BATTERY DIES AFTER RUNNING HOT

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I OWN A 2002 HONDA VFR NON-ABS WITH ABOUT 10500 MILES ON IT. SINCE I BOUGHT THE BIKE (NEW) I HAVE HAS OCCASIONAL PROBLEMS (3-5 TIMES PER YEAR) WITH THE BIKE NOT STARTING DUE TO A DEAD BATTERY. THIS ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAPPEN AFTER RUNNING THE BIKE ABOVE 200-220 DEGREES FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME (I.E. - CITY STOP ANDE GO TRAFIC). THE BIKE DOESN'T ACTUALLY STALL IT JUST LOSES ALL BATTERY POWER WHEN ITS TURNED OFF AND THEN WONT START AGAIN. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE HONDA DEALER TWICE AND THEY COULDN'T REPLICATE THE PROBLEM. I HAVE REPLACED THE BATTERY AND AM STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFULL.

THANKS

2. Guest

Guest Guest

There is a recall of the alternator stator. The condition is in hot weather with the brights on the alternator doesn't put out enough juice to charge the battery. I live in So Fla and I had the same issues until I took it to a dealer and they performed the "Alternator Campaign" as they called it.

Hope this helps.

Noah

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm having a similar problem with my 2002 VFR. My bike was sitting for a few weeks after a trip of 950 miles in 4 days and it wouldn't start. I charged the battery and took it for a ride for about 1/2 hour. When I got back I hooked it up to the battery charger/maintainer and the battery was low again. I have a Power Commander III and an intercom system on the bike. The intercom was installed after my last trip but was not being used on my short ride. I have had the alternator recall service done. I either have a bad battery or the charging system can't keep up with my add ons. I'll have to check into it a bit further.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

!!!!!!! WARNING FIRE RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Brother, my friend and i all purchased 02 vfrs when they first came out.
    We all were victims of the flat battery problem.
    All three bikes had the campaign service for alternator
    change.
    Now all three bikes are showing signs of overheated wiring at the charging harness,one bike has RAW BURNT WIRE at the battery.
    We took the bike to our local dealer to show them.
    They called Honda who didnt even bother to look at the bike,so we picked it up.
    I called Honda customer service,spoke with Maegan
    she couldn't have been any less helpfull.
    I pointed out that even though we are out of warranty
    there is a major fire risk with these bikes and Honda should see this.
    All she kept repeating was the fact that the bike is out
    of warranty.
    Honda customer care is some of worst i've ever seen
    i dought if i'll buy another honda after this!!! shame