Bicycle thread!!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by cat0020, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Then some one or a few people have failed. When you see your kids going sideways, you need to look in the mirror and ask two questions. What did I (we) do wrong? What can I (we) do to correct this? I know my kids are the best in the world in my eyes, but I know they are not the best of society. But they are important contributors to society here and we are proud of them. We did something right. If I knew exactly what, I would write a book and become rich.

I convinced both my kids to get cell phones in their late teens. My son was reluctant but did get one eventually.

I do believe that if you cannot carry on a conversation with your kids because they are focused too much on social media, then that right there should be alarm bells slapping you up the side of the head. If your kids are always locked up in their rooms, for God's sake, get in there and see what is going on.

One of our members here came within a breath of loosing his son to what I believe was on line games and energy drinks when his estranged wife did not see their son for a long time as he was living off these drinks in his bedroom. It is most fortunate that this boy pulled through and our member has the boy now living with him. Last I heard, all was working out quite well. Father and son have connected and well and the boy's life is now relatively safe thank you very much to member's intervention.

We simply can't let our own kids fall into this trap.

2. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    There are plenty of kids that nobody wants in this world... plenty of parents who should not be parents; that's just honest truth.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^^^^Nothing new there. It's always been that way, not exactly fresh news.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Fair enough. Sometime alternative sex methods have much better end results. But I believe that in the vast majority of the cases it is a matter of kids being born to people who made choices and who have failed to fulfill their responsibilities after. Instead of doing the responsible thing, they just buy stuff to occupy the developing minds of these poor kids. And they refuse to take a hard line with them because it is easier.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    This is from almost 2 years ago when Folsom Lake was Folsom Puddle. Glad its a little more full now. Its been a long fall and winter off the pedal bike, but I will get back on sooner rather than later and get an updated picture of Folsom.

[​IMG]

6. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    I have a Giant TCR and a Ciclib trecking cross that I use a bit too little, it's so much fun riding the VFR and the 10 month old daughter alse wants some time :)
    I think it's great fun being out on the racer in a pack though and I sort of miss it, hope I get some riding this summer (which in Sweden is a couple of days:D)

/R

7. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    I ride a '92 Raleigh Ambush
    IMG_0739.jpg

8. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    After I pedaled coast-to-coast, the next summer I took on a bike messenger job in Seattle WA.
    The skill of riding/surviving among traffic in rush hour pattern prepared me for my motorcycling later on.
    Even though I've had many close encounters with cars while on the job; luckily, I never broken any bones while cycling.. or motorcycling.
    I leaned to use as little brakes as possible and always look for a way around obstacles instead of using brake as first reaction to avoid impact.

I've always enjoyed bicycles as form of transportation, rather than leisure/fitness equipment; the feeling of able to get to far away places on my own power is very liberating... far better than walking or running on the body, too.
    I also feel that I meet people easier while riding a bicycle; strangers are less stranger when I approach on a bicycle with a bell chime.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Spot on for always looking for a way out. Most people hit the brakes in panic. And a lot of those panic brakes are the rears which don't do much stopping and increase the panic. The old saying "had to lay her down" comes to mind. And then there are the ones that grab a hand full of brake and fold the front. keeping your head and always being aware will keep you off the deck. Long ago at a track day a very good instructor was beating into our heads to always look where you want to go. All decent instructors will teach this and it works. But another I will never forget was to try and make the corner. If your coming in to fast don't panic, try and make the corner, look where you want to go and make it happen. That has saved me more than once, on track and street. Very very seldom will you have to "lay her down".

10. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    For the last 3 days in a row, I've been out on my 16 y-o road bike..

dry-rotted tires, crispy old brake pads.. havn't got a flat yet..

spinning away up to 12 miles a day afterwork..

bathroom scale seems to notice the difference..

Farecast is calling for 3-days of rain ahead.. mucho sad. maybe time for new rubber..

11. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Since age of 15, I've been pedaling the same mileage as my age on my birthday.
    The last decade or so, I ride the route that I have around my house near Valley Forge, PA near horse farm country where there is little traffic, plenty of open space and calm country roads to really soak in the experience, reminiscent the year gone past and think about the people/events that have influenced my life in the last year.

This year, since I'm stuck in NYC area for my birthday, I had to come up with a slightly different plan to my birthday ride. 40+ miles among three boroughs in NYC, crossing two landmark bridges, dodging heavy traffic in summer heat in the city.

Started out in Coney Island, following the Belt Pkwy up to the Verrazano Bridge with nice easy bike path with sea breeze..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the Statue of Liberty among the boats in the water:
    [​IMG]

Cut into heart of Brooklyn in Prospect Park, where I get two flats from glass shards on the road:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cross Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan:

[​IMG]

Had planned to stops and took pictures in Manhattan, but the traffic and heat really made it difficult.. Rode into Central Park and up to Harlem.. then cross the George Washington Bridge back into NJ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though it's been well over a year since I've lived within NYC vicinity, I can't get used to the hectic pace, tight living space and the constant noise.
    Sure I can operate among them, but I think the older I get, I more I crave the quiet countryside, open space, fresh air..

34468 Randy likes this.
  12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 10.45.42 AM.png
    Chris Froome wins 4th TDF by 54 seconds after 2500 miles!!

13. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Is that a champagne glass in his hand? Better be the real French stuff. :Pound:

I rode bicycles a lot in high school and college. Then I was able to afford a bike with an engine, woo hoo!
    There is an old Schwinn or something in the garage. Would probably make a good alternate to walking for exercise.
    It's too hot in July. :Violin:

14. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    May not be cycling specific.. but sports in general:

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Tis indeed! A TDF tradition on the final stage, during the non-competitive begining where the winning team all drink champagne together!

VFR4Lee likes this.
  16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    High tech??!! Hell, most of the bikes up there are barely in 20th century tech.

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Some of the pickups and trailers are pretty high tech. I would suppose breast implants would be considered high tech too..;)

Now I'm wondering if some of the buff dudes on the tube have had implants?

19. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Anyone else use Strava? I just set my first two KOM's on Saturday!

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I use Cyclemeter, found Strava too complicated for me.