Bored of Red /advice on compressor,gun

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Rubo, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Every bike I owned exception of one was red.Just happened that way.
    Now I am lusting over Yellow.Secretly jealous of those yellow 5th gens.Funds are tight now but I have been contemplating painting my bike Yellow maybe with light blue accent lines.
    Not rattle can.I can afford decent compressor and gun.Anyone here recommend good compressor?Most I looked have horrible reviews.
    Looked at Harbor Freight compressors but all have horrible track records.I am little lost of brand of compressor.
    Recommend particular brand size? and gun as well if you got good experience?
    Thank you

2. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Oy. Painting is a big deal, mang. We had a thread recently about how a fuel resistant paint job requires paints that destroy what few brain cells any of us might have left.

A compressor for painting will typically have to be a beast of a thing. Painting is very high volume work, even with HVLP guns. Do some research on the self contained HVLP rigs. I have never used them, but if one of those would work, then you have resolved your compressor issue.

You will still have MAJOR concerns with quality paints and their cyanoacrylate content. The bulk of the job (and biggest determiner of final quality) is the prep. and prime. If I was to consider a full re-spray on my own, I would only prep and prime. You can do that with low volatility primers and have a professional shop coat with your preferred make-ya-wackadoodle paint. The actual painting should be done by someone who fully understands how to use the appropriate safety equipment.

Jose

3. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    HVLP is the way to go, even harbor frieghts hvlp stuff will work.

4. yoohoo

yoohoo New Member

Where you at and what shape are your fairngs in? I could be interested in trading....

5. Rubo

Rubo New Member

I am in Boston area.My fairings are ok.Nothing broken but I got more then few scratches.Not worth it.I would not trade based on my fairings condition.

6. Rubo

Rubo New Member

guys thanks for all the suggestions.I may prep and take the parts to auto place to be painted.

7. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello Rubo. Have you checked out VT Viffers thread? RWB 1996 - a winter restoration, can be found in VFR generations, 3rd & 4th generation. Amazing results for a home paint job. Lots of info & high quality pics.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Some auto painters will paint bike parts, some won't. Bottom line before you get into this project too far, spring for a book on automotive/bike painting.

A "self contained" HVLP (high volume low pressure) is provided the requisite air volume and pressure via a turbine. New about $500.00 and up. HVLP cup and pressure pot guns are of two types. Bleeders and non-bleeders.

The biggie here is that the finishes including the clearcoats are highly toxic in aerosol form and being of the two component type can catalyze in that form which includes in your lungs. Not a good thang a-tall.

Two component materials are also exothermic meaning the greater the volume the greater the heat generated. The greater the heat the faster the "flash" . Flash will be found in the book you need to get before you do yourself in.

Also, rattlecans are rattlecans and the level of work with even professional prep will be apparant. The kicker here is that somebody is under the delusion that these two component coatings can be loaded into rattlecans is just nuts. Mini-pipe bombs is whacha get.

9. yoohoo

yoohoo New Member

That's cool. I figured it was worth a shot.

I have painted many bikes. When I was racing WERA a few years ago I did mine and people were so impressed that I started doing others and it spread. I used a single stage urethane for the majority that wanted a single color. I used a base/clear on multi colors. The compressor that it will need run the hvlp gun needs to be 50 gal tank. You can get by with the guns from HD. You will want one for primer and atleast one for color/clear. I liked a smaller gun for the base colors. Overall it will probably cost you more to buy all the stuff and get setup than it will to let your local guy shoot it. Auto paint is pretty expensive. Depending on what you want it can be well over $100 for a quart of color. You have to get reducer, activator and laquer thinner as well. By the end it will prob cost you about $250ish to get just the material and atleast that to buy the guns and compressor. Some shops may not want you to prep. If it is not done how they want or its not done well and the final job isn't going to look right and neither of you will be happy.

10. Rubo

Rubo New Member

I am thinking of rustoleum either rattle can or apply with rollers.I am just not sure about the clear coat,I need something that can withstand gas dripping on the tank.

[video=youtube;_qPJTTRWttQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ&feature=related[/video]
    with a roller! At 1st I was WTF then the results were really great.
    What do you think?

11. yoohoo

yoohoo New Member

Looks like a lot of unneeded work. The Dupli-color rattle can are pretty good. They are a laquer base so they flash pretty quick. I found some HD laquer clear yesterday that is gas resistant. You could spray the body and panels with the DC stuff and do the clear with this stuff. Its Siemetry (sp?) clear Gloss laquer. I have had good results with it.

12. yoohoo

yoohoo New Member

Here is my old SV650 that I painted with Dupli-color. I started with 400 wet/dry paper and primed. Sanded it again with 800 and shot the base. I did 5 coats of base and sanded the final with 2000. I put 5 coats of clear on top of it. The DC clear is not gas res like the siemetry is but I was very careful at the gas pump and didn't have any probs. The nice thing about laquer is that it dries in less than 10min. Its easy to get a lot of parts done in a day. You can always let it cure for a couple weeks then wet sand it with 2500 and polish it out.

If you are going yellow...it is very important that you put a white base color down first. Yellow sux for coverage. The base is very important to get the actual color you want at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck with your endeavor, Rubo. The important thing is that you've begun the 12 steps of why yellow is the best and fastest color to have on a VFR. Ever.

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    You may want to look here also.
    Motorcycle Painting Tips Online - Claim Your free 3 Day Video Painting Course

I have also seen cars painted with a foam roller, one stage paint like Martin-Senour and they have looked great. Though it takes a lot of wet sanding then buffing. But the results are a lot better than one would think. Do a search on the web. There was an Orange 68/69 Charger that looked fantastic and a Ford (I think) pickup that looked better than Earl Schibe paint job.

Motorcycle parts are small compared to cars and are easier to paint most of the time. Most of the work is in the preparation. Good luck.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I know some harleydoods that paint bikes using push brooms and RIT dye mixed with recycled grease from McDonalds.

16. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Thanks for the helpful tips.I had exactly same SV650 00 myself.Loved that little beast.Replaced the shock and springs and it was a blast to ride.I kind of miss it.Your photos brought memories

17. Rubo

Rubo New Member

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you spend multi-$$$$ you'll never get as good a paint job as it came with from Honda.

19. Rubo

Rubo New Member

very true but my original paint already has scratches all over so it does not look good anyway.I am inspired by VTviffer thread and lots of great results on youtube.

20. yoohoo

yoohoo New Member

It had a Penske rear and a race tech front... The stock stuff is horrible.