Bridgestone Battlax BT 023

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ignoreance, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Bridgestone Battlax BT 023Anybody running these? Thinking of getting the GT spec tire because our bikes are kind of a heavie weight.

Got 5,400 on the oem Dunlop 204 tire and im just hitting wear bars

Looking at rear tire only. I do lots of commuting. Bikes two months old.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Already on my second set of BT023 GT's and as a grand tourer I consider them a very good choice for the VTEC VFR. But if you are a track day junkie then there are lots of other tyres which are better suited to track use. I replaced my first set after 8,297 miles of fairly enthusiastic grand touring around Europe and lots and lots of twisties - I live in a ski resort in the Alps. Even then the central wear strip still had some life in them, but I chose to replace them after joining some mates for three weeks battering around the Black Forest. Towards the end of the trip I noticed that the edge grip starting to drop off, making the use of high lean angles more nervous than I was comfortable with. Fortunately the new tyres scrubbed in quickly and almost immediately the bike was back to its old self.

Perhaps the best thing I can say about the BT023's is that for me they provide a great combination of high mileage and high grip when you need it and costing just over 3 pence per mile travelled seem excellent value.

Skimad4x4
    6th Gen Militia # 218

3. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Sounds like what I needed to hear. Never been one of those brand only guys. I'm not getting paid to recommend there tires so I tend to go with what I think I would like. The GT spec plus the mileage you stated seems to have the numbers I'm looking for.

Im hoping that the GT tire absorbs some of those freeway bumps i get rolling down the 5, and the 710 freeways the fact that you said central strip still had life on it is a great influence buy factor because I would say that my mix of canyon vs freeway is about 30/70 being 70% on freeway. Thanks

Anyone else want to chime in ?

4. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I've only used the BT 021's on my ex-07 VFR and the SV650, and like them quite a bit. Most of my riding is highway, 65-75 MPH with about 35 pounds of luggage. Mileage on the VFR was about 9K, and the SV looks like it will be about the same or slightly more.

5. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    I've used the 023 on my CBRF3 (&020 & 021's) on my previous bikes & found them excellent for my needs as far as wear & most important, grip. A friend replaced his with the 023's on his GSX1400 & said that he felt them squirm a bit when was pushing it, but that was when they were brand new & all new tyres feel a little weird when you 1st get them. He had no other complaints (apart from getting clocked doing a 112 kph in a 50 zone).
    I read an article about these in a recent bike mag, same idea as the Bridgstones & an interesting concept. Michelin Pilot Road 3's. Sorry didn't realise it was a actually someone selling them, but it gives you the idea.
    ‪Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires Review at RevZilla.com‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    The only thing I could add (since I like the bt 021, 023 and for me the 016) is that you honestly should swap both front and rear and enjoy the difference in them and the oem crap you're coming off.
    Keep the set front and rear the same brand, model and type. You will get more out of the set when the are matched unless you are just slabbin it up the HWY. But to each their own.

Enjoy the bike and what ever tires you get.

7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I got the BT023's on my 4th gen. A few thousand KM's on them and they're fine.

A very good Sport Touring Tire.

8. bat-stang

bat-stang New Member

...got the non-GT on my ride; only about 1500 miles or so. They are great, sticky, and smooth. The front seems a (very) little reluctant to turn in, but nothing to be concerned about: find a line and they stay on it... all the different tires i use have some trait that defines them; The price is just slightly cheaper than what ive previously run (Roadsmarts), and Im expecting good long wear. i usually manage between 8500 and 10k between tire swaps; the 023 seem to wear well and are very confidence inspiring. We'll see if they can match my last set of Dunlops. No wet weather issues so far...