Bear Mountain NY ride 5/29 or 5/30

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by 02 VFR Rider, May 7, 2010.

1. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I am jealous/used to live in rotten NJ and rode Bear Mountain during the day cause I could. No traffic, not many coppers, used to wear out the sides of my tyres before the centers like I do down in sunny FL. There was a killer resouvoir in Wannaque where i came down a hill to the water, made a right and ended up riding thru Harriman State Park, adventually weaved my way to Bear Mountain and Perkins Observatory. I wish I could be up there for that ride, sounds awsome. Keep the shiny side up. Cheers.

2. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    I'll be gearing up for a Monday and Tuesday with the Porsche club at Watkins Glen.... Might be tough to pull it off, but I'll sure try!!

3. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

well the 19th is a sat so you have sunday to pack up.

4. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Hey guys, just heard from 02 and he will probably be out for the ride on the 19th. Gotta head down to SC with the wife. I've never been to Bear Mt so I wouldn't mind still going if anyone else is up for it. Or we can just ride somewhere else and hit Bear Mt some time later when 02 can go too. Thoughts?

5. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    :xxx: :ballchain:

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

well kobe ships out the 22nd I think, so keep the ride as planed and i will catch the next one.
    contact hamza he told me he had a good route to take.
    have a great ride and post some pics for me.

7. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

You got it my man

8. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Wish I could meet up with you on the 19th. Nephew is graduating from Mass Maritime Academy up on the Cape so I'll be there. One of these days....

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey everyone. Wondering if there's been anything further on this one?

On another thread here:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/usa-northeast/29114-getting-feel-poconos-ride.html

there were several of us that were going to head up into the Catskills this coming Saturday (June 19th).

Would you guys have an interest in meeting up at Bear Mountain, then heading up into the Catskills for the day?

I have no idea what mileage would be like for you - most of us are looking at 400-500 for the day.

Would be great to meet up with some other new folks from this forum.

Lets see if we can make this work.

10. PhotosByHamza

PhotosByHamza New Member

Map
    Make it the 20th and I'm in...

11. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Hamza, no can do the on the 20th, having the family over for a fathers day thing at our house. We'll catch up on the next one for sure my man. Not sure the 19th will end up working out, seems to be a bad weekend. Didn't really put 2 and 2 together and figure it was fathers day weekend till not too long ago.

Pliskin - meeting up sounds great but I was hoping to be back home by late afternoon or so to help my girlfriend get ready for having a bunch of people over on the 20th so a 500 mile day isn't going to be in the cards for me unfortunately. Sounds like a great ride though, I'd love to hit those roads sometime. I'll keep my eyes peeled and hopefully hit the next one. I'm sure a few of us around here would head out to meet up with you guys.

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Gotchya. Are you guys still heading over to Bear Mountain though? It might be work out for just a quick meet and greet, say hello, and then be moving on. Just a thought, since PoconoVFR is going to be our tour guide, but I "think" it would work.

13. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

I hope we are still on, waiting to hear back from a couple guys to see what their schedule is looking like. If so, I'm defenitly in for a meet and greet, always cool to meet other members. I'll post after I hear back - if it's on we can set up a place and time to meet up for sure

Chris

14. PhotosByHamza

PhotosByHamza New Member

Map
    Let's hook something up for July...

15. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Chris and I had a blast today up in western Mass. Surprisingly, minimal traffic and we got to do the hairpin in North Adams quite a bit. Weather was awesome, but hot, I guess when 02 is not along for the ride, the sunshine is in full force (sorry, Kevin, you were right about that). Well, was my last ride for the time being, out on the high seas for 45 days, so you guys will have to do July without me and I will have to live vicariously through you guys for those days.

BTW, there was a guy wrenching on his Ducati somewhere in Mass so I beeped my horn as we passed, I hope I didnt piss him off~ Afterall, I am a disgruntled Ducati owner and know how he feels.

16. PhotosByHamza

PhotosByHamza New Member

Map
    Disgruntled? You're not treating your bike properly. I got 32K on my 998, NEVER had a problem! What you got? How much you want for it? Make me a deal I can't refuse, I could always use another Ducati...

17. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Hamza, It's down to parts now, still have frame & cylinder heads, exhaust, tank, front calipers, a few other odds n ends. You inquired about the LED taillight last month (it;s gone).
    If you need parts, lemme know, Monday is my last day to do anything - after that August.

18. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Geez Hamza, how many bikes do you need lol? You must have a freakin barn out back to keep them all in!

Great ride Kobe, I had a blast. Always good catching up with ya. I like that route we took. Except for a couple miles of washboard pavement, the rest was pretty good. Oh, and those freshly painted road snakes. Man, that kinda sucked a lot. The rest was sweet though. No traffic either, and that's saying something on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. Good deal on some gloves & boots, good route, sun, light traffic, hairpin corner about 50 times lol - you can't beat that. I'm trying to get the pics downloaded from my phone but my computer is giving me issues. I'll email them over to ya, got a couple nice ones of your bike.

July sounds good, I'm anxious to get back out again now!

19. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

So where did you guys end up?

20. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

We did 91 up to Noho, then Rt 5 the rest of the way to hit 116W. Took 116 out past where 112 crosses, then stayed on 116 till we hit Rt 8. Took 8 up to the hairpin since we were so close anyway, hung out there for a while. I think it's the law anyway - if you are within 30 minutes of the hairpin, you have to go there LOL. Then basically took 8 back down to that little store in New Boston / Sandisfield and split off there. Awesome day, sorry you had to miss it man. Lets set another one up and get back out there!

How was your trip down south?