'91 750 vs '06 800

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Hero Danny, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well!

I am back again with another post about possibly buying another VFR. I found a 2006 VFR 800 for $4,000 only has 9,800 miles and is completely stock and "never been down" according to the owner. I talked to him on the phone and got him down to $3,500 he said it's mechanically perfect.

I know 2006 is when they fixed the VTEC and I believe that the looks and condition are clean enough for me to jump on this deal. But I was just wondering what were your thoughts? I will only have one VFR so if I buy this then the 91' has to go. Probably be able to sell her for $1,200. But I was just wondering if you guys felt that the 06 was a worthwhile upgrade over the 91?

I commute daily with the bike so reliability is my #1 concern and although my trusty 91 has always been reliable... she does have 50k miles and has a few minor issues, like some starter clutch noises and a few other things.

Anyway. Really interested in what you guys think. Thanks for any insight! I love these V4 motors and definitely wouldn't get rid of my VFR unless I was getting another!

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sell the 91, Mine has 80,000 miles and I would still ride it cross country if you stuck a gun to my head. I have a 93 that I bought with 15,000 miles which now has 25,000 miles, lots of time/labour/sweat went into both bikes, I learned from the first one which I almost owned since new. When a 93 came around on CL I had to hook up my trailor and buy it. I took the 91 out the other day for its 40 mile romp and it is super smooth, powerful bike, rides nicer than the 93. Both bikes have after market suspension etc on them btw. :mech:

I commute on the 93 about once a week (70+ mile round trip, sometimes you don't put your foot down!) The other work horse is my EX500 which tuned 40,000 miles.

Honestly, my 91 when it had 50,000 miles, I was still riding it where it needed more than its current yearly oil change which it gets now. That being said, go for that 06, sounds like a no-brainer.

3. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Buy the 2006 but keep the 91. Unless of course you need the 1200 badly.

4. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't really need the $1,200.. I guess I just already have too many bikes... I got an 08 CBR600RR which I use for having fun, etc.

Then I have the VFR which I use for commuting about 75 miles a day during the warmer months..

So not sure what the point would be to having 2 bikes that essentially do the exact same thing?

:)

On the other hand I sorta want to keep my old VFR and then just buy a super moto as a 3rd bike. But I think if this 06' is too good of a deal to pass up then I should just get that.

5. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your insight. I'll definitely go check out the 06 and see if its the real deal.

6. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Buy the 06.
    Keep the 91.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    This.....keep the 91. it's sportier than the 06, the 06 is more refined, but lacking that special part of what makes a VFR in the first place. Gear whine ;)