Anatomy of a crash

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Echo3Niner, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    WHAT?!?!?!?! THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE NOT! Those are representation of the motorcycle angels who watch over and guide me! They animate in my times of need, and fly me off to safety!

Hehehehe, that was good Zen, best I've heard yet. Thanks for the laugh.

2. Mark

Mark New Member

You said it!!!!!! Lucky that is. On both the get-off and your misses reaction to it. I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.

3. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    So what's the story on the bike? Extreme Powersports in Fredneck have a RWB VFR on the showroom...

4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I took the key with me, and my wife had to mail it back to the dealer near the accident area (2 hours away), so they can finish the estimate; but, so far, on just body work/labor, they're at $9000!!! Hahahahaha!

I bought my bike over two years ago, before all these great deals; I paid a really good price at the time, only $9600; BUT, that's just over what they already want, just for the stuff they've found without the key...

I'm guessing it'll get totaled, but we'll see, who knows with insurance?

I only owe like $5800, so as long as I get close to that, I'm good... Should know more later in the week.

5. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    $9k! What did you do? Ride it off a cliff? Hehe

Too bad it's not a more track friendly motorcycle. That would be a good buy back fixer upper track weapon...but it's a mere VFR, designed to look good and go far.

I happen to be selling a SV1000S, well it's my girlfriend's, but her schedule does not allow her to entertain many prospective buyers so I'm taking care of it. It's an 05, 6700 miles, been down once but everything has been touched up/replaced. She's asking $4500 but I could sell it much lower than that just to get it gone. Let me know if you're interested. It should be on CL in the next couple days.

6. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

VERY glad to hear you both walked away from that one, mate... the gear did it's job, and you were so unscathed you had reflexes and conscious mind enough to take pix for us to ogle. I chalk that up as a win... bikes can be fixed much more easily than bodies...

7. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    They want to sell you a new bike and put you back in debt.
    Personally I would go get the bike and bring it home and fix it myself.

8. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

++++++++++++++++++++++1 on Mr Donalds's advice. Hell, you could part that thing out on here and make another small fortune!

9. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd have to resell it, I'm not much for wrenching anymore, and after the move down here to Virginiabilly, I don't have the facilities for a major mechanical undertaking...

10. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Still haven't gotten the key to the shop, now we're sending it certified mail... Thus still nothing from the insurance adjuster yet.

So, this weekend the family and I took a nice little scenic drive, and there just happened to be a Triumph dealer at the midpoint of it... And I just happened to sit on a new Triumph Daytona 675. So, I don't know if it was all the horror stories or my relatively long torso and short arms, but my expectations were much worse for the seating position then I actually found it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that with a set of Helibars I think the D675 would be just about as comfy as my old Viffer for overall ergos, and the seat was dramatically better then the Viffer's stock seat.

The D675 is 1" taller at the seat, but it is so much thinner, that my feet hit the ground just about the same as on my Viffer. The stock Viffer seat was always a little too wide for me, hurting my hips on long rides as it's squared off profile tried to pry my legs apart unnaturally at the hips.

So, now I just have to wait on the insurance company to find out what the end results are with the old Viffer, then we'll see what happens with this new infatuation I have... 0703101605.jpg

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you have to remember, Triumphs were made for those skinny ass English type dudes.......... remember parts have to come from there to here to get fixed.in other words it will take a while, ask TOECUTTER.... but I think triumphs are a dead sexy bike..

12. asphaultVFR

asphaultVFR New Member

Best wishes, keep your chin up. Hopefully she'll be as good as new, soon!

13. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, somewhere on here someone mentioned wanting to know about the salvage on my bike; looks like they are supposed to be out at the dealers tomorrow, and we'll have this closed out by the end of the week. My wife will let me know what the salvage price is, and I'll post it. If whoever you were was serious, reply or PM me and I'll be happy to work it out with you. Once the deal is done with this bike though, it's gone, so speak up soon!

14. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, so finally got the deal from State Farm:

I paid $9600 for my bike, brand new, in spring 2008. It had around ~5500 miles on it, and a few scratches on the faring, but otherwise was in very good shape.

There is a used one at a dealer here in town, with ~4500 miles on it, in primo shape, for $6999.

State Farm offered me $8321 for the bike, plus $249.63 for taxes and $12 for tags; total $8582.63

I owe $5805.56, which State Farm is paying directly to the lien holder (credit union).

Leaving me a balance of $2777.07 which I will get a check for.

The tow company charge was a total of $655; I had a $500 deductible, so I paid $500, and State Farm paid the $155.

They are also going to cover my medical charges not covered by my medical insurance, up to $2000, per my coverage (which I don't have that much total, I don't think).

They will also reimburse me for two helmets, but that's the only equipment, as that is all that is required by law.

The bike will not be picked up by the insurance company until the 20th, so if someone really wants the salvage, you better let me know soon. My wife did not find out how much they wanted for it.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my coverage, as I have been with it for my trucks, cars and house.

Now I'll have to see if that $2800 down-payment is enough to get that Triumph, with some trick parts, and some new gear...

15. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    i saw that spot you crashed on. it was quite a way down. hotbrakes and i went down that road. it was the most difficult road i ever been on. there are unclear spots of sand.

as for getting 2800 bucks 4 ur bike, thats great you even get something. my brother-in-law had a bike for 8 days then someone hit him, totaled it, and after its all said and done he still owed 400 bucks.

i would maybe think about getting ur bike salvaged but my next bike will be a gsx-r or cbr

16. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    How much they want for the buy back?

17. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    As I said above, I don't know. They are picking it up on Tuesday, so I could find out on Monday, but you'd have to decide quick.

18. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    sorry...didn't read that, but found it upon further inspection. Remember, I am a product of modern public schooling and my reading comprehension skill are as such!:crazy:

Anyway, more curious than anything else. But I guess if its low enough, I could figger something out.

19. Gary951S

Gary951S New Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on the insurance settlement. You did better than I did. I'm happy for you. Nice to know who the good insurance companies are when you have a problem.

20. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    It was interesting, because the rep was saying that they don't do a lot of bikes, and thus had to rely on the dealer's estimate a lot. But, they did OK by me, so I'm happy anyway.

It seems to me that they let me do the bike, because I have my houses, trucks and car thru them.