AM in California

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by A.M, Dec 29, 2016.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    That's REALLY quick. Plus she's holding it up with her foot--- never seen that happen ummm never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, there is concern about that chain. When the bike shop swapped out your tires.... Maybe something was not done quite right in the re-assembly?

The chain should not need to be removed, so unlikely it was put on "backwards" to the original rolling direction. Maybe too tight, causing stress/wear?

If skipping is felt at all, I'd be concerned with the condition of the countershaft sprocket!

If the chain is "going out" as mentioned by RVFR, I'd not mess around, and replace it ASAP!

In any case, great thread on the dash to CA for the holidays. Living the Dream!

3. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW, I have enjoyed all of the photos posted here, those with and without recognizable humans included.
    But this one caught my eye... Nature's art!

Sand Art.jpg

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I find it difficult to believe that the shop had anything to do with the chain...none of that even gets touched during a rear wheel tire change, and it was done at a Honda shop. As I don't know how many miles are on the chain, I can't say for sure, but it would appear the chain is shot and was on it's last leg for some time.

5. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    According to post #85, "Lints cleaned and lubed the chain" Might want to ask him about the tension/condition during said clean & lube.

6. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I agree, Norcalboy. The wheel comes off the other side. The one practical good about with having a single sided swingarm.

They can sometimes go pretty quickly once they start taking a shit. My last chain on my previous bike needed only tiny adjustments for bulk if its 20-25K miles but started getting much worse over the course of its last 2K miles or less.

7. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed about not having to mess with chain for a tire swap...

Wondering if some CA sand might have gotten into the fresh lube, to become a grinding agent?

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Very possible, I suspected that as well. A couple of the shots show riding offroad in wet conditions. However, offroad chains are exposed to much worse than that and don't seem to suffer from it. Of course, offroad machines aren't typically 500+ pounds, 100 HP, and loaded like mini motorhomes. At this point it really doesn't matter, the chain is questionable and should be replaced with a new set of sprockets as soon as possible.

9. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    Limitied Slip

It was mentioned earlier that the Chain Adjustment Pinch Bolt was Seized.
    If this was tightened WITHOUT a Torque Wrench, then it could be Stripped or Seized and the Eccentric is not actually properly Clamped,,.. the Chain could eventually work Loose.
    If the Pinch Bolt was removed/installed Cross-Threaded, then it would Seize without clamping the Eccentric.
    Since I don't actually have any of them New Fangled Thingys,,.. maybe someone with Empirical Experience can Enlighten.
    Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  10. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

All good ideas on the chain...

Here is some background on it:

The chain was put on this summer. Before this trip I maybe had only 4,000 miles at the most on it when I left last week. No issues then.

When I stopped in Albuquerque...after 600 miles, I proceeded to lube and check chain and that's when I discovered it was extremely loose. Since the dealer was putting on new tires, they said they'd adjust the chain while it was up on the lift.

New shoes, lubed and adjusted chain in Albuquerque...perfect. 4,600 mile chain.

Made it out to LA. Lints did service chain and he didn't notice anything amiss.

I left LA and made it to Redlands. I stopped because moto was acting up like it had wriggled a battery terminal loose. That was the case. Fixed that and while unloaded figured I'd lube up chain and check for adjust since Lints and I had several days of riding around also. That's when I notice the chain yesterday.

So...dealer, I assumed torqued the pinch bolt to spec , but 3 guys couldn't get it loose without the additional help of a pry bar.

So couple things: issue with pinch bolt and why the heck can a new chain be that shizzy?...other than AM luck?

Yes, chain was dirty, a little rained in, etc. But I had worse conditions on my Canada trip on a 10,000 mile chain or so and that chain still lasted me many more thousands of miles and never an issue with adjusting chain or intervals of time it needed adjusted.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds to me like they didn't tighten the pinch bolt to torque specs and they may have set your chain too tight, possibly stretching it out?

A chain doesn't stretch that much in that short period of time, especially if it was fine in the first 4,600 miles. A chain is good from 15,000 to 30,000 depending on how you treat it and conditions.

You're not an abusive rider with your riding style ... even under load. Something went amiss when that dealer touched your chain it sounds like. My rule, never let a dealer touch my bike ... but that's me.

12. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    In a Pinch

Who knows what goes on behind the curtain at the Dealer?

I've mentioned 2 scenarios, off a list.
    Another Possibility is;

Pinch Bolt was removed, for what ever reason (teaching a Newbie Mechanic?).
    Wrong Pinch Bolt installed, one with the wrong Thread Pitch.
    With a 3' long Torque Bar, any Bolt can go into a hole, way more than 54ft/lb.

I really hope its a weird Chain Stretch, but that's not likely.

The problem with these Possibilities is,,.. the Thread in the Aluminum Swing Arm Casting is Bugger'd.

Don't wanna scare ya, but all Possibilities need to be explored.
    I suspect Chain & Sprockets are fine, but will get a little beat up with a loose chain.

13. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
  14. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    There have been occasions when a chain has seemed to stretch the most for me in a very short time after applying lube.
    That seems counter-intuitive, but that is my observation.

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Do you clean your chain with every lube?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Age is what you decide to do and not to do.....or do nothing at all. You are an inspiration. Truly. That alone makes you a very productive member of society. Happy New Year!!

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Give us an update on where you are and how it is going...we worry about you!

18. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    No. I think that would be impractical. My bikes chains have not needed a ton of cleaning, as free time has generally not has me riding in dirty situations.
    That should change in the spring, I want to put some miles on the Y2K.
    The previous ride was a VF750S, which is a shaft drive.
    Most of my chain experience recently has been admittedly from the shifter kart, which uses a 428 link. Comparatively short, with small sprockets, high torque loads and link pivot velocity. A cleaning and subsequent lube generally results in an adjustment being required after only a few minutes of flat-out running.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    According to her phone gps, AM pulled out of Phoenix this morning. She's got quite the ride in front of her being from what I heard from her planned schedule, she's needs to be home to go to work tomorrow.

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    According to Google maps, that is over 1200 miles, too many miles for anyone this time of year! Sick day, to be safe!