Anyone else talking RACING?! <--- of the motorcycle type

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by drewl, Jan 13, 2011.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Was wondering who would post it first. It won't be too long before their isn't a single world championship motorcycle race in the USA, I'm afraid. So much for free admission and corner working, looks like you'll be doing MotoAmerica and AFM type stuff. Not nearly as glamorous, eh? Sad state of affairs across the board. Sorry, man.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

3. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    hopefully it will be on it is a great track and is on my wife and I wish list, hopefully we will be at Philip Island next year for MotoGp if we can time things in correctly,I see that Casey Stoner is leaving Ducati at the end of the years he going back to Honda I wonder???

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The race isn't exactly well attended, at least not like it was in the early 2000's. I think people got tired of having their eyes gouged out every time a race was held. Getting in and out of the place is a fucking goat rope and they ruined Cannery Row by building those monstrosities called condo's. It's just not worth the effort or the cost, you can fly to Austin, do VIP Village, rent a car, eat great food, watch 3 classes of racing + MotoAmerica and still come out even. I'd rather watch BSB anyway.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I read somewhere that they dropped Laguna.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    And all the people in the condos is why they have decibel limits on track days. A royal pain in the ass. They have a decibel gun checking at the track days and they will yank you off the track.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm, when I ran with CSS up there last year, they did have a little chicane by adding cones to the track right after turn 5, so to slow the crest to the top of the hill. I was told that this was where the meter was located. Not sure if that is totally true but I can say that there were at least two bikes on the track that were loud as f@$k! One of them was a KTM 390 with what I would call a nearly open exhaust. You could hear that bike on the other side of the hill when at turn 5!

Although both bikes were close to being overly obnoxious, they were not yanked from the track, so not sure what that was about. Perhaps the school got fined and will be more diligent about sound levels in the future? For as much as I like that track, it feels like its luster is slowly fading. Mazda dropped its sponsorship, it's now Weathertech or some other car accessory company. Who knows how long before it stops having any motorsports events there.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Won't be long now, the sun is setting on the old girl. There is a lot of money and influence just outside the fence line. They will keep it open just for the wealthy guys to run around it on weekends in their vintage Ferrari's. The place is basically a go kart track for MotoGP and WSBK spec machines, kinda like Cadwell Park. It will be a sad day really, had been going there for over 35 years, but I had resigned to the fact that it wasn't worth going back.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I have done 4 track days there, 3 in cars at Skip Barber and 1 on a bike at a private track day, guys at the moto day, basically, just rolled out of the gas coming up to the sound check equipment, then rolled back on after they passed it. I know guys that go there frequently have even resorted to putting the stock pipes back on their machines, it's a helluva way to run a racetrack.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You can't hear the the track action from Cannery Row, but they have built quite a few large residences in the hills surrounding the track. The condo's just ruined the atmosphere by blocking the great view, the street is like a tunnel now. They shut down heathen hill, really started policing the hell out of the place. The last time I went, I was staying in a motorhome overlooking Turn 5. Went for a walk at about 10 at night with a buddy just to go up to the corkscrew and have a couple pulls off the old flask and a cigar, and got harassed no less than 4 times by Monterey County Sheriff's officers, that ended my visits. Spend that kind of money for treatment like that, fuck off.

13. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Monterrey is another place killed by people who say they love the place, Carmel showed how to do it

Noise, etc aside Laguna Seca is doomed, it has the worst vehicular access in the world

It was acceptable in the early 90's when I first went there, now the massive tourist traffic added to all the new residents just means gridlock is near permanent during May to September

It's a wonderful circuit, great to spectate, even better to ride ....the best view however is on TV, assuming you could generate more attendance there'd have to be big monitors everywhere, it's what today's spectators want

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It just seemed like everything fell apart after DORNA showed up. Just never the same. Way too much security, too many access control choke points, too much over lording, my old CT110 had so many different colors of wristbands it looked like fucking pinata. I've put Cadwell Park on the list as one of my must visits, Laguna, never again.

15. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    if you ever make over to Cadwell Park maybe you can nip in for a cuppa as it is my local track

NorcalBoy likes this.
  16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I will definitely hit you up! I sincerely appreciate you reaching out.

I have been looking at trains, planes, automobiles, and hotels quite a bit over the last three months. I have made up my mind that if it doesn't fit my schedule, I will get a bigger hammer and pound that round peg into that square hole. I have watched every video available, now it's time to see and hear the real deal.

17. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    my wife and her parents and me went to Cadwell a few months ago to watch the BSB there it was great and you get a good view of a lot of the track, we will be going again next year

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow just watched Pitlane on Pedrosa’s career and test rider now for KTM till 2020 with rider Zarcco.
    Can’t wait for the Honda’s team, Ducati’s new bike and Yamaha next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo3Niner likes this.