ABS Light code 10 help

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Themotorcyclehistorian, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Themotorcyclehistorian

Themotorcyclehistorian New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello from England, I've just bought a VFR800 ABS VTEC to fix up for the summer, it has unfortunately also come with some gremlins.
    The most significant is the flashing ABS light that I've diagnosed as a code 10 fault meaning its either the front modulator, control unit or wiring as the bike runs well I'm guessing its unlikely to be the crank angle sensor as that would likely cause a significant misfire.
    The question is which of the two components is most commonly associated with failure, the modulator or the control unit?

Is there a way to test them and does anyone in the South west of England have a control unit they would be willing to lend me to test if its that?

Thanks

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Have you tried the simplest fix of finding the connectors involved and pulling them apart and cleaning any corrosion out?

3. Themotorcyclehistorian

Themotorcyclehistorian New Member

United Kingdom
    Good call I'll give it crack, there always going green here due to bad weather and salt on the roads etc

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    If the wiring is OK, check the condition of the wheel sensors for corrosion also......

5. ChristineD

ChristineD New Member

United States
    HI, I am in Tucson, AZ USA and have perhaps the same issue. I love my bike and want to keep it, but unlike you all, I can't fix this ol' girl myself. Honda dealership here just completely passed on finding or fixing it: I did say I would not currently pay more than 250$ to fix it as I gave them 600 last month for the same pervasive problem: it just dies after giving me a K1 light. (my abs is also blinking) and there is a clicking sound up front sometimes. I got it new in 2003, it was stolen after 9 days and recovered, but salvaged. I have since then put 65,000 miles on it and it has been a best friend. I hesitate to pay pretty close to the bike's value to have them take hours to figure it out and fix it. I am on the cusp of selling for parts to get a down payment on another bike, but I could not get anything this sweet today: I have a t$$nager! So, is this K1 light and bike shuts off scenario common? HOnda VFR Interceptor 800 abs 2003.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Christine.
    Have a good look at your Main Fuse B 30amp. The fuse connections and near by wiring can suffer badly from overheating, burning, and high resistance joints which can cause your symptoms. Main Fuse B is the one next to your starter relay not the one in it.
    Are you referring to the Fi light? No such thing as the K1 light!

Attached Files:

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Christine and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

When you get time please swing by the "introductions" part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here and don 't forget to post up a photo or two of your VFR as the folks on here really like photos. It is easy just click the "upload a file" link and follow the prompts to select and upload photos (or a short video showing the fault) from your computer. It is a good idea to update your forum profile to include your bike specs and an approximate location so if you need help then you just may find someone near Tuscon willing to swing by and offer advice or even pick up a spanner if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink:.

As for the issue with your VFR it is always difficult for people to offer pertinent advice as none of us know stuff which you may have a;ready considered/dismissed. So you had the bike from new but when did this issue first arise? Was there any other symptoms at the time? Like did the clocks reset? Did the bike stall or just not start? What was the temperature like at the time. When was its last serviced? All this stuff can help us to focus in on what is going wrong.

As Grum notes there is no K1 light on these bikes as standard.

I guess you may mean the FI (Fuel Injection) light. This should light up steady when you first turn on the ignition and go out and stay out once the engine fires up normally. If however it starts to blink - then watch closely because the ECU is probably sending you a code of short/long blinks which may allow you to home in on the source of a problem. Basically a long blink counts as 10, a short blink counts as one. These FI fault code(or codes) will repeat after a longer gap. I hope this video will better explain.

Post up again once you know whatever FI fault code is being given, and hopefully we can give you better advice on what may be wrong and how to fix it.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

6th Gens are

8. ChristineD

ChristineD New Member

United States
    Wow, Thanks for all of that info. I will update my profile, certainly if I keep the bike. I am willing to check the wiring myself, but I would hope Honda did that during the $600 lookover last month when I came in and said it appreared to me to be electrical.... ugh. I even look forward to using this forum to be able to do so much more myself with my bike. I have done my own fluids and clutch lever replacement, etc, but the beast of an engine does intimidate me!

9. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi skimad4x4.
    Sorry to be a little fussy, but just to clear any confusion. The Fi light goes out at exactly the same time as the Fuel Prime is completed, approx 3secs after Ignition Switch On, not "once the engine fires up normally".
    Cheers.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Christine, I recommend that you give Evan Steel Performance a call and talk to Evan or Phil about your problem. They are on South Dodge Blvd. (520) 294-3050

11. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Have you gone through the 4 steps in the Service Manual for diagnosing this fault code?

Note - the mention of "crank angle sensor" is nothing to do with the engine crank CKP sensor. There is a crank angle sensor for both front and rear modulators, the three wire plug on the modulator.

As Terry and raYzerman suggested go through and clean all connections for at least the front circuit make sure the two electrical connectors at the Front Modulator are clean and good , some Ox-Gard or similar on all connections may help. And, perhaps a good brake fluid flush might help.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022