Bought an interceptor!

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by OldSchoolInterceptor, Jan 6, 2020.

1. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    I found and purchased an 04’ VFR800 just north of Seattle. It’s sitting in my wife’s parents garage safe but I’d like to get it to Spokane. I’ve looked at a couple shipping companies and the lowest I’ve found from Bothell to Spokane is around $700 from UHaulBikes seems excessive to me but I’ve never shipped a bike before. I could ride it but it being a used bike it’s not worth my life to try it. Do you guys have any ideas? Maybe a certified shipping company I haven’t tried. I looked into renting a uHaul truck of different sizes and it’s crazy expensive and gas onto of that. If nothing comes through I can get it in July for sure. I didn’t buy it without a plan to get it to Spokane, I just want it sooner. Thanks guys!

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That does seem excessive, might be something to do with the destination, but you'd think off of I-90 is pretty common route. Maybe it's the time of year thing.

If I'm heading that direction for any reason, I'll let you know. My neighbor has an enclosed trailer designed to haul 3 bikes and I have a K2500 Suburban.

OldSchoolInterceptor likes this.
  3. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    If the tires are good and it's running smooth - ride it!! It's only ~280 miles...

34468 Randy likes this.
  4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh shit... and congratulations!

Where north of Seattle did you get?

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Our mountain passes are getting sketchy right about now (kinda a late snow season). You might be able to hit a "wet" run on I-90, it's lower in elevation.

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Heck, I'd just borrow a trailer and go get it.... but I do know the passes get closed.... does Hwy 2 stay open? I'd even go I-90, can't be too much longer...

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    They both stay open. I-90 is a better choice as far as elevation and destination. It's Highway 20 (North Cascades) that just closed a couple weeks ago (one of the latest closures in quite a few years).

8. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I would rent or borrow a trailer. Trailers rent pretty cheaply.

Igrok likes this.
  9. OldSchoolInterceptor

United States
    Map
    That’s very generous of you. I’d appreciate it.

10. OldSchoolInterceptor

United States
    Map
    If I could tow it with my Honda Civic Si coupe I would or the wife’s Toyota Corolla. The real issue is I have to be there to load it up because of its location. Difficult to explain but yeah I’d have to be there. I inquired about renting a uhaul but whoa what’s more than shipping it!

11. OldSchoolInterceptor

United States
    Map
    Bothell. It’s a great bike. For the price I though I’d be junked but it’s been well taken care of with just a few nice mods. Best of all it has every receipt from new. The original owner bought a maintenance package and extended warranty. It was bought new in 07’ with 3 miles.

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would be interested in hearing why you are questioning the bike's reliability for this rather easy and really short trip. I have well over 220,000 km on mine (over 137K miles) and am not afraid to take it on long, much more demanding trips than a ride over the Cascades. The first time I have had any problems with it was actually fairly recently which resulted in getting the clutch rebuilt. But it still ran. I rode down to and around the Baja and back with that issue and manage quite well. I suppose eventually it would have failed but I hope you get my point here. And I am heading up to Alaska in late May early June as well. The only thing I have really done to this bike other than routine maintenance, was to deal with that clutch issue.

You mentioned that the previous owner was very meticulous and you have the bills. This would tell me the bike is probably in excellent shape and should be reliable for this trip. May I suggest you go and take this bike for an hour long ride including metropolitan as well as highway situations. If nothing has surfaced to indicate and issue, then you should be good to go. Obviously, this time of the year is not a good time to be riding through the pass, even along the highways east of the cascades. It is damned cold at highway speeds unless you have the gear for it.

13. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I think the OP's issue is the season (roads), and he has to get there and back.... two people, one to ride one to drive the car back?.... or again, I'd just borrow a pickup truck and load it up or... a small trailer....

34468 Randy likes this.
  14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Might I point out that what you have done, and where you have ridden, really has no bearing on the OP's situation. Just sayin'.

15. OldSchoolInterceptor

United States
    Map
    That’s a long reply but I’ll try to make mine a bit short. The bikes in Seattle, WA at my wife’s parents house and I’m in Spokane, WA 350 miles away. I didn’t get much of a chance to look it over mechanically or ride it much so I’d feel safe riding that or really any distance. I found a reputable shipping company and I’ll have it in Spokane at the beginning of March. I already have a box of parts and a full fairing set to install. Super excited to get it home and start the process of making it my own.