BluTooth/Helmet combinations

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by TNRabbit, Jul 9, 2014.

1. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
  2. Nero Grande

Nero Grande New Member

Canada
    Bell vortex with Uclear HBC100 plus

I have a great combo with the Bell Vortex and the Uclear HBS100 plus. Vortex = 179.95 USD and HBC100 plus = 159.95 USD. Snell approved helmet and can facilitate the visions photosensitive visor. HBC 100 plus can matrix up to four head sets up to 750 meters and daisy chains the distance so you can ride a good distance apart and stay in communication. Sound is not particularly audiophile quality - a bit thin and treble heavy but it does the trick for cheap. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG . works very well but helmets are very personal and should fit exactly perfect for your head shape. The Shoei is similar to the bell in their elongated oval shape - but you need to try it. Seems like this combo might be in your price range.

3. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Excellent info--thanks!

4. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am still using an old Blinc M2 Bluetooth Helmet Communication Module with FM Tuner. I have been using this device for a little over 3 years. It is ok and I can make and take phone calls, has a built in FM radio, listen to MP3 players , listen to music from my Android phone - it also works with gps devices. It does not have the ability to communicate with other brand headsets. It is somewhat long in the tooth. The newer Uclear is the favorite with my MC members, and I recently did firmware upgrades on a few of my members Uclear device which lets me communicate with them using my old Blinc M2 device. Personally I would not invest in a helmet with a built-in device because of the chance of newer evolving technology. Strictly IMHO blincm2.jpg blinc23.jpg

5. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
  6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Yes that helmet may indeed be fine, but first and foremost - make sure the helmet really fits your head well, which means trying it on!

Whilst the internet is great for many things, when it comes to buying a helmet you really need to try one on before committing to buy. Sadly just like clothing, the sizing system and head shape models used by different helmet manufacturers is not consistent, so for instance I find AGV and Schubert helmets fit me really well, whilst a similar size Shoei never felt right.

In the main Bluetooth equipped helmets will be heavier - due mostly to the battery. Fine if you only do local rides, but the extra weight means they may be a really bad idea if you do lots of longer runs or if you already suffer from neck pain.

A far less obvious downside of many cheaper helmets is noise and quality/longevity. I see many of the reviewers of that helmet mention noise as an issue. If you go that route - you should also consider investing in and wearing decent earplugs when using that helmet.

Over the years I have purchased and used a broad spectrum of cheaper and very expensive helmets. Generally the cheap helmets did not last the sort of heavy use I gave them and typically needed replacement within a couple of years as replacement parts were almost impossible to obtain and the originally very firm padding tended to degenerate to the point the helmet was basically insecure.

Over time I have been convinced of the benefits of choosing higher quality helmets - particularly to minimise noise induced hearing loss, which is sadly something many bikers only recognise after tinnitus or other permanent damage has been incurred.

I recently bit the bullet and don't regret forking out a huge amount for a new Schubert C3. Not only is it one of the lightest helmets I have ever owned it is a really snug flip front style which is perfect if like me you wear glasses. Compared with several cheaper Bluetooth equipped full face and flip front helmets that I have owned over the years the C3 is really quiet with very little wind whistle discernible above 100mph. My old helmets were deafening even with ear plugs at 50 which meant that long high speed runs were really arduous and tiring, which inevitably detracts from your ability to concentrate and ride safely.

Compared with the cheaper helmets the Schubert internals are high quality and easily removed and replacement parts - though pricey can be obtained worldwide. The old saying -"you get what you pay for" really applies here, as most quality helmets are warrantied for 7 years, and I am confident that is a very conservative estimate of the true lifespan for the C3. In which time I would have purchased and disposed of at least three cheaper helmets.

If comms really is important to you, most premium manufacturers also offer integral Bluetooth system add-ons. Again a quieter helmet allows instructions from your GPS or phone to be clearly heard. For the Schubert the module basically replaces the entire neck apron unit, ensuring everything is contained within the helmet shell. There is nothing protruding from or through the helmet shell or bolted on externally which in an accident might catch on the ground and potentially cause the helmet to twist violently around breaking your neck in the process.

If you plan on riding for many more years, then rather than purchase and replace several cheap helmets and endure unnecessary noise, it just may be worth investing in a quality helmet, obtaining replacement parts as necessary to keep it in good order for three or four times as long.

Just my 2p

SkiMad

7. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Good points. I always wear ear plugs.....makes for a much more serene ride.

At that price (less than the price of a SENA system), might be worth giving it a try. Cycle Gear has a great return policy.

8. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Shoei RF1200/Sena SMH10R. Damn good combo.

9. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    ...and a whole other level of $$$...I can get 5 of those helmets for what that combo costs~

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm running a Shoei RF1100 with Uclear 100 which is maybe 2-3 years old. I considered the built in bluetooth helmet, but decided this route instead.

My bluetooth is starting to sound a little scratchy which leads me to think it may go out before long. If it was built in to the helmet, would I have to buy a new helmet, send it in or what?

Just something to consider.

11. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden

a good excuse to buy a new helmet:wink: