AM in California

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by A.M, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    or say, Baja in August. ;) better yet central America? I like where this is going

2. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ballsy. Congrats AM. Been tracking your progress. Quite a ride, and quite a lady. Glad you made it home okay and had fun.

3. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    If anyone ever wonders what the VFR is like to live with on a LONG trip in a relatively short period of time, we ALL know who to ask. She should send some links to the stories of her trips to Honda. Maybe they'd offer to give her a new bike and some heated gear so that she can tell the world how you meet the nicest people on a Honda. Just think of the positive advertising for Honda. LOL.

WAY TO GO AM. Another trip under your belt and this one in seems to have presented almost worse conditions than your Canadian trip last year. You're the talk of my daughters grade 2 class. She still thinks you're COOL!! No pun intended. :)

4. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    You think a crew would be able to keep up?

Mabye they could GPS tag her moto, and set up advance groups to catch her coming through. They might hang on for 10 minutes or so.....

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

You are all sooo funny and make me smile!!

Need smiles today...I hurt pretty bad all over skin, but I'm so happy the burns already look WAY better than they feel. I'm also sick too, but it was wonderful to sleep last night in my bed. I woke up and freaked out wondering where I was lolzzz.

Imma read through the thread more and post up more hopefully tonight. I wrote about the cold more in chat box this morning so you can look there real quick. Pretty much, I'd never recommend anyone riding for sustained times in those conditions...

But then again, I'd do it again.

Lots of miles on the trip...just over 3,600.
    Does anyone know at what temp the reading just goes to dashes? The lowest before it went to dashes read 14°F.

20170104_071219.jpg

I rode in negative temps from sundown to sun up.
    But had no idea it was prolly that negative with windchill. I went 90 mph the majority of the time. So prolly -40s ha.

bikebandit-wind-chill-chart.jpg

6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I just assumed you broke it with your bad-ass riding :congratulatory: I'm guessing the sensor (where is it?) probably just got iced over or something like your helmet shield and stopped functioning? Of course, being in Fla I have "absolute zero" experience in these matters so I will defer to one of my esteemed colleagues. Take it easy AM and I hope you get well soon!

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sensor is up front in the bottom middle of the fairing, real PIA to get to. Try toggling through the different setting on your dash first.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Freezing the sensor--that's bad ass
    Hopefully it's working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Biggest problem I had with this sensor was that the wires were short and made it difficult to undo connector while holding fairing (cowl), ended up extending wires 4".

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have never had mine go that way. I am sure it reads "0" at the freezing point Celcius. Does it work when you are reading the engine temps?

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I nominate AM.....VFR GODDESS. I'll never get in any kind of contest with you, AM.

For the record, I can't ride straight because the roads aren't, where I live....thank goodness.

12. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Yeah, straight roads are for farmers, truckers, or people who are foolish enough to believe the destination more important than the journey.

Longest afternoon you'll ever spend is one driving across West Texas. But more than a few bikers are iron butt types.

Some just prefer to ride than drive so they'll take the 10 hour trip from San Diego to the bay area or make the long trek from Chicago to New Orleans. I have a friend who has done both more than once.

Some its just a rite of passage. I rode 600 miles from San Diego to Morrow Bay (hitting some great roads along the way), then to Laguna Seca the next day in a driving rain, then I did a Class school the next day, half a day the next at a track day/product demo put on by a local Honda dealer, then rode home from the track about 450 miles starting at Noon. There's something about being 25 and having a love for riding that makes it worth a try. At least once or twice.

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0160.JPG
    I think this one would suit her just fine

14. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    That chair looks like the monster from Bugs Bunny

[​IMG]

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was wonder just where the hell my fav chair ended up after it was stolen from my personal powder room.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Along with your old furry hand cuffs
    God I miss Bugs B

17. A.M

Day 9 and 10

Las Cruces, NM to Wichita, KS
    Roughly 1:00 pm to 7:00 am on the day students return from Christmas break

3,620 miles from Wichita to LA, CA

Arrived here last night and was put up for the evening by these wonderful people.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After getting a few hours of sleep, I woke around 6 am to shower and get ready to get on the chain.

Janice made us some coffee and I loved on the pets while we waited for company.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two guys were on their way over to help, Scott and Cory.

