Attempting to bring back a VFR that was left for dead.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by dallasca, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Ive been back a few time to see family. The last time I went back I took my zx12r had a great time road Hwy 162 more times than I can remember. I also had to hit my favorite road. I really like Cherokee from Hwy 70 over to Orovile. Not alot of people like that road cause its pretty ruff and narrow. I like the challange. Its only really interesting if you meet a car going the other way.. You still in Chico? Oh back to the build I found some pictures uploading them now. They are mostly of the prep and plastic repair before primer. I'll post in a few

2. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Oh ok I'm sorry I dont use a airless type gun to shoot real paint. I use a airless type just to do Plasti-dip it works really well cause My compresor is on the small side for shooting that type of heavy base dip. I guess my little 30 gallon tank liked to run low on air when I did a friends cruiser and it made for some ugly spots in the finish. He bought me all the stuff in return for me shooting it cause I have my garage set up were I can turn it into a temp paint booth. Although crude it works for little projects. I'm looking at getting a new HLVP for this project. Thats the question about the needle size was ment for. a 1.4 is what I would want to use for the top coat and a 1.8 would be for primer and the base correct? I have been doing some research on the net but it seems everyone has a diffrent opinion about everything. lol

3. dallasca

dallasca New Member

[​IMG]
    And the goodies begin to arive..

[​IMG]
    Striped down Front

[​IMG]
    Striped down rear

[​IMG]
    Striped down side view. I have begun to remove all the "house paint in these pics.

[​IMG]
    Left fairing pre repair

[​IMG]
    Another shot of the left I believe

[​IMG]
    Left side

[​IMG]
    The left side is in really bad shape as you can tell

[​IMG]
    Tail just off bike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some prep work to the tail

[​IMG]
    Rite side fairing rash

[​IMG]
    Same rash but with a little cutting. A standard Trans funnel made a very nice flowing contour to cut

[​IMG]
    Anyone guess what I'm gonna try?? yep bump mod. The bars get to close to the tank for my comfort. I have read that this is a problem with these vfrs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. dallasca

dallasca New Member

OK got more pics up lastr night of the progression thus far.

[​IMG]
    Started on repair. This was the only picture I could find of the work in progress. I also lost/misplaced the old rear sprocket and new one for a compairison of how bad it is. If I cant find it I'll take a new one and post it. Its worth the trouble thats how bad it was.

[​IMG]
    I did get my clear dumbo lens's. I had to make a clip for one of them I dont think it turned out to bad..

Also odered some 90/100 watt replacement bulbs in yellow pigment. I like the yellow and I have herd that the stock lighting is alittle lacking as far as being bright enough

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Be careful with high wattage bulbs. I used 2 80/100 H4 lamps in my 6th gen headlights and the battery ran down on the third ride, went to LEDs. Watch for current draw and stock wiring gauge.

Notice color temp difference in lower lights (high and low beam on) and the Osram 65 watt H7 on top.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Think of it as an adventure.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    This is fantastic. I am really digging your posts on this project. There is nothing like fixing someone else's neglect and finding a really great bike under all the rash and crud.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Agreed. There is nothing like it except maybe buying a new Harley.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    So glad you rescued her, been used and abused......keep up the good work dallasca.......cheers:bravo:

10. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Thank you for the tip Once I get fuel in the tank I'll be sure to check out the draw. Im thinking get the current draw with the bike not running. Switch out bulbs and compare? As well as while running to see how big a diffrance there is. they maybe 80/100s Ill double check when I get home

11. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Hey Big you need to come up here and check it out in person youll be suprised. Also I have a route for the trip in March. 1083 miles of twistie hills and farm land in 3 days 2 nights.. We will be staying in Eureka Springs Ar. both nights I put a rider limit of 12 max. I know of 3 that are going no matter what, and a few we'll see's. Would like you to go. Willbe during the week of march 9-15th some time. we will have a date set in feb sometime. anyone else on the board that lives near the DFW area or any of the areas we will be riding through (S/W Mo, S/W Ar.) are free to join us is more than welcome to go as well just let me know so I can save you a spot

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  12. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Good job on resurrecting this 5th Gen. As long as it runs, everything else can be repaired or replaced.
    Left side exhaust were never made for the 5th gen AFAIK, but they were made for the RC45 & will bolt straight up to the headers, but may need modded to get round the under cushion that holds the centre stand etc, but they are extremely expensive :(

Fiaring are ABS & clean crack breaks can be repaired with Acetone just wet the crack leave briefly to soften the plastic, then wiggle to combine it. Leave to dry, then tidy up any rough edges.

Keep up the good work, don't loose heart.

13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Keep up the good work, looking forward to your progress report :thumbsup:

14. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You can calculate your draw for the lights easily. wattage and VA (volt amps) same for resistive load (lights). Current will be watts divided by voltage. My two 80 watt low beams were drawing 13.3 amperes. I did not take into consideration how much the bike was drawing or the relays I put in! Obviously, my total draw exceeded the charging capacity and my battery ran down slowly. My manual says alternator spec is 0.47kW @ 5000rpm. That's 470 watts, which means the ECU, other lights and sensors must be using more than 310 watts, plus a lot of my riding around town was not at 5K, which didn't help.

You are not going to be able to use a multi-meter to measure the amount of current draw of your entire system.

Multi-meters are limited to 10 amps max since to measure current, the meter need to be in series with battery, which means all the current must pass through meter.

You can use a clamp type meter, like the Klein ($200), but they have to made specifically to measure DC current too and expensive.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Well a nice update. Got all the fairings ready to go and put on a few coats of black plasti-dip so I can do some riding to see how shes gonna hold up. It was warm enough to ride with a sweatshirt so I finished the prep and dip work. Gonna wait a few days to put her together and do some riding. Taillight should behere Monday. so thats a plus also.

16. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Question how much draw is a OEM tail/brake light combo pull? I am changing it out with a LED. LED's use alot less than the standard bulb rite? I am also wanting to change the color of the guage cluster so I was going to use the led colored 194's there as well as LED turn indicators in the front behind the clear lense's I know the small bulbs will not change the amount that the lights pull but the tail and front indicators (mine are allways on in the front) would be were I save some drain I'm thinking.

17. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Hey Mohawk, just curious, if one wanted to would a 6th gen under tail exhaust like say a Two Bros be adaptable to the 5th gen? I seem to hear about high mount pipes for 5th gens but never an under tail and just wondered.
    John

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map

Not that I'm Mohawk, but I've never seen a 6th Gen fit the 5th Gen, other than maybe Tink. The only under tail exhaust that I've seen for the 5th Gen is Wolf.

19. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I have seen a 5th Gen with undertail exhaust.....Couple old member here got them but having trouble with two up. The exhaust is rubbing the tire

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I picked up on your comment.

If you just changing brake/tail lights, no problem. I used red LEDs. They were $25 each for the really bright LEDs, still less draw than stock. Lot of low output cheaper replacements out there, check the user comments on the vendors sights. At $25 each, I wasn't going upgrade turn signals. If you do go with amber LEDs, you will need special flasher as the LEDs don't draw enough to make stock flasher flash normally.