Anyone else talking RACING?! <--- of the motorcycle type

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by drewl, Jan 13, 2011.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

They inducted Pedrosa into the MotoGP Legends Hall of Fame at Valencia. Going to miss him, he was definitely a great rider, just had too much bad luck! Let's see how "Whore Gay" does on the Honda. I'm pretty sure MM will do alright...

duccmann likes this.
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    It’s goin to be a brawl between those two.
    Can not wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Well, the grid is set for the final race of the 2018 MotoGP season. Weather has been a major player, rain and mixed conditions have made it even more of an exercise in just getting through it without an injury for the top riders. After the first official test is over on Wednesday, and the following testing moratorium, winter is officially upon us :Smow:. Forecast for the test is low to mid 60's (F). Looking forward to seeing the new teams, new bikes, and new riders moving up. Apparently, Joan Mir has already had his first runout on the Suzuki following the Motegi Round, should have a leg up on the other rookies. Suzuki look to be coming quite good, cautiously expecting some good things from Rinns and Mir.

[​IMG]

Best wishes to Cal, get well soon, the press conferences just aren't the same without you.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Plenty of Asian countries to pick up the slack. Hundred thousand on race day alone, not less than that over an entire race weekend. With the quality of coverage on the web, the cost of a video subscription, coupled with the hassle that is attending a race at Laguna, why bother. Actually, surprised it made it this long.

The whole Goodwood Festival of Speed copycat event has little chance of making it either.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It’s not Laguna that disappoints me, it’s the fact that there are less and less World Championship races being held in the US At one time the US had 3 MotoGP races in the states, Indianapolis, Laguna and Austin, now we only have Austin. With Laguna being the only US track being used for WSBK, it sucks that the US race was pulled with no alternative venue, at least that’s how it appears at the moment.

Sure you can stream it live, I do for most races but if I can attend a race live, without having to spend a lot of money and travel time to get there, I’d like the ability to do so. Coincidentally, Laguna is the closest track to me and doesn’t require too much time or cash to travel there. If there are no races in the states, then traveling outside the US is the only option and sometimes, work and money make that option a little less feasible.

I feel it also shows the level of interest in motorcycle racing here in the states, as you hinted, Asian fans will pack the venue to the hilt and as we can witness, where the fans are, so goes the attention to race promoters and manufacturers alike. It is what it is but again, my disappointment isn’t so much one race but what seems a waning interest in racing here in the states. Maybe that’s just my perception though.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That perception is spot on. All forms of professional racing are on life support, or dead already, in the USA. I gave up on AMA racing when they tried to run it like NECKCAR. There won't be another American World Champion in my lifetime, guaranteed. There isn't one guy on the grid capable of attaining that level of success. ZERO SUPPORT. American Honda got their one championship with Nick, (RIP), but you can't do that type of thing without selling a few thousand machines along the way.

Think about this...When was the last time you saw a press release touting the formation of a Chevron/Amazon Racing team? Exactly. Make fun of Paris Hilton all you want, but remember what team Maverick Vinales rode for when he first came up to the World Championships. THAT, is pretty fucking embarrassing.

9. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Joe Roberts was doing well until he came a cropper yesterday and the good news is that he has a ride for next year which surprised me as Americans do not seem to get much of a chance but the same happens to anybody that does not perform in their first year unless you are Italian or Spanish

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Biaggi to have a moto3 KTM team.
    Wow, great wet racing in all classes,except for all the downed riders of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Nicolo Bulega being a prime example, horrifying season of poor results....I guess that's what it takes to get a promotion at Sky VR46 Racing.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Great racing? OK. I thought the whole weekend was an exercise in survival. Riders getting skittled, or doing it to themselves, especially ugly when you do it with a 2 second lead and gaining precious tenths per lap. I think that unfortunate party seriously damaged any chance they had at making it to the top class, no matter what your last name is. Don't think there were many regulars giving 100%, the season was already decided and the first test of the 2019 season is starting tomorrow. The only things that got decided were that Ajo Racing clinched the team championship and Morbidelli coasted into the rookie of the year title. This type of race is how riders like Troy Bayliss and others end up winning a race as a wild card. We will see next year how they fare when there is a title on the line. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

The real newsworthy thing was Jonas Folger returning to Yamaha as their test rider, which was formally announced today. Apparently Nakasuga-san took the hit for the Yamaha technical disaster this year....but I hope not.

My only, and I mean only, wish for next year, is that the bumbling Simon Crafar doesn't return as the pit lane reporter. I wasn't enthused that I had to hold onto the remote the entire season, so I could the hit the mute button any time that guy was given airtime. It isn't like English is a second language to the guy, he just made it seem that way. I couldn't bear it and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt early in the season. Dylan Grey to pit lane, stat!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Gator and duccmann like this.
  13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    "Dylan Grey to pit lane, stat!"
    LMAO

And he rode tracks at a decent clip.

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm watching the test live, sound off, which sucks, because I'm trying to listen to the engine note differences between the 18's and 19's and he is bumbling around in pit lane and won't STFU.

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'll say this, one of the hardest interviews to watch is Simon interviewing Iannone!

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Ten Kate Racing have declared bankruptcy? Someone just told me this. True?

17. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    This is on Crash net

Ten Kate Racing has declared bankruptcy and started legal proceedings following the last-minute split from Honda in the World Superbike championship.

The 10-time world champions with Honda lost its partnership after the 2018 season finale in Qatar with the Japanese manufacturer opting to run its own World Superbike squad with support from Althea and Moriwaki.

This is going to be expensive regardless of who ever gives way first

18. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    you beat me to posting about this, it is going to be messy and expensive, seems that Honda did not give Ten Kate hardly any notice if you believe Ten Kate,sad way to end a very successful relationship

19. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    This had been cooking for a while, the last WSBK that Freddie Spencer commentated on there was a mention of things not looking good for Ten Kate

Like you say scott very sad way to finish a long relationship and an unpleasant divorce to follow

A lot depends on what the legal papers say, there's a very good case for damages for the crap machine and late delivery of the bike, in any other industry that would be supply of unfit goods

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Shit happens in racing, there are no loyalties, only wins, losses, and truckloads of cash. It's not an easy business, never has been. Honda's legal department and infinitely bigger checkbook will squash Ten Kate like a bug. That's the reality.