Adventures of a Canuck...

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by Chicky, Apr 28, 2012.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

A friend and I did an impromptu visit to Yosemite one year in the peak of summer (August), we were heading home from Northern California and thought "what the hell" let's stop and check it out. We were able to stay six nights, 3 on the ridge and 3 in the valley. We had to move camp sites once up on the ridge and once in the Valley because we grabbed the "no show" sites and the people finally showed up a day late. We essentially got a full week all without a reservation. As Stuka suggested, get up early and what in the queue, you might get lucky.

Cheers!

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    C'mon Reg, even towing Sarah along we made it up and back in less than 4 hours! Get your old ass moving! Didn't you know that to be a mounty you had to climb the tallest mtn in Canada once a month?!

The way up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I look funny in this one...."I BELIEVE I CAN FLY" haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that Halfdome is more his style....now that is a hike! Cables are a blast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all seriousness...hiking up to Vernal Falls (mist trail, and they call it that for a reason) would be better suited for him. Just go to Happy Isles Trail head and there you go! Oh, and yes, I am wearing a trash bag...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then ride to glacier point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  3. derstuka

Map
    IMO....May is the best month for Yosemite. Midweek, prior to Memorial day. The waterfalls are at max, the crowds are not as bad as after school is out, its greener, and gosh darn it, it is not smoking hot in the valley. The bears are hungry though......put everything scented in a bear locker. Seen it many times where a bear has shredded up gear, tents, and even one bear bent the hood back on a car, and tore thru the glovebox all for some cherry chapstick in the glovebox. Yum!

Getting an early rise is the key to having more peace and quiet (if there is such a thing in Yosemite Valley) in most National Parks....

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sorry, that was me. Just a couple years ago during the height of the cherry chapstick craze

[​IMG]

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You'll know what campsites are frequented by bears, most of them have shattered glass on the ground from the smashed in car windows. Oh, and make sure you don't fall asleep with any food in your pocket!

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    and the canadian thought peacocks were a nuisance

7. derstuka

Map
    Amazing how persistent those big fuzzies can be. Most all of it is caused by careless campers. It is all up to what how "bear prepared" the campers are. For instance, one camper is all by the book...everything in the locker, nothing laying out, the next camper is lazy, and leaves food out, and viola, "el smasho window". When I came back from my hike the first time in Yosemite, one had tore up a car next to me, and the ranger was there, and said it was all for a snickers bar wrapper. The rangers will actually ticket you if you leave food out when noone is around, or after you go to sleep. Last time I camped there, we had no less than 5 wakeups with peeps yelling at the top of their lungs "BEAR BEAR BEAR!!!!" as I am sound asleep! Not to mention we had a group of teenage girls next to use that probably gave one big fuzzy wuzzy a heartattack....poor little guy.

Bears are all over the US, but Yosemite is a little different than most I think, because it is like a "all you can eat buffet" in Vegas....and the bears know this.

Anyways, I digress. :boozer:

[​IMG]

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for the pictures Jason, It is amazing place perfect to take the GS there :) wink......wink.....

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Well, back to the Canadian. Given his recent <ahem> adventures, I thought some modifications to his bike might be necessary...

For starters:
    Randy upgrades.png

better, no?

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hahahahahahaha!

12. Scubalong

United States
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OMG that is funny, I am in tears.......

13. Scubalong

United States
    Dude what happen to my Avatar...........?

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Toe said you needed a new one...

15. Scubalong

United States
    Damn I look goooooooooood :thumbsup:

16. Scubalong

United States
    Where the hell is the Canuk, hope the bear does not have him for breakfast.

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    When you were in Grade three for the third time, did you used to push the grade oners to the ground in the mud too? You are a bad man Reggie.

I got a spot at Wanona or whatever. All that was left in the who park were two there. And the last one was taken by a couple who walked in right after me. Lucky huh (American for Eh!)

Jason sent me some locations for internet of varying capacities and costs all in the valley, but I found a who pile of free sites at the Redwood Lodge quite nearby. But using it I have to stand next to the bike with the notebook on the seat.

Bad news from home. Wasp nests and flooing toilet. So I have work to do when I get home. Apparntly water was quantitive in the hallways.

I have been to a few places already. I wished I was up to those hikes Stuke, but I don't think my broken down body will allow that. Did get up to Glacier Point Info centre and a few others. Got some pix but will post them when I get to a more suitable location.

Stay tuned.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Next stop on this tour is Yosemite National Park. Arrived here earlier in th morning to take my place in line for the First Come First Served. All booked for the weekend. Stopped into the first check-in which must have had some cancellations. There were two tent sites left. I took one, and the couple who arrived about five minutes after me took the last. Now they are full. Talk about luck. Stayed at the Wawona site or something like that:

70 Yosemity Campsite.jpg

Set up camp and did some touring the rest of the day. Thanks to Stuke, I had a heads up of some of the sites that are a must:

71 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

From the area of Glacier Point. The best view point from there I guess is a four mile hike. Not out of the question if all I were wearing was hiking boots, shorts and a tech tee, but I was weighted down with the valuable I have with me which includes the notebook I am writing this on. Weighed about 30 pounds and was carrying it in my tank bag. That and the helmet and jacket made it far too much for this old bugger to trek.

72 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

73 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

74 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

75 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

76 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

77 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

78 Cliff View Glacier Point.jpg

Later in the afternoon, I took another trip back into the valley to the down town Yosemite area. Took a few pix there too but again, not too much walking around due to the baggage. That place is not an easy place to find things. Had to head into the nearest town which is about 20 miles away from my site. I just needed a beer after this hot day.

As warm as it was during the day, it turned quite cold at night. But with the camping gear I bought for this trip, I was very warm. I did have to zip the mummy sleeping bag right up to the top so that the top of my head was covered. I was quite toasty in there.

Amazing how much moisture your body looses in your sleep. The rain fly over my tent was just dripping in the morning. And no. I did not pee the bed.

No bears that I am aware of came for a visit.
    WiFi coverage is almost non existent here. There apparently are a few up in the valley where you pay for but I found this little spot a few miles away that is strong and free. But it is a nuisance balLancing the notebook on the bike and standing there while preparing a report.

I sent the link to this thread to a few friends, family and co-workers (former) so they could read up and see just what this old aged fool has gotten himself into. They may read it, they may delete it.

I received some news via e-mail from my wife. Cell coverage is almost nonexistent too. Seems a wasp’s nest started developing right above our front door. She was able to take care of it while it was small and so far they have not come back. Now today she tells me a minor flood problem from the main plumbing in the house. Got some hallways slightly flooded and some carpet but that is on the mend. I was about to cut this trip short and head home. When I called her today, she was able to figure out how to fix the problem using the internet. I suspect there is a plug somewhere under the outside pipes but she managed to get it flowing. I will have to look at that when I get back. There could be a dead rodent or something in the outside pipes. I hope not as I see that costing me some money.

More to follow

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  19. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    If you sit on the bike and rest the laptop on your tank bag it works a bit easier ...... (on the center stand of course) looks like you are having a hell of a trip there Randy be safe and have a good rest of your post retirement ride...the honey do list isa building.....

20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Too bad I hadn't mentioned this before and got your reply earlier. That sounds like a great way of doing business. My tank bag is quite large and mostly flat on the top. Thanks Crust.