Any pics? galfer brake line install? help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ausbill32, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

Hello,

I've got my 2000 VFR all torn apart and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect all these galfer brake lines. I couldn't find an install guide, tutorial, pictures, or anything online.

Anyone have any pictures of the completed galfer brake line install? I've talked to galfer and they assured me I have the correct kit for my bike but I just can't figure it out.

Here are some pictures, maybe someone can figure it out just from looking at these but I sure can't. I figured out the rear two lines, the clutch line, a short line so that leaves 7 left and 3 are connected via a "T" type thing. I'm assuming that I have to bypass both the black type valves currently on the left and right side of the bike but I can't figure it out. The banjo bolts cannot be screwed into those things because they are one piece which I cannot disassemble.

Anyone seen was this completed installation is suppose to like or have any pictures?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MtnRider

MtnRider New Member

Oh I am so very glad you posted this.....I just picked up the very same lines for my '00 and am sure I too will need help.

3. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

Hey MtnRider - Maybe we can figure this out together then because I've had not luck thus far. I did get a response from one fellow member but he's out of the loop until Oct 10. He said he'll send some pictures when he gets back.

When your kit arrives, take some pictures of the pieces so we can compare parts. I really think I'm missing some pieces or maybe they all are not used, I don't. If we get this figured out though we should have a nice tutorial or installation guide here for anyone else attempting this.. lol

4. benjammer

benjammer New Member

I wanted to subscribe to this thread since I was thinking about do this one day.....Good Luck, and keep us posted. Thanks for helping the rest of us out.

5. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

There's a reason my galfer lines have been sitting on the shelf for a year and a half!

I've talked to and personally been to Galfer USA on a few occasions and they've got nothing to help.

Hopefully going to address the brakes when suspension gets re-done later this year.

6. MtnRider

MtnRider New Member

I picked up the kit used but will take pics and post them up. I was looking at getting them from Cycle Brake so I will give them a call and see what they can offer.

7. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

Not sure they are going to be much help. That's where I got my kit from and it took them 3 shipments before I got the right kit according to Galfer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  8. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

ok so I spent a good 6 hours on this today and a few last night. The rear 2 lines work well and the clutch line works well. Unfortunetly, I could not put my new wave rotor on the rear of the bike because the previous owner stripped the 4 bolts that hold the rotor on (errrr) so I had to put the old pads back on for now. Guess I'll take it some where and have some one try to get those bolts off and then I'll have to buy some new bolts from Honda.

As for the front of the bike, not good news. I read the manual for the brake section of the bike, like 10 times and memorized it so I could understand how the valves work. I first used the "T" type connector which has 3 lines connected to it. I connected one line to the front reservoir and the other two lines to the top right and left ports on the calipers. I still have 4 unused cables, several bolts, 2 long bolts, and cannot figure out how they might connect.

I'm actually glad I took the brakes apart. I spent a good 2-3 hours cleaning the calipers, two of the pistons were seized. Now they all push in easily just using my fingers. Time consuming but worth it.

Luckily I purchased speed bleeders otherwise it would have taken 10 years to bleed the brakes. Those things are truely a gift and I would recommend them. I was unable to replace the bleeder valve near the gas tank/battery because the speed bleeder didn't fit well as a replacement there so I left the stock one in. So total, I replaced 7 valves with speed bleeder which includes the clutch. After about 30 minutes of bleeding all 7 brake lines and reconnecting everything, I took it for a very short ride. Rear brakes and clutch felt great. Front lever felt much tighter than before and I like the new wave rotors and pads however, the bike was not stopping. I was only going 10MPH and couldn't stop very quick at all, way worse than before. My conclusion is that the "T" type 3 cable is not suppose to be for the front lines because it feels like there is not enough pressure being forced down to the pads. I'm highly disappointed at this point and quite frustrated.

Next step is to try and connect two lines directley too the front brake resevoir using the long bolt provided and run those two lines directly to the right and left side top calipers. Only problem is that I don't have two cables available to do this. I seriously think they sent me the wrong cables again after 3 attemps. According to galfer I'm suppose to have 2 cables one with a male and the other a female both with cupplers connecting the two together. I have a 3rd cable with a female cuppler and no other male cable to go with it. So one of my remaining 4 cables is worthless.

Below is a list of what Galfer says comes in the kit but one of my cables has that extra female cuppler so I really only have 10 usable lines. I may just steal one from the other kit that I'm suppose to return to cycle brakes since they kept sending me the wrong stuff. Did I mention they had to send me 3 different shippments? errr !!!

Galfer gave me an inventory list for 99-01 VFR Part# fk003d195c:
    -11 cables total
    - 2 of the 11 are connected with male/female cuppler with a little brass flow valve in the middle about 1/4 size of a dime
    - 3 of the 11 are connectied via a "T" type connector
    - 14 Bolts
    - 2 longer bolts to hold double banjos
    - 30 washers

here are some pics from todays activities. Rear brakes and Clutch are correct but I don't think the front is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

uggggggggggg

10. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

So someone PM'd me and told me I should try bleeding the brakes again. I did and poof, mega tight front lever action. A short test ride confirmed. He mentioned it sometimes takes awhile for the air to work it's way toward the valve.

