Atascadero->Mexico May 2010 - Reg71

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by reg71, May 6, 2010.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Ok, I am ready to head back to Mexico.......Who's in?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm in. Here's what I'm thinking, I come down a day early all packed up. We leave out early in the a.m. and head out like last time but keep going all the way to cabo. I'm trying to check distance right now... It looks doable. What is it like 1000 miles? We could maybe make it an ironbutt thing and get our patches or whatever... I dont know though, that's tough mileage on those roads. 500 in a day is enough for me usually. What do you think? Nah, it's too far. It's over 900 from your place down to la paz...

Let's see, what is there that is a must see no more than 500 miles from your place?

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  4. farmboy

farmboy New Member

Map
    I am interested in riding down to cabos during our canadain winter . I was thinking late noverber or january. Driving to Phoenix unload bike and riding to cabos . What does it take to get the bike across the border, different insurance, bill of sale , etc . Are the highways paved all the way or is there areas of gravel.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Passport for you is all that is required to get back, however, one would be a fool not to have mexican insurance. You can buy the policies online now. What I have is this (besides tools, flat repair, jumper cables, dry gas, etc): passport, driver's license, registration, US insurance card, and mexican insurance. If you do not have mexican insurance and you get into an accident (doesn't matter if some drunk hit you and it is not your fault whatsoever) you go directly to jail until your friends/family cough up 7G's or so. Mex insurance is usually only like 30 bucks for a couple of days.

Roads are like Christmas down in ole Mex....you never know what you are gonna get. haha. For the most part you can take the paved road all the way down, however it is not uncommon to have the road turn to dirt/rock/gravel/sand with absolutely no warning whatsoever...or be closed, and you need to detour down unmarked dirt roads with no detour signs (and the bonus of federalies going thru your stuff whenever they want). In fact, you are lucky if you are doing 60mph and are warned of a speed bump by a sign. Don't be surprised for the speed limit to go from 90kph to 30 to 40 in the middle of nowhere either. Smile man :smile: it's an ADVENTURE!

6. farmboy

farmboy New Member

Map
    thanks derstuka