98 performance

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by matt1986vf500f, Sep 7, 2010.

1. NightViper19

NightViper19 New Member

United States
    Map
    Guess I'll add the flapper valve to the list of things Im deleting as well. Then I can get the rest of that vacuum stuff out of there.

The 6th gen coils have three wires, and the only difference is that they have an independent ground. Im retro fitting 6th gen direct fire coils onto my 2000 to clean up the area.

I have a 1995 CBR 954 RR swing arm on my VFR, and it came with the 954 oil filled shock. From what you guys are saying, should I replace the VFR shock with the 954 shock? It should only be asked to hold as much weight as it was previously (hopefully less with a good weight distributio).

Check out my sig for an idea of what Im doing.

2. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    wells heres my ride report the bike stops so friggin well its scarey! So much easyer to set your corner speed still getting used to howsensitve they are now.Oh i forgot to mention the brake pads i am using (EBC HH) awesome pad takes a couple hundred miles to bed them in but still a great choice. I also weighted the bike to as it sits with a full tank of fuel she came in at 497lbs i didnt think that was to bad!

3. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Have you guys seen a 520 kit for the fifth gen.

4. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    UPDATE recently did a track day on the new front end it work great i had to dial in some preload and firm it up the brakes on the other hand not so much i got lots of fade braking out of the straights but seeing how the bike is just shy of 500lbs makes a huge difference! I'm going to try different rotors and pads amd swap a set of ZX9R (six pot) calipers on to it. stay tuned more more stuff.

5. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  6. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Thanks smiley this thing needs something to help it out in the power department.

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I keep thinking I will install my kit even though the chain and sprockets are still in good condition. Then I will most likely spring for a Speed-o-healer. I have one on the CBR.

8. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Yeah my sprockets are in awesome shape right now so ill spring for everything either this off season or next year. The site claims 2lbs lighter than stock! Serious claim

9. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Most of that is weight savings from the 520 vs. the 530 chain.

10. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    How has your bike done on the track? I guess what I mean what faults have you found?

11. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I rode it at Talageda GP. The only thing I have to compare it too is my 954, and that's not really fair.

Compared to the 954 the VFR was heavy, slow to turn, slow to accelerate and the suspension was very soft. I should have cranked up the preload on the front bit for the track. I did that recently and it really helps with the front. It feels more planted.

On the fastest straight at Little Taladega I reached around 100 mph. With the CBR I hit 115+.

The VFR isn't a great track bike. It's heavy, it's down on power and the suspension is way too soft. Some people ride it on the track just because they like riding it on the track. That is fine. Hell, I passed a few people on the VFR, I did drop down from intermediate to novice, so that really isn't saying much.

Some people here are gonna be pissed that I said this stuff. There will be some that say "It's not the bike, it's the rider." Well, it was the same rider and the only difference was the bike.

My first laps around Little Tally I did 2:22. Very slow. I got it down to about 1:35 and that was all I could do.

With the 954 I was getting lap times of around 1:15. The bike has a lot more in it. I don't. I have yet to drag a knee. There are tons of better riders out there than me.

Don't get my wrong, I really like my VFR. It's a fantastic street bike. It is not a fantastic track bike.

Look, don't be turn off by this. I am following your VFR build with great interest. I am hoping to learn a few things.

As it sits, I have to rebuild my CBR. I crashed it at the track and now have a plate in my shoulder. Gotta get that out and then let the holes fill in before I ride in the track again. That puts me into next year.

12. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Ok we are both on the same page.My suspension was way to firm for me, i was at road atlanta and turn 1,10a,10b it felt like i was hittingtop out scray felling when you lose all the weight off the back tire. I'm going to do couple more track days this year on then next year buy me a CBR 600, ill keep the VFR as a daily rider. going to do a few m ore tweaks before jeannings so ill keep you posted on it.

13. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Remember too that I am a fat ass at 200#. Ha!

14. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

These look exactly like the ones on my '09 ER-6N and they are two prong. They just snap down tight so no bolts required. I might just have to pull one of mine off and shove it into my VFR for shits and giggles. I too am looking into a coil on plug setup. I now have the 6th gen throttlebodies on and would like to get rid of the 5th gen coil setup because 1. I'm using a 6th gen airbox which doesnt have the mounting tabs. 2. Takes away some clutter and weight if you want to count that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...3530415QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  15. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't see why anyone should get upset. Your observations are pretty bang on. The VFR isn't made for the track.

Thats the ticket right there. It's a Sport Touring bike. It's capable on the track, but it really shines at eating up the miles.

Good on anyone that can make it shine at both tasks. :cool:

16. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    are you going to give it a shot slow....it will make you a better ride, did me

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I'd like to but I have been unsuccessful at convincing the "Wifey" it's a good idea. :sad:

18. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Got a update for you guys. I've recently had my battery die on me sticking with the weight lost spirit I started looking for lithium battery on but all the ones I have found were 250 bucks and up but thanks to Mr Jamie D I am having one built with 240cca and only weights 1.50 pounds, the stock battery weights over 8lbs and the cost for him to do this was only...wait for it.......80 bucks! I'll report back to you guys when I get it in my hand and weight both battery and give it the ole matt test. Who knows might be able to get the bikes weight down to the low 480's high 470's!

19. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Tell her to come along. She might enjoy it her self.

20. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I had that idea and now she rides 2up with me on the track. Great fun! :cool: