Beginning Bike recommendations?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by jenkins, Dec 4, 2006.

1. SonnyX

SonnyX New Member

Here in Portugal we have a perfect starter bike for teenagers! The Yamaha Dt50Lc. We call it here the War bike, ´cause you can do ALMOST everything with it! I has 2 DT50LC, that goes over the 140 km/h!
    Believe me! it's a 50 cc's ,but resistant like a tank.(looks like a skeleton :p)
    I know that this bike is not usual or known in U.S.
    Teenagers here are crazy about that bike! 'cause is VERY cheap, low maintenance costs , cheap parts . (I tunned mine all by myself).
    I just want to give my contribute about starter bikes.

2. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    I think everyone is on track with bike advise. But even more important than that is make sure that you get the right gear. Helmet and jacket at least.

3. SonnyX

SonnyX New Member

FOR SURE Jaymz!

4. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo New Member

Map
    1) Take the MSC. Not only will it give you skills, your insurance will 'thank' you.

2) Ninja 250 or maybe 500 depending on your size. Personally, I started out on a SV650S, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as that bike is pretty balsy even with its 'meager' 68HP. I started out on one only because I'm 6'7" and 300+ lbs, so when I say 'I didn't fit on a Ninja,' you better believe it, lol! I WOULD recommend it as the next step up after the Ninjas, though. They're SO nimble, and the v-twin torque is phenomenal, two things I definetely miss on the VFR.

3) Do NOT cheap out on gear!!! Do some research on which brands are known for higher quality or which materials you should look for in a textile jacket. This doesn't mean you need to spend a fortune, though. New Enough has awesome deals on last year's models all the time. I'm currently rocking a heavy-duty leather jacket and SNELL-rated helmet that I got from there for under $150 brand new. Can't beat it!

4) Know your riding limits and stay within them! This is the biggest piece of advice I can offer that hasen't been said. When I started riding, I took the MSC with a good buddy of mine. He took to bikes like a duck to water and has ALWAYS been WAY faster than me. Now, I could let my ego get the best of me and try to keep up with him and every once in a while I do, but that's always where I get my biggest 'OH SHIT!' moments. Group riding on some twisty backroads can be great, but know how fast you can really push it. Ask to stay in the back of the group, and even if you find yourself faster than the guy in front of you, stay there. You may learn a thing or two about what to do or what NOT to do by watching others. If the group is too fast for you and is constantly pushing you to keep up, find another group. My weekend rides with some of the local guys have increased my riding skills more than any other event I've participated in (except for maybe the MSC), but it's only because I stay within my limits and have a good time just practicing techniques I learned form watching others.

Mike

5. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    First of all take the MSTC. (motorcycle safety training course) they will teach you everything you need to know, you just have to practice it all the time when riding. another good thing about it is you will get your liscense if you pass, from them, not the DMV. Plus you will get a discount on your insurance. Secondly, invest in a good helmet, I dont care if your state of residency doesnt have a helmet law, I dont need a law to tell me to wear a helmet. Get some decent riding leathers, this stuff is always available on E-Bay cheap. I just got a new Icon Mainframe helmet on e-bay for 55.00 + shipping. And they did send it. As for the bike only you can decide that but I know from experience that the Ninja 250 is a great starter bike and youll be ahead of the game going straight for a sport tuned bike. Unless of course you happen to enjoy cruisers. lol. Good Luck, I wish you the best.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    try:

Beginnerbikers.org website

it's all been covered in depth, at length.

anyone who's done dirtriding would likely do ok starting on a 500/600

Kawi EX 500 is small, easy to handle, reliable
    Suzuki GS 550 also good for first bike.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  7. poidog

poidog New Member

Good Advice

the 250 is a good choice , we purchased one for my wife and i feel its a great starter bike, you can get a lot of info from ... ninja250.org ... the 250 riders club.... the computor clean up sounds like a good gig.... my son who
    is thirteen has been bugging me about earning some cash.... i think i will tell
    him about your post. i dont know about your area but the craigslist here is
    littered with used low milage ex250s ... good luck and becareful you have a long and good life ahead of you, be patient !

