Attempting to bring back a VFR that was left for dead.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by dallasca, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dallasca

dallasca New Member

And the new look is.....................................
    [​IMG]
    Need to still install the tail light, and fix the seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now keep this in mind this project is far from being finished. Its just in a ridable condition now. will tear it down as soon as I get some miles on her.

2. Bowidog

Bowidog New Member

The clear lenses really set it off. BTW I found some stuff called Turtle Wax lense cleaner, removed the oxidised muck off plastic lenses a treat!

3. Rocker1500

Rocker1500 New Member

Unknown
    That looks great! I wasn't sure about all the black when I first saw the tank pic at the top, but this bike really does look great altogether! Like something the dark night would ride

4. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Now sell it to a squid for stupid money as a stealth street fighter and go buy a brand new 2014 VFR1200 :wink:

5. dallasca

dallasca New Member

One of these vfrs would make a great street fighter/stunt bike. you wouldnt have to even put but a 48 tooth sprocket on it to come up.. Might b alittle heavy though..
    Oh got the tail light done and its ready to go in as well as my mirrors are in.. so Im gonna be a squid and get every bit of life outta the old rear tire before I put on the new PP rear..

6. dallasca

dallasca New Member

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After
    Anyone else notice the new levers? yep black Im gonna do carbon fiber look to match the bar ends I ordered. Gonna look really good as a rc clone. Think I even have a idea for seperated
    headlights

7. flash50080

flash50080 New Member

United States
    Map
    looks good now im considering plasti dip i hear lots of good things about it just dont know how well it will hold up.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Looks awesome bud. Plastic dip, do you have to rough up the paint first so it sticks or just clean real good before spraying?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

9. dallasca

dallasca New Member

This black didnt hold up to well when it came to gas. I was told by others that I must not have used enough on the tank. They said you have to mega-dip most the time if you want a durable finish. So when I started with the new paint idea I wanted to do I used ALOT and when I say alot I mean I think I used around 2 cans of each color on just the tank and 1 can of each color on each fairing piece. Gonna clear the hech out of it. I decided to go with aerosol cans for the whole thing just because a friend said it wouldnt work if I did it that way. (you know we all have one of those friends that knows alot about nothing) and no its not my painting buddy, he said it would work.

10. dallasca

dallasca New Member

No you dont do a thing to your current paint job. You may want to strip the wax off.. ONLY THE WAX!!! if you havent even used a "clay bar" on your paint that maybe a good time to do it. That will take off all the wax and crud that sticks to the paint. You know the stuff you feel when you run your hands over the paint after you wash/clean your bike. its a two birds with one stone type deal I guess. But after you Clay bar your paint you will not believe how smooth it is. I do this to my car and truck once a year and rewax them and paint still looks new.

11. dallasca

dallasca New Member

well as mentioned in a thred I answered a few posts ago. I have put on about 450 miles or so since i painted her blacl. she has been in 1 heavy down pour "got caught out away from town" nad been through a few days of 10* weather as well as a few 70* days. Go figure Texas weather changing in just a matter of days.. I removed all the plastic and inspected each repair and only had one small fix on the tail that didnt hold. That was the 1st repair i did and didnt do the prep work corectley. The holes and magor cracks all held the high speeds, temp changes, vibrations, and man handleing I could throw at her. So I began repainting her this past weekend. Gonna go with the Plasti-Dip again only with color this time.. I'll get some pics up soon

12. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Looking good.

13. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Thank you hety can anyone tell me whats going on with photobucket.. I can only uplaod via email and cant move pics around to albums.. Is it just me?: If not the new site is just retarded!!!! But them again it may just be me.. lol So no more pics for now

14. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

And please tell me in your friends words why a rattle can paintjob wont work? Ask him to explain how a paint gun works, gravity, syphon and pressure displacement (this is by the way what a rattle can is). I think you are right, your paint guy is right and your pesimistic friend just had $2000 added to his buy price. I have seen some awesome paintwork with rattle cans, want proof go watch the sides of trains. Some of that artwork is just that, art. But of course we have all seen that car in town where the guy just sprayed the rust so it wasnt red/brown and never cleaned it, filled it and blended the new paint in.

15. dallasca

dallasca New Member

his whole thing was the clear over the Plasti-dip. The funny thing is is that he got his info from one of his buddies thats been doing body work for the past 15 years.. I told him that I know of a few people that went to school and got masters and they still didnt know what they were doing so that him having done it for 15 years didnt mean he knew what he was talking about. So we have a $100 bet on how itll look in a year.

16. dallasca

dallasca New Member

OK got Photobucket up and working somehow I got to a version that wanted me to upload everything by email. It was a legit site but I changed all my info just incase. So here are some pictures of the fresh paint before the decals and final clear went on. The front fender was my test piece thats why its cleared already

17. dallasca

dallasca New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cleaned up with front wheel dipped not cleared.

[​IMG]
    This was just white primer. I painted the Red and White at seperate times to cut down on ridges since you cabt sand on Plasti-dip

[​IMG]
    Tank Painted

[​IMG]
    Tail painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So close to being done at this point

18. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Nice to hear that old girl still runs. Im not sure about the choke on a fi bike. Maybe manual starter valves? Have to get a real oldtimer like toecutter on here to shed some light.

19. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, the 98 & 99 had a fast idle arm. But many people just call it a choke out of habit. But it most definitely is not a choke lever.

20. flash50080

flash50080 New Member

United States
    Map
    dang i like it i was going to plasti dip my new bike until i found out it costs three times as much in germany than in the us it sucks, but i will mess with it when i get home