Best bang for the bucks VFR1200 mods

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Manwell, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Map
    Bought a brand new 2010 Model VFR1200F in Santa Barbara last year while me and the missus was there for a wedding, and it's finally made it over to Australia and passed compliance.

Looking through the forums, there are lots of threads about various mods, from 1st and 2nd gear limitation fixes to Exhaust upgrades and Power Commanders.

So, I've got a clean near new bike, and I'd like to make it better. My thoughts include removing unnecessary crap to lighten the bike, then add the least amount of gear to make it work well. One of my personal preferences is to be able to lift the front wheel off the throttle only, and from what I've seen that is possible just by fixing the low gear limitations.

Suggestions based on your experiences would be appreciated. E.g. To remove or not to remove bits, and which mods gave the greatest kick in the pants or made it better to ride.

2. Soul_Purifier

Soul_Purifier New Member

It's a 1200......leave it as it is for now...And I don't think a sport touring bike is ideal for popping wheelies. But what do I know. I'm an ATGATT fool who values life.

Also from what I know of bikes. Getting whp gains is far far more expensive than in a car....it's what $235 USD per 1HP? And there's really nothing "non-vital" on bikes....bikes =/= cars. Everything on a VFR is designed to be useful to the performance of the bike. Even that sideways "V" insert on the lower fairing of the 4th generation models. So unless you're looking to remove the ABS (Not a good idea) there's not much you can really do. But don't quote me on that...I'm not 100% on it.

3. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Unfortunately, I've gotta a bit of this enough is never enough syndrome to. I'm no tecky but from the reading I've done my interests are with ECU Unleashed, I think there's one on your little island, lithium battery and a Dam exaust. I haven't done anything yet so no personal feedback.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the Zoo mate :wave:
    Getting a 1200 and ship to Ausie..... Wow must be torturing to wait for her to arrive.
    Congratulation and happy mods her up to your liking. There are several members with 7th gen will chimp in shortly.
    As for now enjoy your new ride, be safe and ATGATT

5. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

cheapest? Z-bomb or whatever the Bazzaz product is called to remove the 1st/2nd gear limitations.

If you want to lift the front wheel under throttle you are going to need to do some things. You'll have to gut the cat, or cut it off and re-weld a piece of SS in its place. Then add a power commander and slip-on exhaust and have it tuned.

Best mods (same for any bike) is going to be to replace the rear shock with the correct spring and revalve/respring the forks.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If they are allowed down under - then a cheap as chips Vista throttle lock is a great add on especially if you plan on doing really long runs.

7. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Map
    Thanks for the feedback from you all. First, Soul Purifier, you probably don't realise what the low gear limitations are like - because if you did, you'd probably want to fix them too. The bike is heavy, and there are lots of bits that aren't necessary, so shaving some weight would be good. Don't think we even need cats on bikes in Oz, so that might be best off gone. Then the PAIR system and the exhaust flapper valve seem superfluous for a motor to run more efficiently. Just interested to get considered opinions from blokes who have gone and done these things to see if they thought they were a good idea in hindsight. Cheers,

8. Caloola1

Caloola1 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Manwell.
    I have a new 2015 model. What mods did you decide on and did they work?
    I have genuine fairing extenders, work great in rain and cold. Genuine heated grips , work well in keeping hands warm, Centre stand, reduces clearance but still OK so far. R&G radiator guard. fitted easily enough. Hepco Becker panniers and top box, my 3rd set, they are very good. Hugger, helps keep muck off rear shocker, front mud guard extension, without it mud gets up in side the fairing on dirt roads. I have just purchased a Bazzar Z Bomb which I will install this weekend. I want to raise the bars a bit, still working out how to do that. Disconnected the cable which operates the exhaust flap, sounds better at lower speeds but not too load, can't hear it at open road speeds.
    Let me know what you learn.

9. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    What is the purpose of the "V"?

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    NACA duct FTW!

For anyone actually taking this thread serious, Ignore everything that has been said and research Guhl ECU Flash. It is a proven single best modification for the 1200.