93 VFR luggage question

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by tyler.smith, Aug 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tyler.smith

tyler.smith New Member

United States
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has found a good luggage system for the 3rd gen VFRs? I know that they used to make a couple systems a while ago but I am having a hard time finding anything.

I am interested in soft or hard bags. I did find this company Ventura and dont know much about them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    I first tried the Tourmaster tri bag line. Well built, worked fine, but not waterproof. Sold them.

Next I went back to my trusty BMW hard luggage from the 80"s. They have a rack for attaching the bags to the bike and key on/off and open. Had to adapt the farme to the bike. Used the rear passenger pegs bracket, frame hole inside tail and frankenbolt hole with extension. Used 3/4" X 1/8" stainless steel flat stock and made my won brackets. Worked great, sturdy and now I have hard waterproof bags with keys that are locked on. Unlock and remove at destination. They lock shut so I don't worry about opening.

But thats not for everyone. You can buy hard bags for the VFR, just not high availability.

Your money, your decision. You may have to get creative.

Larry

3. MotoMonkey

MotoMonkey New Member

For saddle bags Ive got the Givi mono lock system that they built for the Gen3 VFR. I dont however have Givi bags, I modified pelican cases to fit. They even detach rather quickly. I also use a Wolfman Dry Duffle tail bag for longer trips. The whole system is water tight.
    If you have the money and are willing to wait I would highly recommend the Givi system. If you are in the market for any sort of soft luggage or tank bags Wolf Man luggage is always my go to.

4. GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell New Member

United States
    I've used RKA soft luggage on my '90 and been very pleased with it. With some spray on treatment, they've been acceptably "water resistant" - and are easy to attach/remove. Perhaps not the "best" solution, but they've worked well for me on several multi-week trips.

Jeff Rees
    '90 VFR

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Ventura has all sorts or universal luggage for nearly any bike. High quality and durable. It's more a system than a piece of luggage. Imported from New Zealand.

There are several versions of the BMW bags by Krauser. Great bags the locks are fine but the securing mechanism need to be backed up on trips with a bungee. a two dollar insurance policy.

There are several aluminum pannier sets for the 90-93 VFRs. Pricy..

Take a look at the "Giant Loop" luggage. Very durable and great design.

Pretty sure that Corbin made a luggage set for the VFR's called Beetle Bags..

Luggage in general is based on how much stuff ya just can't leave home withoot or how much stuff ya plan on buying at Walmart or Neiman Marcus.

I have seen some DIY creations made from strapping, buckles, Velcro and bags bought at thrift stores that both serve the purpose and look really nifty.