ll be before things are back to normal but it was a sad sight to see that’s for sure.

7. Doug7200

Doug7200 New Member

United States
    Map

Lots of residents having to move out of the area, and likely the state is inevitable.

With 12-14,000 homes destroyed, it will takes years to rebuild the housing stock. Plus, there are few homes for sale, and rentals are near zero already. What is a family or person to do?

Even if hundreds of contractors move to the area, there will be severe shortages for materials like concrete. Plus, all this demand will force prices of rebuilding way up, making it affordable for many people.

Beyond that, many jobs no longer exist, so people will move away.

I do work for insurance companies, and have worked many fires with them. The devastation is near total total, and some people can't deal with the possibility of it happening again to them, of rebuilding, or even living in a construction zone for many years to come.

Many will never live in the area again!

Another issue for all rural areas, and likely every property owner with insurance in CA will be the cost of insurance. My old neighbors live east of Redding CA. They told me their fire insurance has gone from about $2000/yr in 2013, to over $11,000/yr when there latest renewal came last month! They said many neighbors can not find a company willing to renew or write a new policy!

With the cost of insurance for homes in severe fire zones going sky high, and new fire regulations for buildings and property, look for many more people being forced to move. I also read that a legislator is proposing a surcharge on every property insurance policy sold to pay for fire related costs.

Sad for all, and likely expensive for all too...

8. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    It is very sad to see so much destruction.
    Here we’re also used to big fires that unfortunately are getting more frequent.
    There is shock at the latest fires in Queensland where for the first time ever, fires have gone into rainforests.
    It was considered an impossible scenario until now.
    Premiums get shared by everyone here, so a big fire puts up prices for everyone.
    Building codes have dramatically changed in fire prone areas, with fire proof windows and cladding plus cinder guards on gutters are now compulsory.
    I’ll be there in a week, so some of the places I wanted to see are probably a no go.
    I feel for the people who have lost everything. And more so for the families who lost people.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    We are still open for business. The investigation of cause aren't conclusive, but the latest reports I read added that some of the electric transformers had bullet holes in them in addition to previous reports of failing circuits. If it turns out that some jackass caused even part of those fires by firing a weapon into electric components AND they are discovered, they will throw the book at him around here. I'm assuming it's a man, because...well let's be realistic. Almost none of us could imagine a woman doing something like that. (Although I know a couple that might. )

10. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    That is a special kind of stupid if that turns out to be the cause but might save PG&E from bankruptcy.

11. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Took a ride out that way today. Kristy's Roadhouse, formerly Rustic Canyon Grill Grocery is no more. The Rock Store is still there, but the trailer park / coop across the street lost more than 1/2 their homes. Bridge on Mulholland at Troutdale is out, must have been one hot fire. Also pic from the overlook at the top of the Snake. Mulholland west of Kanan is open at least to Decker, but really dirty and a moonscape. Plenty of burn downs along Decker.

100_7473.JPG 100_7477.JPG 100_7478.JPG

Samuel likes this.
  12. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    If you get up enough speed, I think you could make that bridge Lee! ;)

13. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    There's no ramp, and I am not Evel Knievel. :usa:

Samuel likes this.
  14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was reading in the paper today that PG&E lawyers have said if they are found liable in these latest fires, it will violate their probation terms. There was also some talk about breaking the utility up.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    There equipment failure minutes before the fire started, and roughly two miles from my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    There's quite a few people live within a couple miles of that old Rocketdyne / Boeing facility.
    Have you been through Blacks Canyon?

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Live right down the road.
    [​IMG]

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The paper says that State Farm and Allstate and others have filed a lawsuit against PG&E as of Dec 21st.
    I think PG&E will be broken up in the next year or so. I don't think they can survive this.
    Unless they socked away all those profits instead of giving them to shareholders.

duccmann likes this.
  20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The sad thing is though, I think anyways, no company is going to pay anything. Even if this power company gets broken up, who ever purchases, or takes over the running of the power grid, the workers maintaining the system basically stay the same. Is everyone confident it is managements or owners fault that maintenance was not up to par? Was it the workers who were slacking in their responsibilities, or was it a recipe of both?

It is the consumer that is going to pay a huge part of this financial toll. Even if it is to be found out that the owners bear all responsibility and the power authority is broken up to either smaller companies or even back to a large single company, the system looks like it is in dire need of upgrading of a caliber not yet seen in California, or probably many other places in North America. Our infrastructure is getting old and money needs to be spent soon to bring it back up to date before we end up with third world like infrastructure. New owners just don't throw money at this system without expecting to get that money back. That is from the consumer with higher rates.

Civil suits may not be the answer because any judgement against the company, is again, covered by the consumer with increased rates. The real answer to making those responsible to pay, it to find criminality in what individuals do and punish them in your justice system. That too is a cost to the consumers and all tax payers, but for one, it is spread over a larger group of people ie society. Secondly, an individual feels the pain of their guilty acts such as imprisonment or fines or both.