Article: VFRWorld's Reg71 takes the VFR1200F and 1200F DCT for a spin

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by reg71, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I saw one at the local Honda dealer. It was sitting next to the CBR1000. Yep, it's bigger than the CBR but not nearly as big as I expected. The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was the muffler. It just looks like they didn't think about it much or they put a junior designer on it.

"How bad could he do? It's a muffler!"

<time passes>

"Oh, Christ... that's just ghastly. Well, we already have the design time invested. Ship it!"

I think the smooth farings make it look bigger than it is in photographs because the lines of the faring isn't broken up like other bikes.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Actually did spend quite a bit of time revving it, but when you are stuck in a line with a group of 4 and told slingshotting, passing, etc are not allowed and you are riding a bike that does not belong to you, you do (more or less) as you are told.
    My size comparison was to let people who think the VFR looks too big know that it actually is smaller than a bike that most people consider smaller. I know when I first saw the pics of the bike, I thought it looked like a cow, but when I rode it, it didn't seem that way at all. Let's get it straight about the DCT, I didn't feel it was necessary, but I mentioned some instances where I thought someone might really enjoy it. I believe the example that first came to me was the rider who ocassionally wanted to tear it up in the corners, but might end up in stop and go traffic commuting to work, or something to that effect. I think the bike is a great bike. I'm not as in love with it as Rider magazine, but I tried to review it honestly with the ride I was allowed. I'm sorry if it was disappointing to you, but it was a hoot for me to feel like a player for a day.

3. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    Thanks for the writeup, I'm jealous and want to ride it for myself. But I have too many bikes already according to the wife. Maybe I'll get one for her?!

4. Heathclif2004

Heathclif2004 New Member

I want one!!

5. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Reg, this was my first thought as well... did the Honda reps acknowledge the proximity of the exhaust outlet to the factory luggage? Do you anticipate any issues after seeing it in person?

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It sounds to me that the "real riders" that were invited, never got to ..really ride it as it was meant to, therefore could not form an accurate opinion of its overall performance. Describing fit and finish and not be able to go above 4k rpm ...why bother ? By the way ..why did Honda invite press to these functions and restrict their driving experience? It's obvious...they want biased opinion and limit liability . I think Honda has missed their marks on this one...in an effort to be and stay ahead of the competiion they have created a beast that has very limited market and it reflects in sales. Overpriced, overweigth, overengineered and ugly...those who are unfortunate to own them , will sell them for a big loss.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Oh shit..there for just a mo I thought I was reading about the Rune..