Are VFR's the best sport touring bike ever made. I think so..

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by heymike, Aug 24, 2008.

1. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    The weather wasn’t very summer like last week. After seeing we would have a two day window with sunny conditions, I launched Google maps and setup a route that appeared would bring a smile to my face.

I was not let down in the least. We have some of the best and most beautiful scenery in the Pacific Northwest. I got to try out my new luggage,
    which turned out to be an incredible backrest on those long straight a ways while the throttle lock was engaged. I even played a little air guitar while listening to Van Halen.

I left my place at 7am on Friday and slabbed it from Kirkland to Arlington and hit Hwy 530 and then over the North Cascades Hwy, stopping in front of this free bike wash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had not yet hit Hwy 20 east of Tonasket, so today was the day. Stopped for a quick drink in front of this old shack in the Republic area wondering what it must have been like to live in that time period, yet alone in a house that is smaller than my garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sherman Pass was well worth the journey to the NE corner of the state.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kettle Falls area was very nice and Lake Roosevelt was incredible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode south on 395 from Colville to Chewelah. The shortcut to Newport on the map looked like a good time. It began in Chewelah and went to Usk via Hwy 2902 going past 49 degrees ski area. It turned out to be awesome. This road is now on my top 5 in Washington. You really cannot run it hard (unless you have a scout and communcations), but you do not need to. Too much wildlife as you ascend to the ski area and too much livestock on the decent. As I slowly approached 8 cows laying in the shade on the side of the road, the incredible sound of the V4 gear driven cams spooked them and they all went in all different directions which spooked the hell out of me. They outweighed me and the VFR by about 700lbs. That was even after I had my 3rd Snickers bar of the day.

Once in Idaho, I rode Hwy 2 to 200 and ended the day in Clark Fork. There was a cool little tavern a few blocks from the Merriweather Inn I stayed the night. Great small town experience (population 569) and the locals wanted to hear my story of the day. The bartender was easy on the eyes and made some very mind altering beverages which I enjoyed fully. Day 1 = 497 Miles.

I was excited to hit the road early and experience what the day had to offer. I left with fog hanging over the Clark Fork River, which is the first river I have ever seen that flows northward. I rode along this river for over 360 miles!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Montana is a truly inspiring state to ride through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped in Missoula for a break and found these Lockhead Neptune Fire Bombers. Pretty cool stuff. I'm glad they were at the airport and not out and about.
    [​IMG]

Now for the part of the trip which was number one on the list. Lolo Pass. I set the Zune to play “Dark Side of the Moon” and became one with the road. The Lolo Pass Visitor center at the crest looked more like a used bike lot. There had to be over 60 bikes up there. It was great to interact with folks on all different rides and from all parts of the country. I had too much fun on the way up to stop for photos.

Everyone who passes here must have this photo. Someone really needs to slap a VFRWorld sticker on here :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The way down was just as fun as the run up. My GPS really is an incredible tool for twisty roads you do not know. I can set the magnification high enough and quickly glance to see how tight the turns are before I get to them. I found the cabin I will rent for a few days in Lowell along the river (the next time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After reaching Lewiston, I considered stopping for the day, but was still having too much fun to stop. I continued on Hwy 12 just past Delaney, then it was time for the back roads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hwy 261 from Starbuck to Sperry was a gas. Had to really watch the road as it was real tight and had many changes in the elevation once I got past Lyons Ferry State Park along the Snake River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next section was Hwy 260 to Hwy 17 and on to Othello for the night. This worked out well, I met Jim and Bill who had just arrived to the Best Western on their Harley's from Mountain Home, Idaho and were heading back to the wet side in the morning too.

Day 2 = 539 Miles

Now the easy part of the trip. I left about 15 minutes behind the boys on the Harleys and caught up with them at the rest area out of Vantage on I-90 and we rode together and parted ways in North Bend.
    [​IMG]

I got home in 3 hours and hit the lounger in the backyard for a nap in the sun only to be woken up by the rain. Another great trip deposited in the memory bank.

Day 3 = 193 Miles

1271 Miles

Google Map from:I-405 S @47.637230, -122.186760 to:WA-20 @48.544850, -121.425120 to:US-395 @48.302830, -117.772470 to:48.279537,-117.27356 to:ID-200 @48.180360, -116.233700 to:MT-200 @47.832310, -115.583350 to:I-90 E/MT-200 E @46.909840, -114.029760 to:US-12/US

2. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. Great photos!

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Now that's a way too spend a weekend, LoLo pass will defiantly on my 2009 road trip, I always look forward to your weekend road trips :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  4. dualcert

dualcert New Member

WOWSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like a great time. Yet another reason in pictorials that confirms my hate for being a flatlander!!!!!!!!!!

5. i_needit

i_needit New Member

very cool.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Some stunning pictures there, thanks for sharing... One of those days I will have to make a cross country trip.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Great pictures, Thanks for sharing

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Thank you for all your pics - looks like some great riding.

MD

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    :wink: Well done my friend.