Bright lights, depth perception and distance judgement

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by TNRabbit, May 25, 2015.

1. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. I see a lot of riders with a bright lights on during the day under the belief that it gets them noticed better. However, when a bike is running toward me and I'm waiting to pull out, I have a difficult time judging their speed/distance and closing rate when they have bright lights on vs dimmed.

I wonder how often tis accounts for cagers pulling in front of riders...and is it just me?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I don't really think so, except maybe in a very rare instance. Most of the time the people turning left simply don't see you, you could be huge, bright red, and have a blaring siren, and they still will pull out in front of you.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I find this is just something people do regardless if they see you or not. I cannot tell you how many times I've had someone turn left almost literally right in front of me, either into a driveway or a street and there is literally no one behind me and wait for it...I'm in my car! People are impatient, and cannot seem to be able to wait the 3-5 seconds it would take for you to pass them in order for them to turn. I don't think that it has anything to do with distance judgement, it seems that they would rather go when they feel they have the "chance", rather than wait until you've passed knowing it's clear behind you.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Another factor is that much of the time the bike is over the limit. Cagers can either misjudge speed, or they are bigger and therefore badder. Notice that they mostly wait their turn when a semi or in the case of up here in the PNW, a loaded logging truck.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I used to ride with my high beams on all the time during the daytime. And still do sometimes. No particular reason or instance as to when or why. But I've heard of a study done a few years back on this subject. I have not read this study but would like to if someone has the interest in trying to find it.

I believe this study was done at Northwestern University Center for Public Safety. This school at one time was the end all for traffic accident analysis and reconstuction. I think the jist of the study suggests that instead of making you more safe by having your high beams on during the day, the exact opposite happens. The bright lights actually make your bike look much farther away and going slower.

That may add credibility to what you are experiencing.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  7. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    If you cant judge accurately just wait until the road is clear.

I ride on dipped lights all the time, but there again I dont have much option because my 6th gen doesn't offer me the option to shut them off only low or high beam.

I have always ridden on dipped beam anyway, at least there is a chance of someone noticing you the more visible you make yourself.

Ride safe
    D.E.D.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I usually flash my brights and hit my horn when entering intersections when theres a car waiting to take me out, and ALWAYS think he's or mostly she will turn in front of me even when looking at me.....always cover brakes and always expect it, because these lazy ass people are always running late and instead of leaving 10 minutes earlier there always in a rush...jmo
    Oh also been noticing that when I do blow said air horn over 50% look up from looking down at there phones....do it and you will see

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Flashing your lights at cars stopped in front of you is not a really good idea. In many places around the world that is considered an "Okay to proceed" signal.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Here its only to let big rigs get over in your lane, plus I lay on my stebel

11. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    The question here isn't should I ride with high beams on...the question is have any of you noticed it's more difficult to judge closing rate on bikes (or any vehicle) when they have their high beams on....?

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, actually I think it is a bit harder to judge speed and distance. Maybe because the bright light means you don't really focus on the vehicle, but rather look slightly away from it to avoid the glare?

13. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Like Carpy I have no option but to use at least dipped beam lights when riding - and to be honest whether a bikes headlights are on or not I do not think it makes it easier or harder to assess how far/fast a motorbike is approaching. Just go outside and look at traffic on a fast road and it is very obvious that it is difficult to judge the speed of small vehicles. So you would hope that once people realise this problem, they would take extra care to ensure they can safely pull out in front of an approaching vehicle. Sadly this is not borne out by behaviour on the roads.

For many years in Europe all larger bikes (+125cc) must have at least dipped beam bulbs illuminated whenever the engine is running. So the choice is simply between the headlamp showing dipped or main beams.

Note I also think EU 6th Gen VFRs have different bulbs (EU bikes have 4xH7 bulbs) and perhaps the headlight set up is different. In the EU, the lower pair of lights (dipped) are always lit when the engine is running. If you turn on the main beam bulbs, the dipped beams remain lit and are simply joined by the upper pair of bulbs (and when all 4 halogens are lit - a VFR is very visible PROVIDED DRIVERS ACTUALLY LOOK!

Over many years on motorbikes, cars, vans and bicycles, I have encountered plenty of idiots who decide to pull out in front of me. On a motorbike it makes no difference if the bike has dipped or main beams or none at all. The most recent example was just last weekend. Simply put it was a classic Sunday driver effort - THEY WERE ON AUTOPILOT MODE AND DID NOT LOOK! So no amount of lights or Hi Vis will ever stop this behaviour, that is why you always need to cover the brake and plan an avoidance strategy in case they ignore the horn and keep on coming out.

Sadly the problem seems to be getting far worse as we fill our cars and trucks with more and more distractions and make them more and more like sitting in our cosy air-conditioned living room armchair rather than being in charge of tonnes of potentially lethal metal. Car makers seem to have responded to the increased risk due to distractions from phones, MP3s, DVD's, Laptops, passengers and rowdy kids by making cars ever more like an armoured car with a million airbags which may be fine for the occupants, but means they are even more unforgiving to motorbikes, bicycles and other more vulnerable road users.

A more pertinent response would be to try to improve driving skills, and especially get all drivers to be aware of this article - www.slobc.org/safety/documents/road-survival-guide.pdf - and hopefully amend their driving habits accordingly. Certainly I now deliberately take a lot more time when checking if its safe at a junction, simply rocking your head slightly to one side or the other will greatly reduce the risk of missing something, as it is all you need to do to really change your view. Sadly very few drivers know this inherent weakness of the human eyesight - so it is worth assuming that everyone else on the road is out to kill you, and ride defensively! :soapbox:

Just my 2p

SkiMad

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    This is why I dont ride with them on anymore, splitting lanes and intersections only

15. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I've always had a hard time judging speed and distance when high beams are on on bikes. An easy way for me to find out the difference is when I see two riders coming in the opposite direction, the one in the front has the high beams and the one in the back doesn't. The one with the high beams always seems to go slower even though both are riding at about the same speed.

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Ah the ole, "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You" move. I started doing that a while back and I also do this move when someone gets too close to me from behind. Most of the time they back off immediately, I guess they think I'll be doing something "unexpected".

I know a lot of riders have mixed feelings about Hi-Viz gear, but I have been approached several times by drivers and pedestrians alike, saying that they liked the gear I had on, it made it so much easier to spot me. Well, not sure if it works when approaching a car head on, but between the SMIDSY move and the Hi-Viz gear I feel a little less vulnerable, but not so much I let my guard down.

18. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I also do the SMIDSY move. It wakes people up. It's good when they are awake!