Scott brought tools and Cory came to help. Since we had a couple hours to spare before Honda opened, we took out a link to see what kind of a difference that would make. Not really much of a difference at all.
    Still so much horizontal give in chain too. Smashed up orings. Really needed a new chain.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We visited a while then headed into town. A chain I could have gotten online for cheap, I was gouged for in the store. Oh well. What do you do when you are at the mercy of time? I had to be back by 7 am Wednesday morning for my students.
    [​IMG]
    Well, chain went on with Cory's help since Scott had to skidaddle room work. I loaded moto, loaded myself with gear, said goodbyes, received a travel companion Cory gave me from Roswell, and took photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wind had picked up and the air was cold. Little did I know just how cold I would be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I had fun taking photos on the way out of Las Cruces and to White Sands.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Before Sands all vehicles had to go through border control checkpoint. I was asked if I was a citizen. I nodded with my Helmet on. They let me proceed right away. Shhhh...don't mention how cray that is. I could have been illegal. Is that all they are allowed to ask? There was no back and forth convo for information seeking from patrol side. :/
    [​IMG]

I passed border patrol happy to see more Sands in the background.
    [​IMG]

Then I just had to go into the Sands. I figure WTH, it's gonna be a late night anyway. May as well enjoy the last of the beautiful day making a fun memory.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Met George on his Honda. You really do meet the nicest people on Hondas. <3 <3[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I rode around a bit and messed in the dunes.

Then I headed into Alamogordo. I stopped to eat. Not because I'm ever hungry, but because I knew my body needed fuel to endure this upcoming all-nighter. I gave moto some fuel too and we were off.

I loved riding by the mountain I saw while I was in the Sands. So beautiful![​IMG][​IMG]

When I got to Carrizozo I was amazed at the illusion of two sunsets. One in the east and the other in the west, divided by mountains. So I had to stop and photograph it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I also begged for people to call me. I talked with RVFR earlier and it was wonderful. I was so bored of singing to myself...and in a way, I really wanted to hear from some people and have a somewhat human connection before I slipped into the overnight darkness alone. I have to say too that I was nervous...I knew this was risky and would not be easy. I talked with a few people, including that dik BP, and then solitude...

Carrizozo also marked the beginning of darkness for the rest of the ride to Wichita's sunrise when I hit home's city limits: 600 miles in the dark. Around least 10 hours with stops...I thought...not 14.[​IMG]

The temps just went downhill...28°F to 23 to 19 to 16 to 14 to --....when whatever happened to temp reading. At air temperature of 14°F, moto runs at 116°F. I think I found a solution to overheating issues. So Marrib, I may not need you to hook me up with fans. ;)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As the Temps plummeted, I kept checking weather at each stop. I also asked many travelers about road conditions where they had come from and where I was headed. I figured first hand accounts would be good to hear. If any moisture was reported, I would have gotten hotel.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also had divided up my ultimate return time so I could nap and warm up as needed. 7:00 am was the absolute latest I could get home. I was able to power nap at several stops and ate another small meal late evening for more fuel. Nothing sux more than to force feed yourself. But I knew I had to do all these things so I would be as safe and alert as possible despite the conditions.

The freezing got to the point where I loathed stopping for gas. I was so bitterly cold getting off moto to pump gas. I couldn't wait to get moving again and have heated gear running.

Ahhh....the heated gear. The vest zoom-zoom gave me helped me be cozy out to California. Coming back I survived because Long gave me heated jacket and gloves to use. I had a heated jacket, but I could never get it to work. My pants did though.

I had a total of 8 layers on my top and bottom, with 3 between the heated gear. 5 layers on my feet. 2 on hands. I couldn't get the gloves to work. Maybe I did something wrong, but the gloves were super thick and warm. But at XS, they were too big for me and let in lots of air. Still, at the wind speeds I was going and the Temps, those gloves are the shizz!!

So on it goes. Freezing. Moto seat so cold my arse could feel the chill after getting back on it from a Gas stop...even through the layers (the last layer being rain gear). Buy gear larger do you can layer. I'm so thankful for that.

There were some casualties:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Frozen things:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Some things on road and travelers:

"What the F*** are you doing out here?!"
    "Crazy!"
    "Aren't you afraid of freezing to death?!"
    "You're on that.. are you serious?"
    Blank stares.
    Whispers.

One man gave me his wife's number...he was traveling to work...but said to call her for a place to stay if I get to Amarillo, TX and I had to stop. <3
    Surprising looks when passing motorists.

A guardian angel who followed me instead of passing me during a stretch of crazy winds over bridges where ice was gathered...the vehicle's must occupant gave me a good feeling someone was there watching out for me...even if they weren't. I was going slow and they could have passed me over the 45 mins before I exited for gas.

Oh yeah...icy bridges...just no herky throttle and VERY slowly roll off it aplroaching bridge and no death grip...you glide right over it then gently roll back on throttle. Only a couple of slight feelings of slip, but nothing that made my adrenaline act up.