I'll put the plastics back on tonight so I have some working lights tomorrow. Bleed the brakes one more time and take her for a ride at 70mph and report back.

I still have 4 unused cables and none of the front linked brake cables replaced except for one shorty on the right side. There is no way those linked cablkes can be replaced with the parts I was given. I still think I should be using two independant lines for the front brakes both conecting at the reservoir with a single banjo but not enough parts to do it that way. If the single kit they sells comes with only two lines, then that is what I recommend to everyone. Just do the two front cables at the top of the caliper.

I say for $400, this Galfer kit was a total scam and I do not recommend it to anyone. No technical support at all, it's not a "total replacement" as advertised, no diagram or instructions, and not all the parts line up. I still have 4-5 lines to replace and there is no way I can do so with the remaining parts I have. Hopefully others read this and dont make the same mistake as me.

I do like the Wave Rotors though :)

-Bill-

11. MtnRider

MtnRider New Member

Well Bill you have spent far more time on yours than I have....your pictures are excellent. My whole situation started back in January when I started to replace the head bearings. Yes I did say January...UGH. Oh so the head bearings went onto race tech springs and valves, pair mod, a few other things and just picked up the lines this past month....so I keep finding other things to do and never get her back together. At least I have another.

I will take some pictures of my kit either tomorrow (Sunday) or on Monday and post them up.

Also, where did you get your speed bleeders and how do they work? I have never used them but have heard of them.

Sam

12. Rev

Rev New Member

Wow, I am SO glad I don't have linked brakes.

13. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

All systems go. Went for an easy 50 mile ride to break in the new pads and front rotors. Stopping power is great now plus it's smooth unlike before with my warped rotors. Not sure if it's the new lines or not but in combination with the wave rotors and Galfer pads everything works well. I had to bleed the brakes, again, and again, and again. Even after my ride this afternoon, I bleed them again and I got a tad more air out of the lines. Real good front/rear pressure now at the levers and at the clutch. I seriously would not want to do this project ever again but with the aid of the speedbleeders I kept my sanity, those things rock!!! Again, I used only 7 speedbleeders. An 8th could be used near the tank but I felt the stock one was better for that specific spot because it had a male o-ring on it and was a bit longer.

Speed Bleeder Products, Inc Home

I received confirmation from someone on another forum that I do indeed have the front brakes set up correctly using the "T" type connector with 3 connected cables. He also enlightened me as to how my 4 existing cables could replace the remaining stock ones for the linked brakes however, one of my cables is too short so I'm unable to complete the project at this time. I may try and order a custom line down the road and finish the project but I need to take the bike into the dealership first and get that rear rotor off.

Good luck to anyone else trying to complete this upgrade. I still don't recommend the Galfer kit. Once I get the rear Wave Rotor installed this week, I'll post some additional pics.

-Bill-

14. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    The black part that you ground off a little bit is the speedo sensor. Not to further complicate things, but could that banjo connection on the slave cylinder be installed upside down? In other words, could the bend in the fitting be made to sit more flush with the slave cylinder?

15. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

I originally had that banjo facing the other direction and it was a much better fit but the banjo up at the clutch reservoir was leaking so my only option was to flip it. I spent a good 30-45 minutes trying different postions with the upper clutch banjo but couldn't get it to stop leaking until I totally flipped it the other direction. I tried twisting the cable toward the lower banjo but it was to tight and I couldn'tget it to fully go the other direction. I was carefull not to dremel to far into the speedo sensor so luckily no damage done. Thanks for the advice though :)

-Bill-

16. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

Galfer called me today around noon and said they are going to get a 99-01 bike into their shop, get an installation manual made, and also verify that all the lines in the kit fit on a bike and work. I sent a second disappointed customer email to their tech support which is probably why I received the call. I'll let you know the response I get after this is over, I just want to get the remaining pieces on the bike, finished, and working. I'll post if I receive any more information.

-Bill-

17. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Brakes

Bill, Thanks for keeping us updated. Keep up the good fight!

18. MtnRider

MtnRider New Member

Galfer joined the board and is looking for a 98-01 bike in the "So Cal" area. They will install a set of lines on the bike at no cost for the lines or install.

I hope they come through with this and offer a good tutorial to boot. Well time will tell.

19. ausbill32

ausbill32 New Member

Sweet, I just saw they posted like 2-3 times. Someones getting a free install. After having spent so much time with this over the last week I think I would have driven from Texas to CA for it....lol

-Bill-

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  20. MtnRider

MtnRider New Member

I hear you Bill.

I pulled the kit out and took some pictures, now to see if I can post them. Hopefully these are the same parts you have.

Sam
    VFR Kit 1.jpg

VFR Kit 2.jpg

VFR Kit 3.jpg

VFR Kit 4.jpg

VFR Kit 5.jpg

VFR Kit 6.jpg

VFR Kit 7.jpg