Brake bleeding my 04 VFR800 -non ABS

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rvmiller, Jul 12, 2012.

1. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    I just got my 04 a couple weeks ago. Found out there were 2 open recalls. Took it to an auth Honda dealer; they had it since Sat July 7th. They call me yesterday evening and state that the work is done but the brakes need to bled.... $120.00

One of the recalls was ID# 53296 for the rear brakes and the resevoir.... shouldn't they have bled the brakes anyway??

I told them that I will do it myself because that cost seems very high, is it?

I have never bled brakes on a bike but done it on cars several times and I have seen it done on youTube.

Should. Let the "Pros" do this job, or do it myself?

Thanks for any/all help

Rob in Tampa

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have a 98 and recently did mine. I was a little fearful of it at first but was a piece of cake. There is an order to follow but other than that it is just the same as bleeding any other brakes. I have a service manual and that helps a lot and if someone doesn't post it for you I can give you the order. But the 120 isn't to outraegous considering the time involved . If I remember right there are seven bleed points. If you have bled a car before it shouldn't be a problem for ya.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The linked brakes make it a real pain in the arse to do unless you have some type of vacuum type bleeder or speed bleeder screws. If you have past experience doing it on other bikes I say try it yourself but if not you can save yourself alot of headache and time by letting the dealer do it for you. It should take you about an hour to do them yourself assuming you don't have any issues with getting air in the lines.

Rollin

4. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    The linked brakes was/is my biggest concern but I am confident and competent enough to give it a try.