Best Tyres

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by jandd.calder@bigpond.com, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jandd.calder@bigpond.com

jandd.calder@bigpond.com New Member

Australia
    Map
    Thanks for that Thomas. As I am in Australia cold weather is not much of an issue for me. I have to say I have no real problem with the Dunlops in dry weather. I dont take my VFR down gravell roads its just than on some occasions I find myself a surface that has a covering of light sand covering tar (for example). I find that I lose all grip of this type of suface with the Dunlops. My last bike had Pirelli's and as with my previous other bikes I did not have the amount of side sliding that I have had with the Dunlops. I really appreciate all the advice that I have received here.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

What is the date code on your tires? Almost sound like they are old and have hardened up a bit. Had a set of tires that were old and they didn't have much grip.

3. 2027Matt

2027Matt New Member

United States
    Map
    The stock Dunlop Sportmax D222 have no grip. I have purchased some Dunlop Roadsmart III tires to replace them (on sale + $50.00 rebate). When the snow melts I will see what the difference is.

4. KittyKat1996

KittyKat1996 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all, I'm new around here. Based near Penrith. I picked up a VFR during lockdown and it needs some new tyres for the MOT. I was searching the web and this thread came up, so I thought I'd check in to ask some advice. I found a tyre guide and it recommends MEtzeler Z8s as well as Roadtec 01s. There's a difference in price but I wanted to know which ones suited the VFR the best. Hve any of you guys ridden on them?

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the Madhouse KittyKat1996:Welcome:

When you get time please swing by the "introductions" part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here - tell us a bit about your riding history and ideally post up a photo of your VFR - It is easy click on the "Upload a file" line and follow the prompts to select and upload a photo from your computer.

As for "Which Tyres" this is the eternal question so there are already loads of threads on this.

Have a look at this thread https://vfrworld.com/threads/new-tyres.58361/

Which should give you some comparisons and reviews on many of the major tyre brands.

NB That review is updated annually but as you will see all of the major brand tyres reviewed were actually pretty good. However you should think carefully about putting your life on the line choosing any no-name brand tyre even if they are an awful lot cheaper. You only get one go at life ...

However you do not say which version of VFR you own, or indeed what type of riding you are likely to be doing with it - those are key considerations when it comes to recommending a tyre suitable for you.

So if you intend hitting the race track then you should be looking at super grippy but insanely short life "qually" tyres. These are only good for a few laps before they are done - but wow can you have fun wrecking them!

At the other end of the scale are Touring focused tyres which tend to be multi-compound tyres with a hard wearing central wear strip but with much more grippy rubber on the sides which means the tyres will handle huge mileages of motorway slab without squaring off badly and will still hold their own on twisties.

In between there are a load of very good sport/touring tyres. Indeed when it comes to any of the premium brands - as long as you avoid their bargain basement offer - which often tends to be the tyres fitted as OEM kit - none of the major brands make bad tyres.

What is best is really quite subjective depending on your riding style and indeed you also need to factor in whether you are a "fair weather only" rider or intend commuting in all weathers - where cold/wet weather performance should be very high on your preferences. Certainly I know from visiting relatives living not far from Penrith, a spell of fine weather in the Lakes can change alarmingly quickly and in a few minutes you end up ridng in torrential rain struggling to see where the road went.

Take Care ATGATT

SkiMad