Baja Bound with the Three Amigos

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by 34468 Randy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Tomorrow morning first thing I am off to meet up with Reg and Toecutter for a trip down to Baja for a week or so. I have an appointment with physio first thing then out and onto the freeway and I am off. I am trucking the bike down to Sacramento to meet with Reg. I really debated whether I was going to ride or truck the bike down. It really was a horrible pain in the ass getting that bike loaded into the truck. The truck is basically brand new and replaces a truck that is about 4 - 6 inches lower than this one. My ramps are great ramps, three of them side by side that clamp together. They basically cover the whole width of the truck box, but the instructions of the ramps suggest a max height of the truck box as 30". My truck is 36. The bike bottoms out at the crest of the ramp/tailgate.

I have tried jacking up the front of the truck, thus lowering the rear. I unloaded the bike from it that way after I had help from the dealership loading it. That was extremely UN-nerving to do. I tried doing the same to load it and came to the conclusion that this way is far to risky for my liking. So. What I did was I took the truck and bike to where I store my RV. Owner there has a gravel pile there and I was able to climb the front of the truck to the top of that pile in bull low, hook up the ramps. Loading the bike was almost as easy as pushing it into the garage. We shall see what happens in Sacramento where I meet with Reg and we are loading his bike in there too, and trucking onto Atascadero. Such is the plan right now anyway. But I just about gave up on trucking the bike in favour of riding the full distance. That would been one hell of a ride, which I have done before, but Jesus, I am getting too old and worn out for such nonsense.

Today is Sunday, and the bike is all packed up and ready to go. I ordered up a set of Canyon Carvers for this bike. Previously I have just strapped the bike to the back of the truck and it has worked fine. I had no idea how much easier the task would be with the Canyon Carvers. They are just the cat's meow. I gave the bike a go over in the last little while and decided it was time for a new air element. Take a look at the photo. I think it was long over due. Almost embarrassing. But I do think a lot of that crap and crud is from this year. I am sure I replaced that filter not really that long ago.

Most of my packing is done. I have put all my clothing in plastic bags. Socks in one bag, gauchies another, T's yet another. I have found that just packing things into the hard bags turns into a hell of a mess after just a couple days of in and out of the bags then everything is in a disorganized guddam mess. So will give that a try and see how it goes.

Tomorrow, I head to Sacramento. I should arrive there sometime Wednesday. My intent is to take my time. Reg has graciously offered a place for me to lay my head for a couple nights. We will load his bike into the truck whenever, but I think he and I are going to head down to Atascadero after he gets off work Friday afternoon. I think the plan is to meet Toe there. But these plans could change a few times before that happens.

The plans are kinda like flowing flood waters. All over the place. I guess we will not know what a days plans are until we start and finish the day. I think Reg and Toe just took 7 days off work so I don't think we will be making it down to Cabo San Lucas for sure. We shall see just where the road takes us. This is basically my first excursion into Mexico other than dipping into Tecate with Derstuka and Scubalong back in 2012 just for dinner.

I'll try to post up when I can. IMGP0249 (800x600) (2).jpg Baja 2018 1 (800x600) (800x600).jpg IMGP0248 (800x600).jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    For some reason this post does not show up in the "new posts" section at the top of the home page. IDK

3. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Safe travels and I hope youse guys have a plethora of good times!

34468 Randy likes this.
  4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm, that’s where I found it...have a good ride and make sure you all come back safe and sound. Or as my dad would say, “Have a good time whether you like it or not!”

34468 Randy likes this.
  5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    It finally showed up about 10 minutes after I posted it. Must be running on metric time.

skimad4x4 and OOTV like this.
  6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I do believe there will be a plethora of good times to be had.

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    :Pop2:

Wow a road trip...

I will watch with envy and I am sure there will be plenty of tales to tell.

PS when you get south of the border - to the bit where the black-top runs out - if you happen to spot a blue sleep mat lying beside the road down to Baja, maybe bring it back to LA for Long. I know it was strapped onto the back seat of the VFR when we left Rosarito but somewhere along the way it made a bid for freedom.

Have Fun

SkiMad

Scubalong and 34468 Randy like this.
  8. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Drop the back wheels of the truck off a curb (watch your clearance), or to the low point of a driveway, or find a convenient loading ramp (e.g. some store). I tried the 'lifting the front end' of my cargo van, did not care for the uphill all the way push. Much prefer trying to keep the van level-ish, while still lowering the back.

Eagle Creek mesh packing cubes, pricey but better than plastic bags, JMO.

Makes me think of my trip a year back to ride trails in the CO mountains with a friend/his son ... enjoy yourselves :D.

ACE

9. Cadreamin

Cadreamin New Member

United States
    Map
    Safe travels. Sounds like a grand time. Here in west sac if ya all need a hand. Lookin forward to this post progression

Sent by Tapatalk

34468 Randy likes this.
  10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    LOL....Hey John you need to come back and find it :)

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hehe, all the way to Cabo eh? I think Randy has been hitting grandpa's cough medicine. I bet we don't make it to Mulege.

The only guarantee is that we make it to drunk.

chomper and Scubalong like this.
  12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Haha..That sound about right..!

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I appreciate the suggestion but a curb won't come even close to making a difference on the truck. I think my lowered tailgate measures over 36 inches, 6 inches higher than the recommended height for the ramps. When I loaded mine by pulling the front up onto a gravel hill, the front wheels were about 12 inches higher than the rear wheels still at grade level. That would have to be on bitch'n curb.

