Alternative fuel tank?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by redmyst, Aug 3, 2013.

1. redmyst

redmyst New Member

I was wondering if anyone found an alternative fuel tank to the 5 gallon one that Honda decided to put in our VFR's. I can get anywhere between 140 to 180 depending on how I am riding but on long rides that is not nearly enough. My old cbr1100xx had far better range as its tank was 6.1 Gal..

So has anyone found a solution to adding another gallon to our wonderful bikes?

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  3. redmyst

redmyst New Member

there has to be a better alternative than lugging around a external tank..

4. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Don't use excess throttle.

Rather than carrying more fuel and weight- just be more efficient with the fuel you have. Short shift constantly and watch your overall mpg improve!

-Drew

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    An auxiliary fuel tank can be concealed in a top trunk or a saddlebag. Found this over at the Iron Butt Association website. Pay particular attention to the Ducati's fuel cell in the left saddlebag.

link: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag10-p28-31.pdf

Not cheap I'm sure, but your options seem limited at best. Noobtastic14 makes a good point.

6. Volfy

Volfy New Member

Hypermiling a bike like the VFR1200 just seems all wrong. It's like driving a Porsche Panamera S grannie-style. But then again... it's you bike and your journey.

As integrated into the bodywork as the OEM fuel tank, it is next to impossible to fit another tank from another bike and not mess up the looks. If you must carry more fuel, consider an aux fuel can or 2 (see below) for emergency fillup.

Personally, I'd rather just stop a little more often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lshark

lshark New Member

is stopping for gas such an ordeal ????

8. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

I threw one of these in the tailpack with the rain gear on my recent 2000 mile trip. Obviously just for emergencies, but thankfully never needed it. I installed a Tourtank 2.0 on my GPR125R for participating in the Lake Erie Loop, and available from Tourtank.com

Sometimes, yes. If you're touring in a very remote area (mountains, dessert, foreign countries, etc), gas stations can be few and far between. And if you're trying to "make time", nothing kills it like fuel stops. That's why all the Iron Butt guys fit aux fuel tanks. If you feel it's a non-issue, that's fine, but for some people it IS an issue. Let's not beat that point up anymore, eh guys?

9. redmyst

redmyst New Member

so I ask a legitimate question regarding after market gas tank because one of the few flaws on the bike is its range and I get

shortshift or granny shift your bike and drive more efficiently

and this gem

is stopping for gas such an ordeal?

really, this is the great insight you have to offer? I have been riding motorcycles for over 26 years, I raced them when I was younger and have enjoyed being part of the community. When comparing the VFR to other like motorcycles this is the one area it is lacking and Honda knows it, its one of the biggest complaints it gets here in the US regarding the VFR. I got the bike knowing this short coming, hoping that someone had come up with a alternative for it.

Filling up is not an ordeal but when your out doing rides in the mountains that are 45 minutes way to begin with you can suck down half your tank within the first 90 minutes of riding. So with that in mind I posted a question about alternative fuel tanks, i did not expect the responses I got though.

10. lshark

lshark New Member

11. lshark

lshark New Member

according to Honda's specs a Gold Wing's range is about 230 miles..( 35 mpg, 6.6 gal )..is that 70 miles such a big diff ???

12. lshark

lshark New Member

if my fuel range was any further, i'd have to wear Depends when i ride

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I hate HAVING to stop for gas. And range IS a big problem out west where it's commonplace to have 60-70+ miles between gas stations when touring the less-beaten paths. I've had a couple close calls with walking and that's when passing the last station having more than half a tank. Sweating your fuel range when in unfamiliar territory takes the fun out of touring.

I'll carry a liter bottle with me. Not sure if you've seen Wolfman Luggage in Longmont? They have lots of cool stuff for touring and motorcycle camping. A lot of their focus is more on the dirty road riding but they have the fuel bottle and strap on holders here locally and affordable.

Not ideal but affordable.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/

Don't mind those poor guys from the Midwest where it's so overpopulated that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a gas station. They'll never understand.

14. redmyst

redmyst New Member

15. redmyst

redmyst New Member

personally I am looking at a gallon extra on longer rides through the mountains.. something that can carry me if need be once I get past the pass(if you ride the rocky's you know what I am talking about).. just placed my order for the rear trunk to match the side bags.. so I will throw something in there is need be..

This question was posed just to find out if there was an alternative, it seems to not be at this moment.. thanks to everyone who was an adult about it and answered with creative ideas.. guess I shouldn't expect everyone to think and act like a adult.. what was cool was my 9 year old daughter thought of some good ideas for fuel, unlike some other wanna be adults on these forums..

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    A flat rotopax might fit in the bottom of your trunk or in the side case and have the capacity you seek.

Also handled by Wolfman so you could check fit.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    There's an interesting difference in thought on this subject from pavement and gravel road guys. This question comes up here once a year with the same responses as posted here but it's always new people.

Ask the same question on ADV and you'll get post after post how people have 7 gallons on bikes that get 60+mpg. Those guys want to ride three days without stopping for fuel but stop every 2hrs to take photos and see what the rest of these guys will never see. There won't be one comment about the durability of ones bladder.

18. redmyst

redmyst New Member

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    That's for alcohol, not fuel! :)

I think rotopax will be lighter and more durable if they'll fit in the space you have in mind.

I've carried those whiskey bottles while skiing and dented them up. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Billy will be along shortly with a tirade of comments to get your goat with comments about Jo-jos and such. If you can't laugh off a little shit from lshark, billy will be the end of you for sure :)

Ride on and ride fast! I look forward to seeing what you decide and how it all fits!

20. MikB

MikB New Member

I have a 200mile round trip for my place of work, I work shifts so fuel can be an issue. I'd like to have been able to manage my trip on a tankfull.....is that too much to ask????
    Behind the tank dummy panels there is enough room to have created a tank at least a gallon larger... I may have to pick up a second tank and have a play...............