Any New Jersey riders?

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by dino71, Apr 30, 2009.

1. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

Nope I'll wait at the stop signs. I'm just playin' with you guys......
    I never go balls out the first ride with anyone I haven't been out with before.
    Besides Dino has been on some of this stuff before.And seeing that it will be an afternoon meet ...well that will limit the high-speed prowess of my brain and nut sack. I'm not a big afternoon traffic kinda guy. I prefer pre-church bell runs when it's me and the deer and this guy. 2009_04220002.jpg

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I have most of the day free, but not all. I'm good until about 4pm, give or take.

I don't have a map or GPS either. We'll find our way back!

If we're going to go up to the area of High Point staying in Jersey, I'll suggest route 519 prior to getting on Route 23 (This is only a suggestion; I don't care which way we go). Route 519 can be picked up as far south as about Stockton, NJ. This can be taken all the way up to Colesville (in Sussex County) before it merges into Route 23, but at that point, Rt. 23 is a small 2 lane road (not like the "highway" section of route 23).

If you want to do the PA side, I don't know the best way to go, but willing to try. Suggestions, PoconoVFR?

As for meet up - once again I'm open to suggestions.

Bbwong - What route were you planning on taking from Heightstown?

On standby.

3. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Remember the day we got caught in the rain! I think my heart was beating a mile a minute!

4. bbwong

bbwong New Member

I'm not opposed to being out early. just thought it would be more convenient a little later on in the day. I'm up for being on the road as soon as it's light out. I usually head out at 7AM and back home by 9:30-10. By then the kids are just finishing breakfast and I haven't missed much time with them. Do we want to head out earlier? Thoughts?

Pliskin, I was thinking about heading up 130 to Rt. 1 to 287, meeting up with Dino up at the Honda dealer on 27 in Metuchen. Where are you coming from? We can always set a waypoint to meet with you. And I'm not keen on rolling up the Rt. 23 highway section from 287, I just don't know a better way. 519 huh? I'll take a look to see where I can pick that up.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey bbwong.

Earlier is fine too. Doesn't matter. I'm not indecisive, just flexible!

I'm in Morris County - up by Budd Lake/Hackettstown (although Hackettstown is Warren County). On the assumption you're heading up to High Point, you'd be heading in this general direction

From where I am to Metuchen is south, and about 45 minutes if I slab it. I hate route 287 anywhere after 9 or 10 am.

I don't want to make you and Dino (and anyone else) go out of the way.

If you're going out earlier, and you're going to be on 287, I can meet you somewhere along there.

Exit 22 is for Route 206. Not exactly filled with wonderful turns, but I'd ride that before I did Rt. 287.

If you're looking to make good time at first, you can also take Route 78 West and pick up any of the county roads out there to head North - there's route 31 and route 517. Route 31 is a relaxing ride. Not sure about 517 - never been on it if South of Route 80. Route 57 not spectacular - a few long sweeping bends here.

I know very few roads south of route 78. Between 78 and 80, I know a few. Once you are north of route 80, I think any of those "back country" roads will be a decent time. Hit or miss.

So, that being said, just give a shout back. We'll make this work. If its easier for me to meet with you guys down south, no problem.

6. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Pliskin,

I can hook up with Dino and OSB in Metuchen and we can motor up 287 to 206 to meet. We can hook up with you somewhere on 206. Anywhere easy to find that you recommend? From there we can find PoconoVFR and save High Point for another day.

Pocono - you're off I-80 right? Is there a place you recommend as a meeting place?

7. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    If you see a VFR (94 4th) on LBI in the summer it could be me - I ride there every year from Chicago (Mom has house in Beach Haven).

8. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

OK.......if you guys want we can meet at the Gap. BB and OSB, Dino knows where it is. We could head up 521 and run some stuff in Warren an Sussex. Pike county is right there and we could cross back over the river mid-way down from Barryville to catch the meat and potatoes of 97. What ever time we leave is cool by me. No one will get lost we'll make sure you guys are pointed in the right direction.The earlier the better but lets take into consideration travel time and hangover time.let me put together a loop on google and I'll post it up.

9. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, LBI is a great place to be in the summer. I have spent many a weekend there. Let me know when you will be around, just never speed on the island, the rent a cops that look 14 years old just love writing tickets!:mad:

10. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Do you mean at the rest area location? I will call you tonight at about 8, ok?

11. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

linky.........

My Saved Places - Google Maps

This loop is about 3 hrs. Great views,good roads. I stopped us at High Point State Park. This is not in stone,it's just an option.We could wind up at Mt Creek for an afternoon cocktail and burger and some terrific views at the water park.:biggrin:
    Everything thru Pa. should be traffic free or as much as could be expected for a Sunday.
    Lemme' know what you guys think.
    Dino there's a Micky D's off 80 in Columbia NJ. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a food joint.:tongue:
    It would be a good starting point.

12. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    You haven't ridden with PoconoVFR as of yet have you? I think you might be in for a little surprise :eek:

13. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    It looks like Pocono has a nice route mapped out. I know where the McDonalds is (I tip the scales at 240, Dino) that he's referring to - its probably about 30 minutes if I slab it on route 80, or 45-50 if I take the fun way. As for the rest area - do you mean in the NJ side or the PA side once you cross the gap?

BB, Dino and OCF - Being that we are meeting up in my general neck of the woods, that makes it the easiest for me. I'd still like to meet up with you guys ASAP, but don't want you to take a route that you weren't planning.

If you want: Take 287N to exit 22 (I think its 22B), but make sure its for Rt. 206 NORTH. Follow for about 1 mile. You'll come to a light (believe its your 3rd light). On the left is a Shell gas station. About another 100 yards up on the Northbound side is a Quick Check Deli.

We could meet at the Quick Check, continue North on 206, pick up 80 West to go meet Pocono at his suggested place. From Quick Check to route 80, figure 20-25 minutes. From Rt. 80 to meet with Pocono, figure another 20 to 25 minutes.

As an option, although I don't know the road, once we get on Route 206 N, we could try taking Route 517 up to route 80. That would add about another 10-15 minutes, I suspect. (Route 206 will be an easy ride; there's nothing too it).

Again - its whatever you guys want to do.

14. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

man I wish I could come....please have another ride in late august so I can be there.

15. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

I was thinking of leaving from the Micky D's instead of the rest area.

16. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

There's gonna' be a " Burger Run" in the Catskills in late July. SEBSPEED is gonna' run that one and it's guaranteed to be a blast

17. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Easy enough...

18. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    The burgers are over rated, I have made bigger, better and better tasting at home. That area was never know for good food but the curves are nice :thumbsup: I think we need to find a better place to eat! :smile:

19. rhenter

rhenter New Member

Rte 517 is a much better option than Rte 206. Wouldn't add much time at all. Its my son's 21 Birthday but I might tag along anyway.

20. poconovfr

poconovfr New Member

Be great to see ya' Randy. It's been a while.
    Hey we gotta' get back up to Romans for a lunch run one day this summer.