Not many animals out in those temps so that was a plus.

Got to OKC and imotopilot called to check on me. It was around 5 am. Only 2 more hours to go. Timed it right. This would prove to be the most brutal stretch.

The whole way I had my feet on rear pegs. The wind seemed to roll off muh boots with less bite. The heated gear seemed to not be on or to be Luke warm. I figured even though I was so cold I couldn't feel it, the gear had to be working because I wasn't going into a severe hypothermic state. I knew I was, but that's why I ate, drank, and power napped.

I had been being pinched on my left leg somehow for a while now...so that was annoying to adjust 8 layers with thick gloves on while riding...Oh well, just thought...it's just some pain that will be gone as soon as I stop...only 2 more hours.

14°F. South of Wichita the temp display went to --. I could not switch it to read engine temp. I wondered if moto was going into shock. But the beast performed and started flawlessly the whole time.
    [​IMG]

Me...not so much:

Delirious, in pain, uncomfortable from 80 layers, nervous about time, shivering uncontrollably, Visor freezing my breath, the mental anguish in knowing my nails were toast. Although, I was blasting my belts to Pink Floyd and was excited as ever to be soooo close to home!!

My Visor was so frozen, but I was able to see out the top of it as I rolled into Wichita to pay my toll. I was so anxious to get home that I was speeding through rush hour traffic and had to catch myself to slow down. Wichita also had more black ice and I wasn't being smart there for a while. Would have sucked to crash in Wichita after 14 hours of craziness. I watched it better, determined to make it okay one piece.

Well, I made it home. Side stand down. Photo. Motor off. I threw myself over moto and shed a few tears of relief. Then inside. Plan: Undress. Shower. Leave for work in 20 mins.[​IMG]

Undress and holy heat lamp...

Was I cooked! That pinch on my left leg...it was my skin broiling for hours.
    [​IMG]

The weird itching under my jacket...it was my torso roasting all over. My sore knees, same thing. Pictures don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]
    I was soooo cold I didn't realize I was being prepped to eat.

But muh feet...cold wind damage.

Oh well. Nothing could be done now. Shower, salve, dresss, leave. OUCH!!!! The most painful shower of my life...

I shivered uncontrollably all day. But the warmth I got from hugging all my students on their first day back from Christmas break was heaven...even though each hug brought me searing pain across my body from the burns.

So worth the journey.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I made it through teaching all day. Thought my hypothermic symptoms started going away in the day, and came home to sleep in my own bed.

When I got home I took a look at the layers under the heated gear. No damage. No melted spots. No holes. How the hell did I burn like I did? Enigma

But what I do know is:

Never be deathly afraid.
    Be aware.
    Be prudent.
    Be cognizant of your abilities and limitations.
    Remember nothing lasts forever.

As I type this in pain, coughing, tipsy from muh wines, feeling muh sheets with muh numb toes, and staring at my damaged hands and nails...I smile.

I felt all the feels of environment and mentality. I was alive the whole trip, Tuesday night as I am now, but in a whole different dimension I cannot explain.
    [​IMG]

But all I know:

Passion...My soul was at home on moto all night long.

Addiction...I'll never seek out to do this on purpose again, but if it happens, so be it...imma press on.

I had the most amazing Christmas and New Year's week of my entire life! The pains will fade and be but a memory...but my experiences will last my lifetime![​IMG]

Marrib, Long, Lint, Mark, Lint's family, Duccman, then Marrib again and an amazing treat to the best wine I've ever had that he made, Janice, Scott, Cory, George, and all the other new folks I interacted with in passing and on the road...my heart grew 80 times to hold you inside. I'll forever love you.[​IMG]

To muh VFRW peeps who were with me as well in spirit and interwebs, I hope you know how much I care and appreciate you. For I'm never alone because of you and this place.[​IMG]

Okay, enough sap...so when are we buying admins new VFRs?!
    We get so much life from VFRW...Let's give them a little. Who's with me?!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Until next time...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

18. A.M

Thank you! I will once I fire it up next. Hope it will work fine. If not, I'll have something else to tinker with. ;)

Thanks for the PIA heads up and diagrams!!

19. A.M

Another wind chart that reaches riding ranges I experienced Tuesday into Wednesday morning.

Maybe this can help you with an idea of what to plan for, especially if you take moto out in winter airs.

[​IMG]

20. A.M

Imma looking better with burns, but skin feeling worse. I have some weird dry cough. But other than that and a bit tired, I'm super swell!

Muh b-day on Saturday so I hope I feel well enough to go dance magic dance!!

https://youtu.be/ZvyNOg4jSRg