Article: A VFR 1200 in my garage

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by michael, Feb 27, 2010.

1. PETE G

PETE G New Member

France
    Map
    She looks (surprisingly?) very good in white, when seen for real.

2. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I have yet to see the new Viffer in person, and I think I need to do so to verify my comments. At first blush, however, it appears that the VFR has really moved over into the touring side of things, as it has lost its sport bike appearance. Second, it really looks a little too space age for me from the front. The rear end looks really sporty, but it doesn't appear to mesh well with the rear end. As much as Honda makes the best motorcycles on the planet, I really think they need to ditch the style guys and pick up some new ones. Like, who's up there designing these things anyway? Herb Tarlick from WKRP in Cincinatti?

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL need photos for proof they exist. I've only seen reprints from a newspaper. but did hear the Europeans are to get white ones

4. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    My local Honda shop is having it's spring open house this Saturday. Rumor has it they will have one new VFR for sale.

5. Tarhugger

Tarhugger New Member

Saw a red one in the flesh in my burg. Local Honda dealer brought one down as a teaser, and someone walked in, laid down the (steep) asking price and rode out with it the next day. Personally, the design sucks and that exhaust!!! For the same price the BM K1300S is a foregone winner, looks- and performance-wise. The VFR1200 has become a tourer but the stiff seat and small tank take it out of the running in that class. It doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Neither sport nor touring. I'd rather upgrade my current 6th Gen with a 2009 black n white, tyvm.

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Couldn't you have picked a different thread to dis it in ? :rolleyes:

7. puckstr

puckstr New Member

Congrats. I can't wait to see one up close:thumb:

8. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I like the looks of it Richie Rich. She was a shocker at first, but has since grown on me since I saw her in person. I figure, most any stock bike seat is uncomfortable, and pretty much garbage....that needs to be replaced. Secondly, a good majority of folks scrap the stock exhaust, as most of them look hideous.

How does the power delivery feel? Is it very smooth/electric like? If I am not mistaken, this girl doesn't come with a centerstand, so did you pick up a swingarm stand for it yet?

One last question....what mod(s) are you going to do, and in what order?

I commend you for taking the leap and being the first of us to get one. Here, here, nice work chap! Rock on brudda! :guitar:

9. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    thanks mr stuka!

I think power wise, i would describe it in one word.....FAT! this bike would be absolutely happy running at 80 to 100MPH all day, and that is certainly where it feels at its best.
    super sports bikes like the blade and R1 have a very busy and demanding feel compared to this bike, which is a match power wise to them, but much more laid back in its delivery.

the centre stand is an interesting one. they are designed to have one, they are just not fitted with them here as yet. i suspect that when they launch the next version here it wiill have one. in the mean time i will have to buy one as an 'extra'!....

accessories, first up i have a saddle issue and the exhaust to deal with. Heart says exhaust head says seat.....hmmmm. but really im still gonna experiment with te whole seat comfort issue to see if this is a consistant problem for me. i note that aussie dude riding around australia is getting thru some big mileagewith out comment on it so maybe its an individual choice.

that cans definatly gotta go.

but the first thing i will buy for it is an additional tank pad that runs higher up the tank.

10. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Is there actually aftermarket parts for it as of yet? I mean, speaking of exahust and seat, I was wondering if anybody had made anything yet. I bet you could shed an easy 10lbs with an aftermarket exhaust as well.

All I can say about the stock seat is, my stock 5th gen seat had my ass feel like it was bleeding after 100 miles of slabbin', however, after the sargent, it is all graaaaaaavy!

Thanks for responding brotha. Keep the rubba side down!

11. Lighter

Lighter New Member

I am Happy for you Dude!! The power sounds like the old V65 Magna electric smooth. I bet with a new Under muffler set up it will sound sweet!!

12. pvancle

pvancle New Member

Went down to the dealer today to have a look at their first VFR1200. I really want one. But then I've got to give up my RWB. In the US, only the Honda Red is available. I really like white though.

13. loveandsqualor

loveandsqualor New Member

Map
    great write-up. but... i've owned VFRs all the way back to 1985, and the 2010 just rubs me the wrong way. just doesn't look like a VFR.

14. 65hemi

65hemi New Member

Nice write-up. I saw the VFR 1200F for the first time today. It looks good to me except for that monstrosity of a muffler. Whoever designed that thing should be fired. And the manager who approved its design should also be fired. It will be the first thing I replace when I get my new VFR. The local dealer is supposed to have a demo bike in a few weeks, so I'm really looking forward to riding one. Just wish they hadn't made it so damn heavy. Think about how much better the bike would handle and accelerate if it was 100, or even 50 pounds lighter.

15. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I have reserved making many comments other than to tease those that loved or hated it. Now that people are starting to ride some miles, I have a few opinions.

It's a big ole cruise missle and it grows on you. Apparently the motor in it kicks ass.
    I'm the only person on the planet that likes the muffler.
    I'm very interested in DCT version, just from the gadgetry aspect alone.
    If you live on a island, who cares about gas mileage?

16. ronhonest

ronhonest New Member

god i wish you had not posted that picture, now you have me thinking. great review

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thats because it ain't a VFR.. well as we all know em, it's a whole new breed they just happen to badged VFR. Yea, where the H are the white ones hiding? before you know it this will be the common VFR, but like VFRs of the past that slowly fade away, they will never be forgotten.

18. jridge56

jridge56 New Member

Not to rain on anyone's parade, esp. the excitement of a new bike, but I think Honda is going in a direction completely opposite to my way of thinking. Don't they already have two big sport touring, or touring bikes? Let's see, it's heavier, no center stand, bad horn position, heavy, did I say that already? Plus it is more expensive...... Aside from the power and looks, I can't see a single reason to recommend it. All they had to do was to massage the existing model a bit and put it on a diet.

19. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    You're entitled to your opinion, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean Honda got it wrong. ;)

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Well, those are two fairly decent reasons to recommend it right there!

It is not my cup of tea - I already could have had a FJR or a K1300 before this 1200F came out if I had been looking for this kind of bike. Instead I ended up with a 6th G on a weight reduction/suspension upgrade program. Still, the 1200F seems like a solid entry in its class . . . .

Last edited: May 12, 2010