Big trip soon! Need all the help i can get!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by VFR2PDX, May 16, 2012.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    GREAT advice from everyone, ditto on what 8pissedbears said------- go for some 300 mile rides before leaving--- alittle practice will go a long way. Didn't see any mention on saddle bags or tank bags--- you those taken care of ?
    Good luck

2. tsg

tsg New Member

Hi, I would love to do something similar but unfortunately I am not mad!! Also 500 miles would take me from one end of the UK to the other each day! When we all first get our licence we want to get some miles under our belt but what you are proposing is a little too much for my liking. Please be sure you are ready for it, by doing a few rides first, at least a couple of them 300 miles +. My back can ache after about 20 miles, and then I have to reposition and change the way I'm putting weight on my arms. I don't know f I have explained that very well, reading it back, maybe not, RIDE A LONG WAY BEFORE YOUR TRIP, I think that sums it up. Anyway good luck and please take pictures along the way and remember to post them here.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Also it may be a good investment to put a set of Heli's on your bike. Makes a HUGE difference-JMO

4. VFR2PDX

VFR2PDX New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the great advice. I decided to expand my trip time a bit, so I shouldn't wear myself out. I have everything packed( and repacked) and I will be leaving in the morning. I have saddle bags and a BIG duffle bag. Everything is in zip locks or space bags. Full weatherproof gear (cheap Bilt outfit but it was all I could afford). I do have a cramp buster and it does wonders on the highway so far. Packed spare boots and gloves, flashlight and headlamp, tools for chain adjustment and cleaning, ear protection, basically all the things that were recommended. Oh yeah and aspirin! Also picked up an android phone and I have a cheap spare throwaway phone just in case. I'm sure there's lots that I've forgot to mention but worry not I am as prepared as I can be.

I love the bike and can't wait to leave! Will be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way and will post at a later date. Thanks again and wish me luck!

5. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck on you journey. Watch out for crazy cagers.... :loco: :car: Ride safe! :thumbsup:

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sooooooooooo how far did you go? Status............?

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^Yea, what he said!

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    not so much a typer...

;)

maybe he forgot all us jealous schmoes sitting at desks.