Best VRF Streetfighter/Cafe Candidate???

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by MM37, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MM37

MM37 New Member

United States
    Hi all! New to the forum and frankly Honda's in general..

I've been off the streets for little over 2 years now, wiht my GSXR dedicated to track and now getting into racing this coming season.. Anyway I've been thinking of picking something up just to kinda put around. ride with some friends that aren't quite ready for that track life yet. Until recent I've strongly considered the Tuono V4 for obvious reason, with a FZ10 as a close second.. but.. as those are both amazing bikes and I'd love to own either.. I like to be different and build stuff.

This brings me to building a Cafe/Streetfighter style VFR bc i need a v4 in my life.
    What are the pro's/con's for working with the different generations. I'm thinking between 3rd to 6th gen ('94+) would be viable candidates? I must confess I've never owned a carbureted bike other than my 2stroke pit bike. I think I'd lean towards the Fi 800's for ease of fueling.. that being said I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty/rebuilding cards etc, and i have a fair but of mechanical knowledge and skills. Just weary of throttle response.

Anyway.. GOALS!:
    I will be fitting a Street triple/Monster like subframe.
    Retaining passenger capabilities is a must
    Possible light engine work?

I came across this build and it was as if someone had build what was in my mind already!
    https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/75243-my-95-vfr-sf-project-the-process/
    [​IMG]

THANKS!!

4corsa likes this.
  2. Gorson

Gorson New Member

United States
    These forums are very slow and I am also new here (but on my 2nd VFR), but I'll take a shot.

The 4th gen 94-97 is the most commonly SF'd of the VFRs. The reason for this is twofold, the plastics for it are hard to find and it requires the least amount of work to make it look streetfighterish. The 5th and 6th gen aren't often SF'd because they have those side radiators; not much you can do with that. The 3rd gen has a frame that doesn't look good when uncovered (the bit underneath the seat), but is doable.

That doesn't mean it's going to be easy, you have to relocate, replace, or cover the coolant overflow tank, coils, and some various wires and declutter the front end. It all depends on how good you want it to look of course. It can be very difficult to swap subframes, there's a bunch of wiring and fuel plumbing that goes back there along with a battery. The very best streetfightered VFRs you will see have many hours of fabrication work into them getting things to look just right. This is the best one I have seen and a tremendous amount of work went into it. Fabricating body parts from scratch is not easy:

https://www.superstreetbike.com/seb-seebachers-custom-streetfighter-1996-vfr750

I wouldn't bother touching the motor, that's when things start getting seriously expensive. Spend that money on improving the suspension.

MM37 and Dav668 like this.
  3. MM37

MM37 New Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm not too afraid of a little custom fabrications. This will be a slow winter project to keep busy mostly. In terms of engine mods I'm only thinking of opening up the airbox, exhaust and tuning the carb/Fi respectively. The track is where I 'try to' go fast :)

Whats the consensus in terms of mileage. Being a Honda and from my research these VFR's seem to run quite a long ways. I'm seeing mostly around 20-45k with the occasional super low sub 10k and the near 80k miles

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Check SEBSPEED on the other site. He has a knack for building customs.

MM37 likes this.