A tale of two exhausts.... (Delkivic vs. Stock)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by thestumper, Jun 3, 2021.

1. thestumper

thestumper New Member

United States
    As mentioned in previous threads, I was an ardent "anti-piper" - I always said that I would never replaced a perfectly good exhaust with something that makes more noise and offers little to no performance gains. That was until I started riding my (new to me) 2014 VFR. It was without question the most unsatisfying aural experience I've ever had on a bike. As the riding experience overall has changed for me, I decided to buck my own tradition and add a slip-on. I chose Delkevic based on price and sound - the videos I saw were compelling and the investment was considerably more reasonable than others. My initial impressions are as follows:

1) Quality of the kit seemed quite good. All necessary components were supplied and everything fit. The carbon fiber "weave" is good. I don't really have a bar to compare it against so I can't compare and contrast other than against stock.

2) Installation was easy enough. Not much in the way of instructions - its like they figure you've done this before. Even though I hadn't, it was all pretty self explanatory and I managed to find a video online that walked through the basics.

3) The sound is absolutely glorious. I had always heard that VFR's sound great uncorked, but it was really beyond my meager expectations. I removed the baffle (those instructions were actually quote good...) and I'm just letting it scream for now. I always ride with plugs under my helmet and for the first time in memory I can really HEAR what the engine is doing. I don't know what it sounds like at speed for "spectators" but it's absolutely fabulous on the bike.

4) I can discern no meaningful changes in performance. I know the new pipe is considerably lighter, but I don't feel that either. The bike seems to perform as it always has.

5) It looks nicer - I got the DL-10 14" in carbon fiber and it somehow seems at home on the bike. I didn't want the stainless because there's really nothing stainless on the bike . I think it works aesthetically.

We'll see how it holds up over time, but so far it's been a fun experience. One of these days I'm going to swap bikes with my buddy to see what it sounds like in pursuit - he's got an RC-51 so it's a good trade :)

Joe IV and dhinson66 like this.
  2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    PICTURES !!!!!!!! or video - I'm not fussy lol