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Which bike for a beginner is the oldest and most contentious topic at the website : beginnerbikers.com
    It's considered a crime and perversity to ever recommend anything over a 250, even for 6'tall ,220 pound, middle-aged riders!!

Orthodoxy rules over there!!

9. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    250 ninja sounds like the way to go . Because Kawasaki redesined the ninja 250 for 2008 .Used bikes from 2007 and older in perfict condition are for sale for 1000 to 2000 dollars. and the insurance is easyer to take.just be carefull out there.

10. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    1st bike advice:

Get a good helmet before you get a bike... this will allow you to test ride bikes with a good helment that fits you.

I'm short, so the dual sport bike seats were tougher to work on the street than a lower seat. If you're short, ensure you can touch both feet flat on the ground. You'll keep your balance better.

tape over the gear indicator if the bike has one so that you won't miss it on your future VFR :wink:

Centerstands are more useful than you can imagine.

Get a used bike for cheap. You'll still treat it right, but when it tips over, you'll cry about what the bike tipped over on, not the bike.

Oh, and get a good helmet

11. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Jenkins,

A few questions first.

What do you intend to do with a motorcycle? Commute, travel, or save money???? Will this be your only means of transportation? What type of environment do you live in? Big city, country living, suburbs, northern states or southern states, or out in the middle BFE???

The reason I ask is the areas that we live in have all their own risks associated with them. Motorcycling itself is considered a risky and quite possible life threatening. Understand these risks and your ability to identify risks that surround you. Motorcycling is so invigorating; you can just about lose your perception of the dangers that lurk out on the roads.

You have picked a wonderful site to ask your question, but I have one more question for you. What brought you to this site in the first place? I am just curious.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone mentioned the VFR250? was going to say go find an older cb350 those are cool bikes, then or maybe a NT Hawk those are cool too.

13. Big3

Big3 New Member

anybody realize this thread started on 12-04-2006, 05:51 PM ?

14. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Dual-sport 250cc or below. Do a lot of dirt riding; it builds the reflexes for avoiding danger. I can't tell you how many times my dirt-riding skills have saved me on the road.

Lane

15. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, everytime I read it. I just forget that part when I post... thanks for the reminder... did he get a bike?:confused:

16. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Gizzer 1k is always a great starter bike, either that, or a Hayabusa....

17. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Glad I read this. I was going to add my several cents...

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yes. He is my son. He rode on my wife's ninja 250 last summer and then bought himself an EX 500. He took the MSF course last summer. However, he's in Missouri with his bike now and has never taken it to the DMV to get it MO titled and he has never taken his certificate from the MSF course in to get his license endorsed. There are a couple threads with him in it where I took pictures of him riding and guys on the board gave him suggestions.

some threads with his mention:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/usa-west/9186-saturday-ride-6-30-a.html?highlight=jenkins
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/new-riders/9133-reg71s-son-brand-new-rider.html?highlight=jenkins
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/anything-goes/10320-my-bike-heating-up-neutral.html?highlight=jenkins

19. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

These folks advise to start with a smaller bike is not just "Advice" in some areas of the world... for example, in Germany, you CANT buy a big bike (more than 250cc I think) until you are over 18, or have been riding for years and have taken several courses. So when I was over there I saw a ton of young guys riding around on 125's and 250's. They still have plenty of fun let me tell you, but it is a VERY good idea to limit folks to these starting out.

I am not too old yet (25) and started a few years back, I have three friends that bought big bikes (GSXR, CBR, etc) for their first bikes, each has been crashed at least once now. Learn on something cheap!

For money, that computer idea is great! The paper route deal gives good cash too, I had one years ago. Since you are over 15, try stop and shop or a supermarket, they pay pretty well I hear.
    I worked for bike shops for a loooong time, it showed me the value of a wrench and a little attention to detail. You could also mow laws, shovel driveways, clean/detail cars, clean gutters/rake leaves, you name it!

Good luck and if you are ever in the northeast on a bike, let me know, we will hit some corners.