I have never heard of those cube things. All things considered, small kitchen garbage bags are ideal size and they mold to fit in the hard cases. So far so good with them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I am not sure of the geography of Sac. I think I am staying not far off the I-5 near some hospital. Reg would know better. I don't know if that qualifies for Wes Sac. But thanks for the offer.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I am having some of that recipe right now in Keiser Oregon. I had a prime rib steak at Outback's here and booked into the HI Express.

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    First night from front door.JPG First night at Holiday Inn Express Kieser.JPG First night Kieser Lowes.JPG SO here's my update for today. Some repeating of what I posted in response to others previously. But I'm old now so just leave me alone eh!

I was a little late getting out of Chilliwack this morning. I was intending to leave right after a physio appointment which was finished at 09:15. But that did not happen. I had to return home first and did not get out of there until after 10:00 I think.

No problems or slow downs what so ever at the Huntington/Sumas border crossing. Just drove up, told them where I was going and why I was bringing the bike and I was waved through. That Nexus card is a god sent. I drove by a line up of about 30 cars in the normal lanes who would be questioned a lot more vigorously than me.

Washington State troopers were everywhere. OK no. Who the hell told them I was coming through....ya bastard. Stopped at Rotten Ronnies for a gut bomb and shake for lunch around 13:00 or so on the south side of Tacoma somewhere. Then right back out onto the road. Seattle was slow getting through. Typical these days I hear. I arrived in Portland just in time to meet rush hour, and just as the ol bladder was filling up. Finally pulled off the highway just south of Portland at a gas bar. I had to go so bad, I was shaking for fuck sake. And the guy at the till was counting change for the juice he bought. Jesus! That was near disaster that was!

So I saw this Outback Restaurant in a town called Keiser, whit the Holiday Inn Express right next door. I thought these places were supposed to be sort of discount hotels. I think I ma going to have to pull off the side of the road and sleep on my bike for the next night. I have done that many times before. Wait a minute, I am driving a truck this time!

Anyway, I bit the bullet and booked the room for the night. Comes with a complete hot breakfast in the morning so that's nice.

I think the bike looks a little lonely out there. If I have time on my hands, I can look at tools at the Lowes next door in the morning.

First night enrout from room.JPG First night from front door.JPG

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I tried to pronounce that word and got a cramp in my tongue.

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Day number two.

I left Keizer Oregon (just north of Salem) at about 08:30 ish. Great complimentary breakfast at the Holliday In Express. This was a brand new hotel and I think now one has ever stayed in that room prior tp me. We were right next to the freeway, but the heater/air conditioner produced just enough white noise to drown out any freeway traffic noise without being offensive in itself.

I initially wanted to just get to Weed Ca and call it a night, but I arrived there around 13:00 so just stopped of lunch then kept on going. Pulled into Redding Ca around 15:00 and called it a day. Topped up the tank and bough a big assed bottle of IPA at the service station, then booked into a Motel 6, next door. Now this Motel 6 is no where near as nice at eh Holliday Inn Express, but it serves its purpose. Applebees is right across the street. I guess that is where dinner will be tonight. I like Applebees.

I gotta get out right away. That beer was 1 pint 6 oz of 7.2% IPA and I have had a nip of single malt. Wanna get out for dinner before I get rubber cheeks.

Stay tuned Second night Motel 6 Redding Ca 1.JPG Second Night Motel 6 Redding Ca 2.JPG Second Night Motel 6 Redding Ca 4.JPG

Attached Files:

Samuel likes this.
  19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I went out to Applebees for dinner. I was looking forward to this as I have eaten at Applebees before. Well the ribs were like leather, but tasted good. I waited over 20 minutes for dessert which never came but the bill arrived at my table right quick. The waitress who delivered my bill said they were on their way. but like said, 20 minutes and no desert. I took the bill to the till and asked them to remove the desert and I will pay the bill. They wanted to make the desert as a take out. I said no. Just remove it from the bill and I will pay for what I had

Manager came out to apologise. That was fine and dandy but I declined then told the manager I was disappointed and paid the bill without a tip. No way was I going to tip on less than satisfactory food and the long wait for them to finish my order. Really too bad. I have eaten there before and enjoyed my meal at another Applebees location. I have ribs at Swiss Chalet frequently and the ribs were always soooo tender and fell off the bone. Same with tony Romas.

Left there, bought another bottle of IPA from the corner gas bar and went back to my room to enjoy that. Now I am back on track with this great adventure.

Scubalong likes this.
  20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have arrived in Sacramento and was warmly met by His Worship Mayor Reg. Trying to get set up on the computer so I can visit with all you fine folk. His computer has two monitors. The one on the right side is smaller than the left but that's OK cause I had the cataracts removed already from my right eye.

Have to get to a auto-parts store this afternoon though. Told Reg I needed some exhaust fluids and he looked at me real strange. "Like blinker fluid?" Truck is a diesel so I need DEF fluid. I am nearly out. Actually I carry a gallon with me but read up in the manual and the say all sorts of things about the toxicity of this stuff, wear gloves and wash any spills. So I actually just need a funnel. At my age, I shake too much for an accurate slow pour. I don't know what kind of trouble Re is going to get me into but that remains to be seen.