AZ Ride

Discussion in 'USA - Southwest' started by humvee, Mar 24, 2010.

1. humvee

humvee New Member

Trying to gauge interest in an AZ ride for all us VFR nut-jobs. I was thinking of a two day event, something like leave PHX, go through Wickenburg to 89/White Spar into Prescott, lunch, continue on 89A through Jerome and Sedona. Overnight in Flagstaff (at a hotel within walking distance of a watering hole). Route back to Phoenix via Lake Mary Road to Clints Well, then 87 on into the valley. A simple overnight means packing light, but also allows for a little R&R.

Since it would be a northern route, there's no real rush to get it going (it just means we'd have to get out of the valley early), although I'm up for something as early as late April.

Post up if you're interested and I'll get some ideas of timing, hotel costs, etc, etc.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I rode that exact route a couple times, and it's one of AZ's best circle rides !!

Yarnell Hill very exciting !! But watch for cops !

Another great ride is past Sedona though Oak Creek Canyon.....

Another great dayride is 60/70 to Globe, then 77 to Oracle Junction, then up 80/89 to AJ.

I'd love to join your ride but most unfortunately i'm in NY now.........

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. MrDen

MrDen New Member

I would definitely be interested, except for Memorial Day weekend, when I'll be riding out to SLO 2010.

4. Weyrman

Weyrman New Member

Map
    Humvee,

If I can get my '87 VFR 700F2 ready in time I'd be up for the route. I may have to ride without the fairings. They are in the middle of a restoration from a couple of crashes.

Most of my weekends up to mid June are spoken for. But if I have enough lead time I could clear one.

I'm only a couple miles from you.

5. matty poo

matty poo New Member

i would be intrested but i am to cheap to stay in a hotel so i would campout .

6. humvee

humvee New Member

I figure there will be mixed interest in the hotel option. I would camp it, I just don't want to lug that much crap with me. Where you're cheap, I'm lazy! :laugh:

Once we get some interest and start working a date then I'll throw up some overnight options. I just think it'd be cool to get out for more than a day ride without the planning and packing of a longer trip. Plus, it'd be a great way to meet some of the other VFR folks in AZ!

7. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Count me in! I'd love to take a trip up North riding on my new girl, sounds like a blast! It'd have to be a weekend, my school schedule is pretty locked in M-F in the evenings. As for the overnight... I'd be up for either camping or motel.

8. humvee

humvee New Member

Well I got called out on business a few weeks ago and am hoping to just be home by Memorial Day. And June is filling up quickly. May still be able to find a weekend in there. If nothing else, an early start out of the valley; up to the rim for lunch and then back down.

I'll post back up when I'm back in AZ.